Law School Discussion

Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp

chastenedaspirations

• JD applicant and street performer extraordinaire!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cthenantucketman
    • View Profile
Re: Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2006, 12:11:30 PM »
i may have been wrong but i put unpopular as the authors attitude  instead of draconian..i had a tough time with that one and i had a toug htime with the one that asked what did the author mean by risks in line 28

I also put unpopular, but those were my two choices.  I thought the question asked what word described how the author felt about the results of a government restriction...and it said in the passage that it would be decidedly unpopular with the public?

Guys, they were looking for the author's VALUE judgment. "Draconian" implies that the government is going overboard. Unpopular relates to the FACT that such regulation would be unpopular. This fact doesn't give us any insight into the author's opinion.

Fidelio

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2006, 12:48:03 PM »
i am at the moment...with no avail brainstorming about the cakewalk passage....

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2006, 12:54:00 PM »

I recall one of the answers to a question there being "it was one of the first artforms that transcended racial or cultural barriers" or something like that?  What did the passage explicitly state about the cakewalk or something?

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2006, 01:01:15 PM »
For the Internet passage--draconian vs. unpopular.

I chose Draconian and felt pretty confident about it (not that my confidence is any indicator).

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2006, 01:02:24 PM »
Did anyone else think that the cohesiveness passage was difficult?  Was one of the answers about groupthink that military groups were more likely to have it or were more high pressure and intense or something? 

magnumalv

« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2006, 01:03:31 PM »
Did anyone else think that the cohesiveness passage was difficult?  Was one of the answers about groupthink that military groups were more likely to have it or were more high pressure and intense or something? 

I thought it was very difficult. I was pressed for time, though.

I remember the military one, but I didn't choose that answer.

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2006, 01:03:52 PM »

I remember that answer, but didn't pick it.  I don't recall what I did pick though...I was rushing at that point.

Finch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2006, 01:04:37 PM »
I guessed on the final two of the RC section.  I chose B and D for answer choices...anyone remember their answers here?

chastenedaspirations

• JD applicant and street performer extraordinaire!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cthenantucketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2006, 01:05:48 PM »

I recall one of the answers to a question there being "it was one of the first artforms that transcended racial or cultural barriers" or something like that?  What did the passage explicitly state about the cakewalk or something?

The question was the passage specifically stated which of the following

It was one of the first art forms that transcended racial or cultural barriers in the U.S. Pretty confident about that one.

Another one was how that lady influenced the cakewalk.

Was down to two:
1) She modified it to suit her audiences.
2) She emphasized different parts of the cakewalk for different audiences.

I remember part of the passage said she highlighted and emphasized certain parts for middle class african americans. Next, it said that middle and upper Euros liked her because her version was thought to be the most authentic. Next said the newly rich liked it bc it solidified their newfound social status.

I put 2.

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2006, 01:06:05 PM »

I remember that answer, but didn't pick it.  I don't recall what I did pick though...I was rushing at that point.

I chose that answer, but by that point I was skimming, so i didn't really read any other of the answer choices