Law School Discussion

Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp

tulpen

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp
« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »
It's so much easier to remember when the initial thread is updated!  thanks Maggie!

OK, cakewalk one, isn't there an analogy question in it re: the irony of cakewalk being embarced by the europeans whose style was initially mocked by it ? I think the answer I selected had something to do with popular music. like music that parodies popular music is embraced by popular music.

Nine48

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2006, 01:29:36 PM »
one of the hubble passage questions was a "what's the best way to end the last paragraph?" something about "big bang theory will probably be retained"...?

That's what I put.  

big bang will likely be retained.

Fidelio

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2006, 01:29:41 PM »
Thoughts on the Hubble one (in case it jars anyone's memory):

there was a question asking "what could replace a good bright candle" in reference to the scientists using those stars to measure brightness and therefore calculating Hubbel. I'm trying to remember what the answer was. Was it something like, they were a good measure of true brightness?

Also, was there an answer that said the scientists (or the author?) would likely think that the stars were not sufficient representative group to measure....?  does that ring a bell?

1) Candle: I chose that they were a measure of true brightness.
2) the question you're referring to was something like:  what would proponents of the big bang theory say in response to the evidence from the Ceph stars

I think that I put down that it shouldn't be completely accepted until further evidence...something like that.

got it, now I remember, agreed.

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2006, 01:30:19 PM »
It's so much easier to remember when the initial thread is updated!  thanks Maggie!

OK, cakewalk one, isn't there an analogy question in it re: the irony of cakewalk being embarced by the europeans whose style was initially mocked by it ? I think the answer I selected had something to do with popular music. like music that parodies popular music is embraced by popular music.

Me too

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2006, 01:30:34 PM »
Anyone remember the one with the seedlings that would scatter only if a disaster took out the other trees...... they could not survive with competing plants.  then something saying the trees were about the same height/age in the area.
maybe this was experimental - not sure which section .... :-[

I got that one too, but i had 3 LR.

I think I chose the one where there were no floods that wiped out the seedlings until after they'd become mature trees...

I chose the answer about no seedlings could survive among the full-size trees, thus the size of trees was uniform when the logging company cleared the area.

Fidelio

« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2006, 01:30:50 PM »

agreed.

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2006, 01:31:15 PM »
Candle one--also pretty positive it was true brightness. this should be finalized to (unless there are objetions)

tulpen

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2006, 01:31:18 PM »
I also put shouldn't be completely accepted until further evidence.

Actually, that sounds familiar too. I may be just remembering the answer choices...

4DClaw

• View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2006, 01:31:26 PM »
Also agreed.

agreed.

chastenedaspirations

• JD applicant and street performer extraordinaire!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2006, 01:31:30 PM »

Agreed. It was the longest answer choice. C maybe.