Law School Discussion

Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp

magnumalv

Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp
« on: February 04, 2006, 11:40:30 AM »
Last Updated: Feb 06, 8:21 AM EST

28 questions: (please post your questions and/or answers and I will add them). Unverified answers are in [brackets]. Answers we are pretty sure about are not.

Passage 1: Internet trademarks
(not in order)
1) word in used by author to describe gov't attempts to prohibit internet usage: draconian [large minority chose "unpopular"]
2) Main purpose:
3) Why mention France for info from Jap to Germany: [something about giving an example of how internet communication may cross through different mediums or boundaries]
4) What did the author mean by risks in line 28? business [but a large minority chose "privacy"]
5) which of the following would the author say is included in political sovereignty?  directing physical entities in a set area

Passage 2: Hubble's Law/Constant
1)What would the Big Bang theorists say? [Big bang says universe is exanding. Hubble says object moves away directly prop to distance. Therefore the Hubble kinda supports big bang but not conclusively.]
2) What was the author's opinion about the new Ceph stars? [skepticism or overt dismissal]
3) What could replace "good bright candle"? good measure of true brightness
4) what would proponents of the big bang theory say in response to the evidence from the Ceph stars? it shouldn't be completely accepted until further evidence
5) What Hubble's Law stated:  the rate of expansion was porportional to the distance between the planet and observer
*) Given the tone in paragraph 4 which of the following would be a suitable continuation of the passage. [further evidence needed] --are you guys sure this isn't the same as #4??

Passage 3: The Cakewalk Dance
1)Which can be answered based on info found in the passage? Elements of African dance preserved in cakewalk
2) The passage specifically stated which of the following:
It was one of the first art forms that transcended racial or cultural barriers in the U.S.
3) How did Walker (the lady, whatever her name is) influece the cakewalk: She highlighted different parts to appeal to a diverse audience
4) which of the following is supported in the passage:  that some people used cake walk to express social status (the newly rich people)
5) Analagous to European adoption of cakewalk: Music that becomes popular due to similarities to popular music
6) What was the purpose of mentioning the urbanization, industrialization etc of US during that era.? something to do with showing that the dance had to appeal to many people in order to survive such a complex social context.

Passage 4: Conformity/Groupthinking (thanks Nine!)
1) Q: (27) What would the author and the researchers agree with?
A:  (E) Groupthink doesn't have beneficial effects on the functioning of the group.

*** (B) There are unique factors for groupthink occurring.
This was a contender, but the passage explicitly names some of the factors that lead to groupthink.  It is enticing because the passage, in the end, says that cohesiveness will lead to groupthink, but not by itself (there must be other factors).  Enticing, but incorrect.

2) Q: (28?)  Gives a scenario (weak decision coming about because a lot of disagreement in the group) and asks what the author would think.
A:  The author wouldn’t take this as evidence of groupthink.

3) Q:  What would the author agree with? / What can be inferred from the passage?
A:  Some bad decisions in diplomacy were the result of groupthink.

4) Q:  Which of the following would the author agree with?
A:  Some people in noncohesive groups are subject to psychological pressure.

5)  Main Idea
A: 

6)

7)

8.)   

Re: The Official Feb 06 Post Mortem
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:42:18 AM »
Okay I totally blanked on the Hubble's Law and groupthink passages.  Could we go over some of those?

Also, the one about the doctor whose patient's info got leaked to the newspaper, what was the assumption?  THANKSSSSS

Commie Panda

• Don't worry, I'm not really a commie...or a panda
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:45:10 AM »
Okay I totally blanked on the Hubble's Law and groupthink passages.  Could we go over some of those?

Also, the one about the doctor whose patient's info got leaked to the newspaper, what was the assumption?  THANKSSSSS

I said assumption was that the newspaper had gotten the information through the doctor, or something along those lines.

magnumalv

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 11:47:54 AM »
What was the one about no telekinesis has ever been replicated, and something about warranting research and scientists being interested?

I think I chose the only one that mentioned replication and warranting research or something.

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 11:49:38 AM »
For that one I put that all that warrant research have been replicated.

Do you guys remember the parallels from the first args section, because I'm drawing a complete blank.

WannabeLAW

• Meow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 11:50:10 AM »
I think the way to do the post mortem is to just number them and write as much info on each as you can, People will chip in as much info as time goes by.

Re: Post Mortem - Feb 06 Reading Comp
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2006, 11:54:01 AM »
What would the adherents of big bang theory have to say? 

What would the author and the authority agree on about cohesiveness or groupthink?

WannabeLAW

• Meow!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2006, 11:56:05 AM »
1st Passage (controlling electronic info, or something like that)
 6 questions? (not in order nor necessarily right)

1) word in papr describing author opin. about gov't control --draconian
2) Main purpose-
3) Why mention info concerning France for info. from Jap to Germany
4) What is defined as sovereignity--gov't control of entities in a geo. space. (saw that in passage)
5)

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2006, 11:57:25 AM »

The confidential information that paper published is medical information.

Fidelio

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2006, 11:59:04 AM »
Big bang passage

i think it was the 3 or 4th question..big bang theory gouges something from hubble