My mistake. :)

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: should i apply to suffolk?
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2006, 11:54:31 AM »
This may warrant a new thread, but it came up a page of posts ago and I'm intrigued enough that I'd like to see more discussion:

How does the quality/reputation of an undergrad program impact on the quality/reputation and value of a law program?  

Am I the only one who thinks that a fairly significant number of those who make the hiring decisions for business/gov't/non-profit positions that many lawyers aspire to are going to be more familiar with an undergraduate program and a football team than they will be with a legal program that purports to be significantly better?  

Does the fact that the HR manager is most familiar with Suffolk (or wherever) as the continuing education place that "makes it easy for working professionals to get their degree in their spare time" (or however they advertise--I believe that wording belongs to Phoenix) not undermine the allegedly superior degree?  

Does the same not apply to clients?  If you're a lay-person looking for a divorce or a class action suit, would you feel better with a Princeton law grad or a George Mason law grad?  

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2006, 11:55:08 AM »
jontor...you will be an auto admit at northeastern im sure..and you will prob get into BU/BC as well..keep your head up and GOOD LUCK

upNdown

• My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2006, 11:59:50 AM »
This may warrant a new thread, but it came up a page of posts ago and I'm intrigued enough that I'd like to see more discussion:

How does the quality/reputation of an undergrad program impact on the quality/reputation and value of a law program?  

Am I the only one who thinks that a fairly significant number of those who make the hiring decisions for business/gov't/non-profit positions that many lawyers aspire to are going to be more familiar with an undergraduate program and a football team than they will be with a legal program that purports to be significantly better?  

Does the fact that the HR manager is most familiar with Suffolk (or wherever) as the continuing education place that "makes it easy for working professionals to get their degree in their spare time" (or however they advertise--I believe that wording belongs to Phoenix) not undermine the allegedly superior degree?  

Does the same not apply to clients?  If you're a lay-person looking for a divorce or a class action suit, would you feel better with a Princeton law grad or a George Mason law grad?  

In general, I imagine there is very little correlation.  Perhaps the lay-person would make such associations.  But you've got to remember that attorneys aren't generally hired by 'HR managers' as you put it.  Attorneys are hired by other attorneys.  And you can bet that the hiring partner, or whoever makes the calls, is intimately familiar with all the local law schools. 

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2006, 12:15:51 PM »
jontor...you will be an auto admit at northeastern im sure..and you will prob get into BU/BC as well..keep your head up and GOOD LUCK

Thanks Suzie, I really hope so. Just sitting and wondering what is taking them soo long to respond to my app.  Anyone know how generous Northeastern is with scholarships/grants?

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2006, 12:17:53 PM »

BTW- the gym across from NUSL is amazing, and included in your student fees :)

Thanks Linquest for your input ...do appreciate the thoroughness.

I have seen the gym....really amazing I agree

Kittyl30

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2006, 12:20:13 PM »
I heard Northeastern is pretty crappy with giving out $$..when i went to their info session, it sounded like unless you specifically apply for the scholarships they only give out up to 8,500 in merit money..pretty crummy if you ask me..

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2006, 12:23:25 PM »

In general, I imagine there is very little correlation.  Perhaps the lay-person would make such associations.  But you've got to remember that attorneys aren't generally hired by 'HR managers' as you put it.  Attorneys are hired by other attorneys.  And you can bet that the hiring partner, or whoever makes the calls, is intimately familiar with all the local law schools. 

Is that actually the case though?  Obviously law firms will hire that way, but I'm less convinced that others will.

I'd also be curious how the public perception of the school as a whole (largely determined by its undergrad) effects the reputation portion of the USNWR rankings.  If Notre Dame decided to hire an exclusively illiterate faculty and Puerto Rico brought on their displaced staff, I'd wager that ND would probably remain a top tier school and PR would, well, not.

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2006, 12:24:58 PM »
I was at the NUSL first open house last fall and all my question was concerning their scholarship..I really didn't get much information and she kept refering to their public interest scholarship which I did not apply for cos I figured some dude/babe that taught English in Guatamela will get it over me anyways since it's only one person that gets it a year I think.