should i apply to suffolk?

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: should i apply to suffolk?
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2006, 01:08:13 PM »
Yea, I thought darkwing was basing his experience on someone who went there for UG and, as such, was very familiar with the ls.  For example, I went to W&M UG (nothing like ls), but I spent a ton of time at the ls and understand (to an extent) how it operates.  So, as a W&M UG, I could speak to the ins and outs better that someone who simply visit the campus because I have interacted with students and profs at the LS and seen how it functions on a daily basis.  I (think?) that was what duck was getting at.

up- You make a good point with the gym, but I thought that was the point a lot of times with ths board.  Does it matter how many hot girls go somewhere or if there are bars nearby?  Not at all, but that won't stop most people from asking. ;)

« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:46 PM »
Yea, I thought darkwing was basing his experience on someone who went there for UG and, as such, was very familiar with the ls.  For example, I went to W&M UG (nothing like ls), but I spent a ton of time at the ls and understand (to an extent) how it operates.  So, as a W&M UG, I could speak to the ins and outs better that someone who simply visit the campus because I have interacted with students and profs at the LS and seen how it functions on a daily basis.  I (think?) that was what duck was getting at.

up- You make a good point with the gym, but I thought that was the point a lot of times with ths board.  Does it matter how many hot girls go somewhere or if there are bars nearby?  Not at all, but that won't stop most people from asking. ;)

Yeah, that is kind of what I was getting at. Thanks.  :)

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2006, 01:48:25 PM »
NP!  I've found your insights very helpful!  I mean, if I go visit I can give the general idea for people, but UG/local pespectives I always find VERY helpful.  Where I have seen something once or ttwice a local has seen the school on a regular basis and could tell if my experience were indicative of an environment or atypical. :)  Part of the usefullnss of LSD!

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2006, 01:58:19 PM »
NP!  I've found your insights very helpful!  I mean, if I go visit I can give the general idea for people, but UG/local pespectives I always find VERY helpful.  Where I have seen something once or ttwice a local has seen the school on a regular basis and could tell if my experience were indicative of an environment or atypical. :)  Part of the usefullnss of LSD!

Glad I could be of some help! :)

florentino ariza

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2006, 03:36:05 PM »
i'm probably not a great person to talk about suffolk, because they're not really an option for me. with scholarships that top out at 25k and no more (leaving me with about 55-65k debt after law school) they're just not a school i can consider attending when i'll probably get some money from NUSL or Cardozo or American. a school that doesn't give full tuition isn't a great fit for my safety.

that being said- NUSL's placement is better than Suffolk. Suffolk has a nice little niche in the boston market when it comes to govn't and smaller firm jobs, but NUSL's placement is surprisingly good for a mid 2nd tier school (about 90% at graduation) because of the coop program. neither are bad if you want to work in boston, but if you have any desire to leave the area, then NUSL is much better.

i visited the law building last thursday, and i was highly impressed with the building itself. it's in a great location, looks really solid, the classrooms are nice, and generally it's super shiny and rad. that being said, the con law class i sat in on reminded me far too much of my UG days; the students may be competitive, but they're not that bright. the professor was also the worst that i saw that weekend (i also sat in on classes at Vermont and BC)- despite dealing with the most interesting topic (legality of holding enemy combatants vs. collateral estople and issue preclusion (BC) vs. mens rea (VLS)).

overall, i have to agree with ducky, it's style over substance at Suffolk. that may change with time if they really want to improve their standing, but right now it's pretty much a nice building with a mediocre law school in it.

that being said, it's still a decent school for people who want to work in Boston.

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2006, 08:59:08 PM »
If I have to choose btw Northeastern and Suffolk, the amount of scholarships from each school will be the determining factor

Congratulations on your scholarship to Suffolk.  If you get into both schools, I know you'll get a lot of conflicting advice, so I might as well throw my two cents in :P

Disclaimer: I'm a 1L at Northeastern, but not from the East Coast, so take my advice as you will.

I think you've got the right strategy re: scholarships being the determining factor.  Also consider that tuition at NUSL is more expensive ($33K+ vs. 28K?).  Of course, the numbers I'm going to throw out are arbitrary, but unless NUSL will not cost more than $6K/year more than Suffolk, I'd go with Suffolk.

You want to practice in the local area, at least for the foreseeable future (you've got family here, right?), and you are not interested in BigLaw.  You say that you are interested in politics and perhaps hanging your own shingle in a few years.  Considering these factors, Suffolk may be a better choice because it does tend to have an advantage in reputation in the local area.  Additionally, where you went to school won't make a huge difference once you've been practicing several years, esp outside of the BigLaw realm, so any reputational advantage you would get from NUSL prolly would be minimal or moot by then. 

Another thing that you may want to think about is the kind of LS enviroment you imagine thriving in.  Yes, Suffolk is incredibly competitive and individualistic, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.  NUSL is on the other extreme- there are unique aspects of the curriculum that highly emphasize group work.  Some people eat up the "warm and fuzzy" aspect of this, some merely grumble and bear it (like me), and some people end up dropping out or transferring because they hate it so much.

BTW- the gym across from NUSL is amazing, and included in your student fees :)

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2006, 09:01:44 PM »
Oh, and just to be clear...I'm not really advocating for choosing either NUSL or Suffolk.  I think it's a decision that only you can make considering your circumstances.  I just wanted to give a different perspective and some differences between the schools to think about.  I'd support your decision either way :)

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2006, 10:56:17 PM »
if it came down to it, id definitely choose northeastern...im just getting antsy because i was deferred by them already and i thought id have no problem since they're a target for me.  the idea with applying to suffolk is to give me the opportunity to stay local if i don't get northeastern.  i actually sent nusl a letter of continued interest today so hopefully that will help...fingers crossed... :-\

upNdown

• My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2006, 09:09:54 AM »
Shellrae, what's the big deal?  As I said, I'm betting you'll get into NUSL, so you'll be all set.  But if Boston is a place where you really want to be, and you've gotten rejections or deferrals from all the Boston schools, then WHY WOULDN'T YOU APPLY TO SUFFOLK?  Cough up another $60 +$12 and apply.  They don't have any special essays or anything, so its a no-brainer. 

« Reply #39 on: February 08, 2006, 09:12:33 AM »
Shellrae, what's the big deal?  As I said, I'm betting you'll get into NUSL, so you'll be all set.  But if Boston is a place where you really want to be, and you've gotten rejections or deferrals from all the Boston schools, then WHY WOULDN'T YOU APPLY TO SUFFOLK?  Cough up another $60 +$12 and apply.  They don't have any special essays or anything, so its a no-brainer. 

I think she did apply, actually. Look at her LSN.