Law School Discussion

should i apply to suffolk?

Re: should i apply to suffolk?
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2006, 08:52:06 AM »
Nothing of the sort, it is a respectable score. I got a 159 my first time, and only a few points higher the second. We are brothers, man.  :)

I know bro..just that I get real emotional when it comes to that score...I was shooting for 170...still crying now

Hey I feel your pain, that's why I took the test a second time. If it makes you feel any better, your gpa is higher than mine. :)

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2006, 08:53:22 AM »

Hey I feel your pain, that's why I took the test a second time. If it makes you feel any better, your gpa is higher than mine. :)

I'm all  ;D now

« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2006, 08:54:42 AM »

I'm all  ;D now

;D you know, your unusual background may help you get into bu/bc. there is always hope. heck, 90% of my schools are super reaches.

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2006, 09:04:29 AM »
;D you know, your unusual background may help you get into bu/bc. there is always hope. heck, 90% of my schools are super reaches.

Darkwing don't know if you read my lsn ,....I'm currently putting 3 siblings through college...one will finish this spring so hopefully he will help out...I'm solely relying on the equity in my house to supplement whetever I will borrow during law school ..I never planned on going to Law school this year before...I have a real way too high paying job(that is why I can afford a house just 6 months after finishing college) but I do hate it with passion that is why I decided to attend law school this year instead of next year when I know I will in a better financial situation..but I can't stand this job for another year I will loose my sanity.  I have been through rougher times b4 so I know I can handle any new challenges.

So you see why the 25k from Suffolk seems sooo tempting to me right now cos it will help out alot ..I'm not really interested in big firm...wanted to go into politics someday or run my own office after working maybe 3-5 years..not a big fan of big firms I work for one now...yeah you make the money but the money doesn't make happiness....I'm stuck at this present job cos of my financial situation....you don't even know when I recieved my acceptance from Suffolk...I actually cried..not kidding you I did shed alot of tears and then when I got the trustee scholarship letter I took two days of work just to celebrate cos I know that my emotional suffering at this job is gonna be over soon.  If I get into BC or BU I will think it over for a long time..if I get into Harvard which is kind of way off I will probably quit my job that second and party till school starts

Edit: If I have to choose btw Northeastern and Suffolk, the amount of scholarships from each school will be the determining factor

upNdown

• My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2006, 09:08:04 AM »
shellrae, yes, if you want to practice in Boston, you should definately apply to Suffolk.  I still think you'll get into Northeastern.  But, if you don't, I don't think any Boston firms are going to be impressed with an FSU degree.  

Darkwing, comparing Suffolk undergrad to Suffolk law is ridiculous.  The fact is, Suffolk Law has a great reputation locally.  The legal community and the statehouse are filled with Suffolk Law grads.  Suffolk undergrad doesn't even have a reputation locally or otherwise.  It practically doesn't exist.  

But lets review your arguments.

1) The students at Suffolk have an elite attitude.
     Would you prefer to go to a school where the students all think of themselves as idiots?

2) The school is disconnected from the rest of the university.
     We've already established that Suffolk undergrad is pretty crappy, so that disconnect should be viewed as a good thing.  

3) It is a commuter school by nature.  
     All Boston law schools are commuter schools.  The real estate around here is too expensive for these schools to have dorms.  Besides, who wants to live in a dorm?

4) You've gotten your info from people who taught at the law school then moved over to teach at the undergrad.  
     Why would I care about the opinion of somebody who made such a backward move from a law school to a crappy undergrad?

5) No gym.  
     I'm pretty sure people who want excercise can find it.  I'm guessing that the presence of a stack of free-weights and a few spinner bikes isn't going to help me get a job in 3 years.  

6) It is very competitive there.  
     Well, this is a legitimate complaint.  If you can't handle the competition, you've probably made the right decision in not applying.  

Did I miss anything?  

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2006, 09:15:20 AM »

5) No gym. 
     I'm pretty sure people who want excercise can find it.  I'm guessing that the presence of a stack of free-weights and a few spinner bikes isn't going to help me get a job in 3 years. 

6) It is very competitive there. 
     Well, this is a legitimate complaint.  If you can't handle the competition, you've probably made the right decision in not applying. 

Did I miss anything? 

UpNDown...no you did not miss anything..for real I went to school in Boston but I never knew that Suffolk has an undergrad I thought they have only the school of management and Law school until oneday I typed www.suffolk.edu and I was wow..they even have an undergrad...so might be crappy like you said that is why I have been around town so long and never knew it existed....
The competivie atmosphere they have all complained about is what I thought any serious aspiring law student will be looking forward to.

The gym part sucks....cos I really will like not to be paying $19 a month for a gym membership.
One more thing UpNdown I will email you so you can explain that equity line of creidt stuff I will need to do same but I was thinking of cashing it out and putting it into something like cd but your take on that irs thing got me thinkking...so if you don't mind I will email you lata to get some more info. Will probably see you in Suffolk come fall

« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2006, 09:19:29 AM »

Darkwing don't know if you read my lsn ,....I'm currently putting 3 siblings through college...one will finish this spring so hopefully he will help out...I'm solely relying on the equity in my house to supplement whetever I will borrow during law school ..I never planned on going to Law school this year before...I have a real way too high paying job(that is why I can afford a house just 6 months after finishing college) but I do hate it with passion that is why I decided to attend law school this year instead of next year when I know I will be better financial situation..but I can't stand this job for another year I will loose my sanity.  I have been through rougher times b4 so I know I can handle any new challenges.

So you see why the 25k from Suffolk seems sooo tempting to me right now cos it will help out alot ..I'm not really interested in big firm...wanted to go into politics someday or run my own office after working maybe 3-5 years..not a big fan of big firms I work for one now...yeah you make the money but the money doesn't make happiness....I'm stuck at this present job cos of my financial situation....you don't even know when I recieved my acceptance from Suffolk...I actually cried..not kidding you I did shed alot of tears and then when I got the trustee scholarship letter I took two days of work just to celebrate cos I know that my emotional suffering at this job is gonna be over soon.  If I get into BC or BU I will think it over for a long time..if I get into Harvard which is kind of way off I will probably quit my job that second and party till school starts

Wow, that is awesome man. I had no idea. Major props to you for handling all of that. And I have to say, I totally agree with you about firms, I don't want to work in one either. My current job is for a solo atty. and I feel pretty much the same as you do in your job. I can see why the Suffolk scholarship is so great for you. I will say that I've heard Suffolk is great for people that want to get involved in politics in Mass, so if that's what you want to do then that may be the right place for you after all. Then again, I don't think you could go wrong with bc/bu or harvard at all. If you got into one of those, I'd say don't let the money stand in your way if at all possible.

upndown: your comments are very much appreciated. :) nice to have different views expressed on here. But just me just say, I was not comparing the law school to the undergrad at all.

upNdown

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »
Yeah, I'll tell you all I've learned about home equity, just drop me a line.  I hope to see you at Suffolk to; I look forward to the competition.  

BTW, if Suffolk is giving you 25K per year, I think you can suck it up and pay for a gym membership.  

upNdown

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2006, 09:25:22 AM »
upndown: your comments are very much appreciated. :) nice to have different views expressed on here. But just me just say, I was not comparing the law school to the undergrad at all.

Darkwing, your very first comment on this thread was "As someone who went to Suffolk undergrad, I vote no. "  Whether or not you made any direct comparisons between two schools is debatable, but the fact that you began with that statement indicates to me that you are drawing some concusions based on your time at the undergrad. 

« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2006, 09:33:03 AM »

Darkwing, your very first comment on this thread was "As someone who went to Suffolk undergrad, I vote no. "  Whether or not you made any direct comparisons between two schools is debatable, but the fact that you began with that statement indicates to me that you are drawing some concusions based on your time at the undergrad. 

Upndown, allow me to correct myself. Going to the undergrad in and of itself does not give me much insight into the law school, that is true. What I should have said is that I went to the Paralegal program at the undergrad, where all the professors either graduated from the law school or also taught there at one point. These were smart people too. They didn't leave the law school because they couldn't cut it, they left because they didn't enjoy teaching in that environment, and they shared their opinion with me. That is all. I was not basing my concusions about the law school on my undergrad experience at all, in fact I will make a point of saying that the two environments are starkly different.

I don't mean to knock the law school, really. It is good for what it is and what it does, and it is great for a lot of people obviously. It just wasn't a place I wanted to end up, and I did research it quite a bit on my own before deciding that. Again, I'm glad you put your two cents in too. It helps to give people a wider range of opinions on the same thing, I think. :)