Law School Discussion

should i apply to suffolk?

Re: should i apply to suffolk?
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2006, 08:17:23 AM »
Well I will be visiting February 19th, But have heard what a great buiilding they had...I actually met(the one that handled my closing in 2004), he told me that he went to Suffolk just because of the new building, they were the first student in there..that sounded kind of odd to me then but I emailed him again and he reiterated the same thing. He said he already paid his acceptance fee to NUSL but when he visited Suffolk he was blown away....I will understand that for him cos he came from the construction industry.

Suffolk gave me 25K merit scholarship award renewable all I have to do is maintain 3.0 gpa...now you see why I'm seriously considering Suffolk.

The gym part makes me  >:( that will mean maintaining a gym membership outside

Ah, I see. That is a good scholarship. What are your numbers again? If Suffolk is giving you that much maybe you have a good shot at a better school.

But please, DON'T be fooled by the fancy new building. It is one of those don't judge a book by its cover sort of things. Suffolk law has a fancy cover, and that's it. I've heard negative things about the classes and the environment there. Just be aware of what you may be getting into.

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2006, 08:18:12 AM »
What's wrong with the classes duck?

EDIT: Did I miss this in one of your links?

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2006, 08:18:58 AM »
numbers 159/3.7

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2006, 08:20:23 AM »
Ah..I tell you Darkwing Duck is seriously scaring the *&^% out of me...I was surfing Suffolk Law website last nite till 3:40am just cos of Darkwing Duck... ??? ??? ???

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2006, 08:23:39 AM »
He is very good at that!  I practically stopped considering them all together because of duck, but I keep holding on (at least till I can visit) because of the new facilities and that I KNOW I want to place in Boston.

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 08:23:57 AM »
Not that I really know anything, but I'd second that Suffolk has a very mixed rep.  I've heard very good things about it in terms of the alumni network, and respect in the job market in the Boston area.  I've also heard that historically it was a sort of leg-up, upwardly mobile working class sort of law school, which is part of the positive rep.

I've also heard that it's extremely competitive (it does make PR's top 10 most competitive, I believe), and some friends of my parents have a good friend who teaches at Suffolk and apparently doesn't think well of it at all.

FWIW.

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 08:31:39 AM »

EDIT: Did I miss this in one of your links?

Scotty was telling me (at the lovefest) how he sat in on a class and it sucked. Ask him for more details. I never sat on a class there myself so I couldn't say firsthand about that.

jontor, I'm not trying to scare you guys or anything, just making sure you know what you are getting into. Suffolk has a "competitive" envrionment. The students are all trying to be near the top of their class to give themselves more options, probably because they don't want to end up having to hang up their own shingle. The school is trying to compete with other law schools and desperatly trying to move up in the rankings (they were in third tier before and are trying to get back there). Hence the sort of snobish attitude they have, and hence why they are throwing money at your 159.

Su: thanks for the comments. This is what I was trying to get across before. I know two people that used to teach at Suffolk law and they both had the same opinion of it that your parent's friends seem to have. And, Suffolk did start as a working class law school, mostly for working people who needed to go to law school nights.

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 08:43:03 AM »
and hence why they are throwing money at your 159.

Please don't dis(jk) my "159"!!!!!, is not 170 but I spent sleepless nites for that score hence that is why I'm not taking the dayum exam again.

Edith: They threw the money at me cos of other factors...finished college in less than 4 years...worked minimum of 50 hrs a weekn throughout under-grad....finished on top of my class doubled majored in computer science and maths with minor in Biology....lived in my car for one whole semester and still got a 4.0 that semester...I think that is why they are throwing money at me. It feels nice to be thrown money at I never received any kind of scholarship in my life....so please this makes me feel appreciated.....I'm crying now.....haha

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 08:45:53 AM »
and hence why they are throwing money at your 159.

Please don't dis(jk) my "159"!!!!!, is not 170 but I spent sleepless nites for that score hence that is why I'm not taking the dayum exam again.

Nothing of the sort, it is a respectable score. I got a 159 my first time, and only a few points higher the second. We are brothers, man.  :)

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 08:47:31 AM »
Nothing of the sort, it is a respectable score. I got a 159 my first time, and only a few points higher the second. We are brothers, man.  :)

I know bro..just that I get real emotional when it comes to that score...I was shooting for 170...still crying now