should i apply to suffolk?

*shell*

• FSU...@#!* *&^% up
    • AOL Instant Messenger - shellrae007
    • View Profile
    • Email
should i apply to suffolk?
« on: February 04, 2006, 11:29:32 AM »
ok, so i know im addicted to applying already...question is...should i apply to one more safety?  suffolk is ok in boston, which is where i want to end up...but is it worth passing up a school like fsu or any of the other ones i might get into?  i'll have to wait for my next check anyways, but just wanted to get opinions on this.  should i go for one more, or just stop now???

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
Re: should i apply to suffolk?
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 11:35:14 AM »
I should say no since I applied there ;), but...

If you REALLY want to be in Boston, I don't think applying to Suffolk is a bad thing.  I decided to apply there precisly because the regional rep. is so great and I knew my chances at a higher ranked school in Bostn were zero to none.

If you can see going there over another higher ranked school, then def. apply.  Not sure of your index there, but you should qualify for merit aid, esp. with your higher lsat.

However, if I got into there and W&L, I would go to W&L in a heartbeat.

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 11:41:41 AM »
Since you want to be in Boston, I think you definitely should apply.  I'm actually very surprised that you applied to WNEC and not Suffolk.  

The Boston legal market is odd, and it seems to me, almost insular.  I'd venture to say that if you want to be here, Suffolk may be a better choice than some of the "higher-ranked" schools you applied to like FSU and the Arizonas.

I wouldn't give up on Northeastern though.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 11:45:59 AM »
As someone who went to Suffolk undergrad, I vote no. The students at the school have an elite attitude, the school is disconnected from the rest of the univeristy (which isnt all that great to begin with) and in case you ever want to do anything outside of massachusetts, chances are no one will have ever heard of Suffolk law. Also, it is a commuter school by nature, and that is something that turns me off after having commuted for my entire undergrad.

The good news is that they would probably eat up your lsat, if you really wanted to go there. I thought about applying to Suffolk as way way way saftey school, but I decided against it because I said to myself that if that were the only school I could get into, I honestly would rather not go to law school. Just my two cents.  

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 09:43:14 PM »
Darkwing Duck....you seriously have something against Suffolk...for your alma mater is there somethign you not telling us yet? Another question? Do they have a gym at the law school?

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 07:04:26 AM »
Darkwing Duck....you seriously have something against Suffolk...for your alma mater is there somethign you not telling us yet? Another question? Do they have a gym at the law school?

I just would never go there myself. I've known people who have taught at the law school and moved over to teaching at the undergrad, that's where I got a lot of my info from. That, and from interacting with people at the law school. Keep in mind that just 5 years ago, the law school was still located in the same building as where the undergrad is now (which is a really crappy building). Everyone always says the same thing, that when the law school moved to its own building everyone there got a little full of themselves. I've taken tours of the law school and used their library and stuff before, and they just have a general air of unfriendliness in my opinion.

All that said, I'm sure that Suffolk IS a good fit for a lot of people, just not for me.

And, I can tell you that they do NOT have a gym at the law school. The undergrad has a "gym" that is a big concrete room about 5 stories underground and not really near the law school at all either.

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 07:10:27 AM »
Thanks for the info Darkwing Duck ...just seriously will consider Suffolk over Northeastern cos of the scholarship...and from my lil inquiries so far Suffolk pulls a lot more clout in Massachusetts than Northeastern does....I plan on living in Mass for atleast the next 10 years. Things will definetly change if BU/BC/HARVARD shows me any kind of love...but if it boils down choosing btw NUSL and Suffolk...I think scholarship will be a deciding factor here.

Sucks that they don't have gym there...NUSL has a nice one....how is the undergrad gym....I'm assuming that is accessible to law students right

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 08:00:42 AM »
Thanks for the info Darkwing Duck ...just seriously will consider Suffolk over Northeastern cos of the scholarship...and from my lil inquiries so far Suffolk pulls a lot more clout in Massachusetts than Northeastern does....I plan on living in Mass for atleast the next 10 years. Things will definetly change if BU/BC/HARVARD shows me any kind of love...but if it boils down choosing btw NUSL and Suffolk...I think scholarship will be a deciding factor here.

Sucks that they don't have gym there...NUSL has a nice one....how is the undergrad gym....I'm assuming that is accessible to law students right

I heard somewhere that Suffolk had some kind of a cap on scholarships...you may want to look into that. But you are right, if being an Attorney in Mass is what you want to do for the foreseeable future, Suffolk is the place to be. The alumni network in the state is very strong.

As for the "gym," I would assume that law students could use it but I honestly don't know for sure. Like I said, it is just a big ugly concrete room deep underground. It reminds me of a highschool gym. This link may help: http://www.suffolk.edu/athletics/

Let me know if I can be of any more help. oh, btw, have you taken a tour of the law school and all yet?

Jontor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 08:07:21 AM »
Well I will be visiting February 19th, But have heard what a great buiilding they had...I actually met(the one that handled my closing in 2004), he told me that he went to Suffolk just because of the new building, they were the first student in there..that sounded kind of odd to me then but I emailed him again and he reiterated the same thing. He said he already paid his acceptance fee to NUSL but when he visited Suffolk he was blown away....I will understand that for him cos he came from the construction industry.

Suffolk gave me 25K merit scholarship award renewable all I have to do is maintain 3.0 gpa...now you see why I'm seriously considering Suffolk.

The gym part makes me  >:( that will mean maintaining a gym membership outside

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2006, 08:16:02 AM »

The gym part makes me >:( that will mean maintaining a gym membership outside

I feel that jontor.  That was def. a huge perk of Northeastern.  My current school is completely redoing its gym (so right now it is crap).  I am so pissed I won't be around to use the awesome new one next year.