Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: weight of wrongdoing  (Read 1514 times)

Ithacabomber

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
weight of wrongdoing
« on: December 17, 2003, 01:43:09 PM »
On my applications for law school I have had to list my diciplinary action from my UG institution and also an arrest for disorderly conduct...how do admissions boards weigh these parts of the application? Thank you.

Re:weight of wrongdoing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 01:00:25 AM »
yea i was wondering about that too. does disciplinary action include if you got caught drinking in the dorms? that happened a few times, and it wasnt even my fault.

guest again

Re:weight of wrongdoing
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003, 06:32:43 PM »
so 59 people have looked at this but NOBODY has a comment?!?!? does anybody know how much it affects your chances if you have been caught drinking, smoking, etc by your undergrad university? does it even go on the application?

tgarrido

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: weight of wrongdoing
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2004, 04:40:37 AM »
I really don't know, but common sense tells me that if you have to report that kind of misconduct, it can't be good.  Certainly seems like something to talk about in a personal statement.  I think Law Schools are not only trying to guage academic promise but maturity as well.

Is it a factor? Yes.  How much? Who knows.  Everybody slides from time to time.  Life does that to you.  On the other hand, if there are 1000 applications with the same GPA and LSATs as yours and 100 seats, maybe the admissions people don't want to take a chance.  Admissions people are exactly that, PEOPLE.  A good personal statement will go a long way in this regard at some schools where your numbers are competitive.

melissa2781

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 01:54:18 PM »
it weighs a hell of a lot more if you dont tell them, and then they find out later. 

the point of disclosing the information serves two purposes.  First, its to see if the American bar association will even LET you sit for the bar exam.  The second is to get an insight into your charecter and what you will be like at their institution.  If you incorporate what you learned from those experiences into your personal statement, the law school may jsut view it as youthful indescretions that you learned from and overcame, which actually could be a small bonus in your favor and may negate the actual act. 

But do not under any circumstances leave the information out.  That will not only nullify your application, but they could revoke your degree if they find out about it after the fact.  I know someone that had that happen to them.  they are now waiting tables 6 nights a week.

but i wish you all the luck in the world, and i truley hope you get into your first choice.  unless, of course, thats my first choice, cause you might be taking my spot  :P just kiddin
**The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams ~ Eleanor Roosevelt**

Ithacabomber

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 07:13:11 PM »
Guys thanks for input...but does anyone have experience with this type of thing or no anyone admissions people. Got rejected from Univ of Buff today bummer but that was the best school out of all apps GPA 3.4 LSAT 141
REPLY PLEASE

lawstudent2004

• Sr. Citizen
  • 160 LSAT and 3.48 GPA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 08:00:36 PM »
Did it say why on the rejection letter?  Im in the same boat but with five convictions.  Let me know when you hear anything.   Good luck!

Ithacabomber

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 08:04:41 PM »
Naw man they dont tell ya why they rejected you...just said i dont fit pool.

kattiewitch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 08:24:32 PM »
It might now say in the letter, but it may be beneficial to call the admissions office and see if there is something you can work on should you choose to apply again.  Maybe they'll be specific about what they found lacking