Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Awful Test Center!  (Read 489 times)

tulpen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Awful Test Center!
« on: February 03, 2006, 01:28:18 PM »
Hi,

I finally checked out my test center today and it's terrible. I don't know exactly what room it's in but all the classrooms in the building had TINY desks. I took the test in December and I loved my test center, unfortunately, I was stupid and didn't sign up for it again because it was in San Antonio and I live in Austin. I figured that if an Austin site was available (which it was this time), that would be preferrable to a San Antonio site. Anyway, I'm really upset and don't know what to do. I called LSAC but of course it's too late to change my location. LSAC said I could go stand by in San Antonio and take the test there if someone doesn't show up. That seems kind of risky though...

Any suggestions? Thanks!

mikey_10

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Awful Test Center!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 03:11:14 PM »
most people have to write the test on desks with a surface the size of a sheet of letter-paper.

R We There Yet?

• Just tell me already!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 04:32:37 PM »
I was in a similar situation when I took the LSAT.  I was in an auditorium and the flip-up desks where absolutely tiny.  You couldn't even fit a full sheet of paper on them!  The top corner of the paper just hung off the desk.  It was especially frustrating because other classrooms used at the test center were not set up like this.  They had huge flat desks and could really spread out.  Anyway, here's what I did.  First, I got velcro for my stop watch.  This way I could attach it to the seat in front of mine and save some space.  Also, I lobbied the procters to allow us to use two desk tops (the one directly in front of us and the one to our immediate right).  After some deliberation, they decided that we were all spread out enough to use this method.  Don't get me wrong...this still sucked (bobbing back and forth between answer sheet and booklet like an idiot).  But, it was making the best of a bad situation.

You'd think LSAC would try to unsure some parity in the testing experience!  So annoying...       

magnumalv

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 04:34:40 PM »
I had a horrible test center as well. I couldn't get the room changed, but I managed to make a lot of fuss and get the desks changed out... it's a bit late for you to do anything about it now, though. I'm sorry!  :(

jb1246a

• Sr. Citizen
  • pandatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2006, 04:47:43 PM »
This might have changed, but I vaguely remember reading that you can bring a board to place on top of the small desk to extend your writing space. Check out the LSAC/LSAT introduction booklets or website for more info.

Jaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2006, 04:57:12 PM »
Hi,

I finally checked out my test center today and it's terrible. I don't know exactly what room it's in but all the classrooms in the building had TINY desks. I took the test in December and I loved my test center, unfortunately, I was stupid and didn't sign up for it again because it was in San Antonio and I live in Austin. I figured that if an Austin site was available (which it was this time), that would be preferrable to a San Antonio site. Anyway, I'm really upset and don't know what to do. I called LSAC but of course it's too late to change my location. LSAC said I could go stand by in San Antonio and take the test there if someone doesn't show up. That seems kind of risky though...

Any suggestions? Thanks!
You must be at Huston-Tillotson.  I took it there in December on an 87 degree day and they had no windows or a/c.  Totally uncomfortable.  Make sure you have something comfortable to wear.
God, Country, Notre Dame

tulpen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2006, 04:58:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for the feedback. I asked about bringing a board and LSAC said it wasn't allowed.  I also found the Kaplan site about LSAT test centers and the reviews are pretty bad:

http://kaplansurvey.com/ratings_browser/reviews.php?testName=LSAT&testDate=2005-12-03&siteCode=8515

http://kaplansurvey.com/ratings_browser/reviews.php?testName=LSAT&testDate=2005-06-06&siteCode=8515

I have a decent score (165) so I'm retaking the LSAT in case I get waitlisted at my top choices (I'm limited in where I apply due to family reasons). I guess I'm wondering whether it's worth it to take it at a crappy site, when that could just increase the likelihood of me canceling my score. I mean, what are the odds that everyone at my preferred test center shows up for a February exam?

tulpen

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:59:06 PM »
Hi Jaustin,

It is H&T. Other than the weather, what did you think of the test center??

Jaustin

• Sr. Citizen
  • I am a victim of the Science Age.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 05:32:13 PM »
Hi Jaustin,

It is H&T. Other than the weather, what did you think of the test center??
Really tiny desks and they are all different shapes and sizes.  Good luck with that when they assign your seat.  I had to put my timer on the floor and had to keep switching my answer sheet and test booklet for room to write, so be ready for that.  Stay focused and don't let any of that bother you because you know how crappy it is going to be beforehand.  I got uncomfortable at about Section III and lost a little concentration on Section V due to the heat.  It should be cooler for you so don't worry so much about that.  They have vending machines if you don't want to pack a snack.  The bathrooms are tiny and old but clean.  The proctors are nice and not overly formal or rigid.  You can go outside on your break and get some fresh air.  Good luck!
God, Country, Notre Dame