Law School Discussion

Wait for fall grades?

uncgal05

Wait for fall grades?
« on: July 23, 2004, 06:40:04 PM »
Hi I'm new to this, but I have been debating whether it would be wiser to apply as early as possible to law schools (after oct lsat) or the first of january when my fall grades will be in. My GPA is currently 3.28, but because of the upward trend i am more than confident it will be at least 3.32 or so after first semester. Is this worth waiting for or is earlier wiser? Guess a lot depends on the LSAT...any input appreciated

NYKnicks

Re: Wait for fall grades?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 06:53:07 PM »
Hmm, thats not a huge jump from 3.82 to 3.32 so I'm not sure it would make a whole world's difference. How are you doing on LSAT practices? If you're getting the score you need to be competitive for schools you want to go to, then go for it and apply.

Hi I'm new to this, but I have been debating whether it would be wiser to apply as early as possible to law schools (after oct lsat) or the first of january when my fall grades will be in. My GPA is currently 3.28, but because of the upward trend i am more than confident it will be at least 3.32 or so after first semester. Is this worth waiting for or is earlier wiser? Guess a lot depends on the LSAT...any input appreciated

uncgal05

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 08:49:34 PM »
I haven't exactly taken any LSAT practices yet...I'm taking a PR course that starts in August so i should hopefully have some good practice under my belt by oct...generally test well.

Do you think coming from a top 5 public will help me at all w/my low gpa? not trying to make excuses but i know if i had gone to an easier school it would have been higher...do adcomms look at that??

NYKnicks

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 08:55:24 PM »
Hey you don't have a low GPA relative to mine, I only have a 3.1 (and I'm rounding up here, but not by much). You should at least just take 1 LSAT to maybe see what level you're at. Since you're taking the PR course in August, I dont' see any harm in at least taking the LSAT come October if you feel ready even if you don't end up applying. Which school did you go to? University of North Carolina?

I haven't exactly taken any LSAT practices yet...I'm taking a PR course that starts in August so i should hopefully have some good practice under my belt by oct...generally test well.

Do you think coming from a top 5 public will help me at all w/my low gpa? not trying to make excuses but i know if i had gone to an easier school it would have been higher...do adcomms look at that??

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2004, 03:59:43 AM »
Hey you don't have a low GPA relative to mine, I only have a 3.1 (and I'm rounding up here, but not by much). You should at least just take 1 LSAT to maybe see what level you're at. Since you're taking the PR course in August, I dont' see any harm in at least taking the LSAT come October if you feel ready even if you don't end up applying. Which school did you go to? University of North Carolina?

I go to a top 3 public, and a top 26 school nationally (hint hint...haha), and I highly doubt it's gonna make much difference in admissions (I have same gpa as original poster). Unless you're at a top 10 school nationally, I don't think your schools rep will matter much. Thats just my opinion though...I hope I'm wrong.

uncgal05

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2004, 07:11:46 AM »
I hope you're wrong too!!  :) It makes me feel better to see that other people have similar GPA's to me though, I was beginning to think that everyone on this board had like 3.8's and that was making me nervous...

and yes, i do go to the university of North Carolina!

LongTallVal

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004, 11:45:33 AM »
one thing you could do is apply early in the game (after oct. lsat) and then when your fall grades come in January re-send your updated transcript to the school.  it could make all the difference, especially if you wind up stuck on the wait list.  just a thought.