Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In At Chicago  (Read 5618 times)

snikrep

Re: In At Chicago
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 06:28:00 PM »
CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!

I just got the call and am incredibly stoked!!

Although, now I'm in a difficult (though happy) dilemma: I had my heart set on UMich (got in on Monday) and was contemplating holding out for Columbia (waitlisted) but getting in at Chicago is weakening my resolve on both fronts.

I'm going to visit Chicago for sure, and already love the academic environment and incredible reputation, but the whole "conservative" reputation throws me a bit.  Also, rumors that the school itself is hideous, unsafe, and generally rundown.

Anyone want to throw in their 2 cents? I'd love the help deciding!

Everything I have heard indicates that the "conservative" reputation means that instead of only 25% conservatives at most schools, it's maybe 40% there (i.e. it's conservative compared to other places, but still liberal in an absolute sense).  And it's more libertarian in feel, conservative in thought when it comes to economical issues.

I will be visiting next week so I will try to comment on the other stuff later :P.  Congrats!!

nicodemus

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 11:16:06 PM »
CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!

Although, now I'm in a difficult (though happy) dilemma: I had my heart set on UMich (got in on Monday) and was contemplating holding out for Columbia (waitlisted) but getting in at Chicago is weakening my resolve on both fronts.

I'm going to visit Chicago for sure, and already love the academic environment and incredible reputation, but the whole "conservative" reputation throws me a bit.  Also, rumors that the school itself is hideous, unsafe, and generally rundown.

Chicago is probably more conservative than many law schools, but not in the socially conservative, modern GOP, Ave Maria sense. The best way to describe the place is to say that everybody with something interesting to say is welcome and that people who identify with just about any point on the political spectrum should feel comfortable. This means that, no matter where you're coming from, your opinions will be challenged by smart people and you'll have to defend yourself, but that's part of the deal.

Hyde Park gets a bad rap.  It's biggest faults are that it's just boring if you aren't looking for a relatively sleepy neighborhood and that it's not convenient to travel to and from downtown. It is not dangerous. As for the law school's architecture, it grows on some people, and others learn to live with it. The building was designed by Eero Saarinen (Gateway Arch, Dulles Airport, etc.) about 60-70 years ago. It was a modern (at the time) take on the gothic architecture on the main campus, but now it looks like a bunker with a glass cube next to it. The *inside* is just fine, as all of the classrooms and the lower level were recently renovated. All in all, the building is not stunning, but it manages to stay out of the way as well.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2006, 05:12:51 PM »
Did anyone get any info on when the admitted students binder will be sent out? Knowing Chicago, I’m sure it won’t have anything fun like a t-shirt…   ::)
U Chi '09

akattorney

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • My numbers!!
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2006, 05:25:44 PM »
They're going to try to mail them out next week.

azdezza

« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2006, 05:28:38 PM »
Did Chicago admits anyone get any info on when the admitted students binder will be sent out? Knowing Chicago, I’m sure it won’t have anything fun like a t-shirt…   ::)

The letter said we would receive them "in february."  I hope its sooner rather than later.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2006, 02:49:09 PM »
CONGRATS EVERYONE!!!

Barack Obama was on the faculty.

http://www.law.uchicago.edu/faculty/obama/

The school is just relatively less liberal.
U Chi '09

snikrep

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2006, 01:32:09 AM »
Scholarship letter today, $33,000 over 3 years, good times 8)

Wow - congrats!!  I didn't know they were sending out scholarships so soon, looks like a 2-3 week lag for you, it'll be interesting if that's a trend for everybody (somehow I thought they would all go out at once).

Anybody else get a scholarship yet?

bloomich

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2006, 01:53:15 AM »
congrats tra!!!

got one, too.. 64k over 3 yrs and a PI fellowship

snikrep

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2006, 01:58:16 AM »
congrats tra!!!

got one, too.. 64k over 3 yrs and a PI fellowship

What exactly is the PI fellowship involve?  Congrats to you too - but I'm guessing it's not very tempting :P.

azdezza

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2006, 03:07:07 AM »
Congrats to you peeps receiving money from Chicago!!! Did you already fill out both FAFSA and Need Access?