Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Rutgers or Seton Hall  (Read 1083 times)

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
Rutgers or Seton Hall
« on: February 02, 2006, 01:33:35 PM »
Is anyone considering these two school?  I know the topic has been posted previously, but I'd like a fresh perspective.

What are the pros and cons of each.  I have been accepted into both.  Seton Hall has given me a scholarship which places it on roughly equal footing, financially, with Rutgers.  I live far away and work, so I'm not able to visit the campuses.  Can anyone give me reasons for considering/accepting/rejecting?

Gert B. Frobe

• View Profile
Re: Rutgers or Seton Hall
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 06:24:58 PM »
I am considering both as well and also work.  I can tell you that one of the attorneys that I work with went to SHU.  He speaks volumes of it.  He also makes a fortune every year. 

Another attorney I work with went to RU.  I don't know much about it though. 

As far as I'm concerned, it all comes down to the doughnuts.  Whichever's cheapest. 

RU Newark and Seton Hall are right in downtown Newark, right by Penn Station.  Easy access to the city. 

If you're gonna live there, I'm not sure I would recommend Newark.  There's some really nice surrounding areas/cities with a lot of young folk.  I'm not sure if you know the area.  If you don't and decide to go to either, I can probably point you in a few good directions. 

I'll try and get some more info on the schools for you.

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:01:24 PM »
Put me in the same boat.  If you want to work in NJ, go with either.  If you want the option of working in NY (assuming you do well in LS) take Rutgers. 

Both buildings are nice, but I'd say SHU's building is in the better area because it is right next to Penn Station.  Rutgers gets the edge for diversity. 

Among the typical NJ resident, Seton Hall law has a certain amount of prestige, for whatever reason.  I'm NOT saying this is the case with attorneys.  Attorneys that I work with say both are well respected.

So, the decision really comes down to which you prefer.

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2006, 11:10:56 PM »
seton hall costs double for a worse education and is not, in my opinion, regarded more highly by nj residents, so i think it's a no-brainer to go to rutgers.  as a disclaimer, i'm a rutgers ug alum (new brunswick).

Mr. Pink

• LSD Obsessed
  • @#!* YOU! @#!* YOU! I'M f-in' DYING HERE! I'M FU
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2006, 11:17:05 PM »
Go to rutgers.  It really is a no brainer.  Rutgers has a  better faculty and tuition is half the price.  In the city, rutgers has a better reputation and in NJ they are practically equal.  I also go to Rutgers--New Brunswick.  but it really is a no brainer.  Look at USNEWS rankings, look at where they say reputation and notice rutgers is .2-.4 higher than SH
Mr. White: Smoke?
Mr. Pink: I quit.
[later]
Mr. Pink: What, you got one?

DetectiveKimble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2006, 11:30:26 PM »
The OP said cost wasn't an issue as he/she received a generous scholarship offer.  Secondly, as far as reputation goes, Seton Hall has a score of 2.8 vs. 2.9 for Rutgers.  Hardly a big difference. 

Like I said above, if you want to stay in NJ, pick either.  If you want the NYC option, pick Rutgers. 

I don't really think you could go wrong with either because these are the only two law schools in the state, and they both happen to be pretty well regarded. 

Rutgers is a solid UG school, whereas Seton Hall is TTT.  But, I don't really think that   has any impact on the perceptions of the LS.

Go to rutgers.  It really is a no brainer.  Rutgers has a  better faculty and tuition is half the price.  In the city, rutgers has a better reputation and in NJ they are practically equal.  I also go to Rutgers--New Brunswick.  but it really is a no brainer.  Look at USNEWS rankings, look at where they say reputation and notice rutgers is .2-.4 higher than SH

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 12:12:08 AM »
Don't forget that Rutgers Newark has better Philly and South Jersey prospects because of its RU Camden  ties (alumni are known for their Rutgers allegiances).
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

PaddyWack

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 02:03:08 PM »
Thanks for all the replies.

Barring another school throwing tons of money at me, I'm going with Rutgers.  They also offered me a scholarship (40%), placing it well below Seton Hall in terms of cost (but I have to admit that Seton Hall did flatter me with their offer).  They also reccommend that I apply for another $5K/year scholarship, which would really be sweet.

I've been doing some minor poking around and RU and Seton Hall seem pretty close NJ, with SHU having a slight edge.  But RU has a better national reputation.  If, say, I want to move to Boston or something, RU would give me a tad more clout.

I'm also a Rutgers College undergrad ('02 Psychology).  I REALLY wish the law school was in NB.  I'd be there without a second thought.

Gert B. Frobe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 02:30:14 PM »
Futhermore, if you tend to make decisions based on mindless reasons like me....

Seton Hall has a better basketball team than Rutgers,  And Rutgers football (although decent this year) is generally thought of as the laughing stock of the state. 

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2006, 03:07:25 PM »
Seton Hall has a better basketball team than Rutgers,  And Rutgers football (although decent this year) is generally thought of as the laughing stock of the state. 

First of all, Rutgers football made it to the Insight Bowl this year and the program has spiralled like crazy ever since Schiano took over.  Our incoming recruits are awesome and there looks to be a very bright future for Scarlet Knights fans.  Does Seton Hall even have a football team?   
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!