Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In-State Residency UIUC  (Read 515 times)

ljl3y

• View Profile
In-State Residency UIUC
« on: February 01, 2006, 07:35:03 PM »
I'm sorry if this has been covered somewhere else on this board (if so, someone please piont the way, thx)

Anyone know how hard it is to get residency status for second year at Illinois? Looks kind of hard but not imposible.  Anyone out there with experience in this area?

Example: What if my partner moves with me this fall and works for the calendar year leading up to 2L? If I marry him, would that enough to get me residency status 2L and 3L? 

I ask because the offered 15K scholarship pretty much covers in-state tuition and it would be SWEET to qualify 2nd and 3rd year.

Thanks!!!
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!

IN: VIRGINIA (off the WL)!!! Wisconsin($), W&L($), Fordham PT, Richmond($, w/d), UIUC($$, w/d), Cardozo($$, w/d), Miami (w/d), Hastings($, w/d)
OUT:Chicago, NYU, Columbia
WL: Michigan, Emory, Fordham FT, W&M, UT Austin, Vandy

kingofspain

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In-State Residency UIUC
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 07:39:41 PM »
i started a post about this somewhere, apparently it's pretty hard.  you have to live there for 6 months before school or earn half your income there or something to that effect.  sorry if that wasn't all that helpful.

ljl3y

• View Profile
Re: In-State Residency UIUC
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 11:45:03 AM »
Thanks archival!!!  I saw the faq too before I posted - but your way is more helpful, this way everyone can see.

It looks like maybe we could swing in-state status second year if my guy worked while we were there and filed taxes, etc.

I was hoping someone might have anecdotal experience with this working or not, etc.

I'll speak with the fin aid office at some point to get details.  As discussed in another thread, we are being very careful with the decision to marry or not, not sure what impact that will have on fin aid, etc...

this is all so complicated.  thank goodness for LSD, you guys are the best.
173/2.97
5 yrs WE NY Law Firm
Non-trad (2 sons)
C'ville-bound!

IN: VIRGINIA (off the WL)!!! Wisconsin($), W&L($), Fordham PT, Richmond($, w/d), UIUC($$, w/d), Cardozo($$, w/d), Miami (w/d), Hastings($, w/d)
OUT:Chicago, NYU, Columbia
WL: Michigan, Emory, Fordham FT, W&M, UT Austin, Vandy