Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to live in DC  (Read 2838 times)

justGem

• Sr. Citizen
  • Let them eat cake!
    • View Profile
    • when i need a laugh
Re: Where to live in DC
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 12:22:19 PM »
Alexandria, VA - Old Town (However you didnt mention price as a criteria). Most of the schools in Northern VA are pretty good. 

Maclock

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 01:24:08 PM »
Thank you very much!

M.

Guerito

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2006, 10:31:52 PM »
Wow... lots of helpful info in these posts!!  Thanks Barney, ACK! and the rest!

I'm heading to D.C. next week to look for a place to live.  I'll be going to GWU (but am still crossing my fingers for GULC waitlist :) ) and am married.  My wife will be working so we can probably afford a little more than the traditional student... my question:  I've seen a couple of places near Gallaudet University and the New York Ave Metro stop.  How is the neighborhood around this area?  Safety is somewhat of a concern and we'd prefer a smaller apartment in a better neighborhood if it came to trade-offs.

Up to now, I've been looking mostly in the NW around Dupont Circle and north of Georgetown but would be interested in knowing what else is out there.  Thanks again for any info!

Goodfella

• Sr. Citizen
  • I get to live the rest of my life like a schnook
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 06, 2006, 10:55:47 PM »
Wow... lots of helpful info in these posts!!  Thanks Barney, ACK! and the rest!

I'm heading to D.C. next week to look for a place to live.  I'll be going to GWU (but am still crossing my fingers for GULC waitlist :) ) and am married.  My wife will be working so we can probably afford a little more than the traditional student... my question:  I've seen a couple of places near Gallaudet University and the New York Ave Metro stop.  How is the neighborhood around this area?  Safety is somewhat of a concern and we'd prefer a smaller apartment in a better neighborhood if it came to trade-offs.

Up to now, I've been looking mostly in the NW around Dupont Circle and north of Georgetown but would be interested in knowing what else is out there.  Thanks again for any info!

The consensus is that area is gentrifying but is still a little iffy. You should be fine but if safety is a major issue then there are other areas you could look. The Southwest Waterfront is pretty safe and relatively cheap because there's not much there in the way of nightlife. In fact, if you're looking to buy values there will probably go up once (if?) the new Nationals stadium is built. And since you're going to GW you might want to look at places along the Orange Line in Arlington. Lots of cheap stuff out there and a short commute to GW. Plus the nightlife there is getting better, though nobody would mistake it for Georgetown or Adams Morgan.
UVA '09

WinnieCooper

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2006, 02:51:53 PM »
So, is there anywhere in Virginia, close to D.C., that has great schools, low crime and a buzzing nightlife for we younger, childless types that will have kids in the future?  It would be nice to have nightlife and good schools in the same area.

This trifecta would be even better if on a Metro line.

Thoughts, anyone?

Look in the neighborhoods along the orange line from Rosslyn to Ballston.  That fits your description exactly.

Guerito, you may feel safe around New York Ave metro and Gallaudet, but your wife may not.  It is generally considered not too hot of an area, and as a younger woman I would not live there.  Stick to the areas in NW that Barney mentioned or the areas directly around the Capitol if you want to be in the District.  I have friends who live in Columbia Heights and I think it's still a little scary, especially at night.  Two friends of mine have been mugged near the Columbia Heights metro.

Washingtonpost.com has an excellent map of the city with interactive buttons that show the crime statistics.  Search for it- it's neat.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 07, 2006, 04:12:26 PM »
So, is there anywhere in Virginia, close to D.C., that has great schools, low crime and a buzzing nightlife for we younger, childless types that will have kids in the future?  It would be nice to have nightlife and good schools in the same area.

This trifecta would be even better if on a Metro line.

Thoughts, anyone?

Look in the neighborhoods along the orange line from Rosslyn to Ballston.  That fits your description exactly.

Guerito, you may feel safe around New York Ave metro and Gallaudet, but your wife may not.  It is generally considered not too hot of an area, and as a younger woman I would not live there.  Stick to the areas in NW that Barney mentioned or the areas directly around the Capitol if you want to be in the District.  I have friends who live in Columbia Heights and I think it's still a little scary, especially at night.  Two friends of mine have been mugged near the Columbia Heights metro.

This is very good advice. I wouldn't jump into the area around NY Ave. Metro unless you're familiar with the city and are sure that you're comfortable with it. Plus, you should have an easier commute to GW if you get a place in the neighborhoods along the orange line from Rosslyn to Ballston. You can always move after a year.
U Chi '09

tabthe3

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 07, 2006, 05:18:47 PM »
Fairfax county in VA and Montgomery county in MD both have pretty good school systems.  If you live anywhere else, you should send your kid(s), when/if they come, to a private school. 

I am strongly biased towards DC over VA or MD if you do not have kids.  Somewhere on the livable part of the redline - Dupont, Woodley, Cleveland Park - would be good.  The commute to school would take a bit longer, but those areas are probaly the best places to live in DC in terms of safety and access to restaurants and nightlife.  If you have a car or a bike, eastern Georgetown could be good too.  In my unbiased opinion, Dupont, where I live, is definately the best area :)

Stay clear of everything that is not NW if you are not familiar with DC.  While some areas around the Capitol are ok, it is difficult to tell which are and which are not.  A lot depends on your background.  If you have lived in the suburbs for most of your life, the questionable areas for some people might be bad areas for you.  Alternatively bad or questionable areas to some people might seem fine to you. 

GW

dbk10

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 07, 2006, 05:21:46 PM »
When in doubt...when you come to visit the places, come back and revisit them at night.  For some neighborhoods, that will make your decision much easier.  Some neighborhoods are great during the day, but change at night.