Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to live in DC  (Read 2826 times)

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
Re: Where to live in DC
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2006, 12:51:45 PM »
I went to Georgetown as an undergrad, but I lived in and around campus so I'm not as familiar with the rest of the district as far as living costs/safety go.  Also, it's been four years since I've lived in DC.  From what I understand, Dupont, Georgetown and Foggy Bottom are pretty expensive to live in.  What about Logan Cirlce or the U St. area? Are they safe? And as far as Van Ness or Tenleytown, aren't they kinda far away from the Law Center? And how safe is Northeast?
Attending GULC in Fall '06

check01

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 02:09:58 PM »
Logan Circle and U Street are a lot better than they were, but I think you need a car to live there conveniently.

DO NOT get an apartment blind in Northeast. I would only live in immediate Northeast, by which I mean shadow of the Capitol, preferably within the patrol range of the Capitol police. In any case not past 7th Street. It's almost impossible to find cheap living there, though.

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 02:22:16 PM »
I went to Georgetown as an undergrad, but I lived in and around campus so I'm not as familiar with the rest of the district as far as living costs/safety go.  Also, it's been four years since I've lived in DC.  From what I understand, Dupont, Georgetown and Foggy Bottom are pretty expensive to live in.  What about Logan Cirlce or the U St. area? Are they safe? And as far as Van Ness or Tenleytown, aren't they kinda far away from the Law Center? And how safe is Northeast?

Tenleytown and Van Ness (and to lesser extent the Cleveland Park area) are on the outer edge of the city, but they're on the redline, so it's an easy commute down to Georgetown's law center. The quality of life up there is good, especially if you're older--feels more like the suburbs than the city. Logan/Dupont/Thomas circle areas generally aren't bad, but they're not the happy extreme that you'd get further out.  If money's not an issue, they're throwing new buildings up like mad in Chinatown, which has an increddible location really close to GULC (one metro stop, maybe a 2 minute drive or 20 minute walk).

North-east is hit or miss. Some neighborhoods are really nice, some are the worst in the city. Eastern Market and areas that they call Capital hill will generally be nice, but don't believe an ad that claims a place is in capital hill--use a map, and assume that anything outside of a 10 block radius (8 or 9 if you're erring towards cautious) is in another neighborhood altogether (and that there's a reason they tried to pass it off as capital hill). Just be sure to look closely at any place at NE, and if possible, visit the area on a Saturday night.  

U-street/Columbia Heights area is cheap, easy to get to (two metro lines) and arguably fairly safe.  It's a lot of fun there if you're 21, less so if you're a bit older. A car can be a pain--parking is hard to come by.

azdezza

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 02:39:15 PM »

U-street/Columbia Heights area is cheap, easy to get to (two metro lines) and arguably fairly safe.  It's a lot of fun there if you're 21, less so if you're a bit older. A car can be a pain--parking is hard to come by.

I agree that this area has a reputation for being both (somewhat) cheap and fairly safe.  However, just a bit further east (near Catholic U) it starts to get shady.  My friend (female) was mugged just outside the Brookland-CUA metro station on a Sunday in broad daylight (with people walking nearby and everything).  They didn't just snatch her per either; they punched her in the face (knocking her down) and kicked her in the gut.  And when she got up and asked someone nearby (who was talking on his cell phone) if she could use his phone to call the police(mind you... this guy just saw what happened), he turned his back on her and said "sorry."  I couldn't believe it when she told me!

funny1x2

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 09:05:37 PM »
You really do have to be careful everywhere though -- my parents live less than 2 blocks from the vice president's compound (aka on embassy row) and people have been held up at gunpoint in broad daylight there too.

that doesn't mean dc is awful -- i love it and would never leave -- but there is crime in EVERY city. you just have to be careful no matter where you live. sometimes the safest areas can be dangerous because people let their guard down

chastenedaspirations

• Sr. Citizen
  • JD applicant and street performer extraordinaire!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - cthenantucketman
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2006, 09:29:13 AM »
Adams Morgan/Woodley Park area. Cool neighborhood. Fairly safe area (below Columbia Heights). Great restaurants/bars. Convenient access to the Red Line. Not unreasonably expensive. I live there now and I love it.
GPA: 3.8+
LSAT: 170+

dad

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 04:57:20 PM »
I'm thinking about GULC and am looking for a nice suburban area.  have a son (as the name implies) and want something safe and preferably close to a park or an apartment complex with its own little area. I was thinking about Falls Church, but is the transfer really that annoying? Any recs for further out on the red line?

azdezza

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 05:11:58 PM »
I'm thinking about GULC and am looking for a nice suburban area.  have a son (as the name implies) and want something safe and preferably close to a park or an apartment complex with its own little area. I was thinking about Falls Church, but is the transfer really that annoying? Any recs for further out on the red line?

The transfer at Metro Center isn't bad at all.  Trains are coming in and out of there every 5 seconds (okay, that's an exaggeration, but it's MUCH better than making a transfer at the end of a line...like trying to get on the yellow from Gallery Pl).  Still, I'd recommend Maryland (red line) over Virginia just because it is a slightly easier commute.  I said earlier that I lived in Tenleytown and had no problem with the commute into the city.  I can't imagine Bethesda would be much differnt, and from the few times I was there, it seemed very suburban.

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 05:12:54 PM »

Transfer isn't bad--but it does take time. Trains run 15-20 minutes late at night, and some areas in NoVA require two transfers.  

Bethesda/Chevy Chase/Rockville are all on the Red-line, and all have some reasonably priced places that won't break a student budget, but you'll have to look a little hard to find them.  Silver Spring and Takoma have some rough areas, but I know several folks who are happily raising families there as well-- and the price is generally right (bunches of new apartment complexes on Georgia Ave and 16th street. Just avoid the Summit Hills complex---it's a great price, in a good neighborhood, but I've never known anyone to reside there happily).

Montgomery/Arlington/Fairfax are definently the way to go if you've got kids though, unless you can afford private schools.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2006, 05:30:36 PM »

It's not the frequent trains during rush hour that are the problem. It's the transfers at night and on the weekends when you can end up waiting 15 minutes. It's not a huge deal, but if you have to deal with them constantly, it becomes tiresome.

If your son will be in public school, I would agree that you'd want to live in Maryland or Virginia. I have friends doing Teach for America in DC, and they really don't have anything good to say about the schools. The schools are good in Maryland near NW, but the cost of rent can be pretty high.

My daily commute is from Friendship Heights/Chevy Chase, which is right at the Maryland/DC border in NW, to Union Station, which is right near GULC. This is a direct shot on the redline, and it takes me about 20 to 30 minutes on the train. But be sure to factor walking time on either end, as it gets tiresome after a few years.
U Chi '09