Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Where to live in DC  (Read 2832 times)

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
Where to live in DC
« on: February 01, 2006, 03:41:29 PM »
  I'll be going to GULC and want to stay in the district.  I'm getting married this summer, so I can't live on campus.  Any suggestions on affordable places to live in DC?Any tips on apartment searches?
Attending GULC in Fall '06

azdezza

Re: Where to live in DC
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:58:57 PM »
Remember that GULC is about a block from union station, so any apt you can find on the metro red line would be incredibly convenient (assuming you wouldn't prefer to drive).  I lived in Tinleytown (near American Univ) while interning in DC and the commute wasn't bad at all!  Anything near the metro stops between Union Station and Shady Grove would be, IMO, your best bet.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 04:08:07 PM »
I seem to remember that you're coming from Missouri, so you'll find the prices here annoying. That said, you should be able to afford a one-bedroom given that you'll have two people. I would live on the redline, since you'll want to be able to take it to the Judciary Square stop near GULC without transferring, which can be a real pain. The neighborhood I find most appealing on the red line is Cleveland Park. It has a nice neighborhoody feel, as it has many small shops, and it has useful things like a grocery store (Magruder's), post office, the Uptown Movie theater, and some rather nice low-key bars. I had a friend who lived within a 5 minute walk of the Cleveland Park metro and paid 1200 a month for a nice 1 bedroom. Also check out stuff near Woodley Park.
U Chi '09

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 07:11:56 PM »
It depends what you're looking for.  Stick close to the red-line: even if you have a car, parking and traffic can be awful in that part of town, especially at rush-hour. 

If price is your biggest concern, look at the Catholic University area in Northeast. It's not a fantastic neighborhood (I'm hard pressed for the appropriate adjetive--it's not dangerous, but it's run down enough in parts that you might not walk around alone at night) but the price is right.  You'd also be 10 minutes from campus.   

You can find some good deals in the Cap. Hill area, but be cautious---Capital Hill on a Craigslist ad can mean anything West of the Anacostia. I'd also take a look at the Woodley-Park /Tunlaw area.  It's off metro, but plenty of bus access--and rent is lower as a result.  Lots of students up there.

I'd also look at the closer suburbs.  Bethesda, Silver Spring, and Takoma are full of good deals, and Arlington/Alexandria are closer to DC proper than most neighborhoods actually in the city (though you'll save on taxes and car insurance--substantially in the latter case).

If price isn't your concern-- what are you looking for?

oldhat

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 08:05:50 PM »
Just stay out of the Anacostia/Navy Yard area and you'll be fine. Look in the NE if you're looking to save money. Pretty much anywhere in the NW is going to be expensive.

Mt. Pleasant is relatively inexpensive but is being gentrified quickly.

check01

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 08:11:46 PM »
Dupont Circle. Cool neighborhood, walk to G-Town (the neighborhood, not the school), right on the red line.

fauxsheesy

• AOL Instant Messenger - fauxsheesy
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 10:11:33 AM »
any thoughts on crime, etc?  i'm really unfamiliar with the DC area.  what are the neighborhoods to stay away from?
90% GMU Bound
10% Waiting...

redbottlecap

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 10:23:09 AM »
Most anyplace in SE.  Don't be lured in by ads for a 2 bedroom apartment for $500 a month.  Parts of Capitol Hill can be sketchy at night, but if you have a fair amount of street smarts, you'll be fine.  Generally speaking, NW is good, but some neighborhoods are iffy, so make sure you check them out before signing the lease.

If you're really concerned about crime, you may want to look into living in Maryland or Virginia.  They're usually a lot safer.

Barney

• Sr. Citizen
  • 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 11:21:35 AM »
If you're flying blind, stick to Northwest, and neighborhoods west of 12th. There are plenty of good neighborhoods in the rest of the city, but the "upper northwest" is your surest bet for safety if you're really concerned.  I'm told the cops consider the posting a prelude to quiet retirement.

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 12:09:10 PM »
If you're flying blind, stick to Northwest, and neighborhoods west of 12th. There are plenty of good neighborhoods in the rest of the city, but the "upper northwest" is your surest bet for safety if you're really concerned.  I'm told the cops consider the posting a prelude to quiet retirement.

I think this is the right approach. NW on the red line is the safe bet among the areas that are easy to get to GULC from. You'll always be able to move in a year once you've established your comfort level with different parts of the city.
U Chi '09