Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jessica Simpson has a 160 IQ, really!  (Read 13596 times)

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Jessica Simpson has a 160 IQ, really!
« on: July 23, 2004, 04:56:12 PM »
Okay, here's the story from US Weekly Aug. 2 (I got it today in the mail).

Is Jessica's IQ Really 160?

She may have not know the difference between chicken and tuna, but Jessica Simpson's no dummy. Or so says her mother, Tina. In August's Vanity Fair, Mom boasts that the Newleyweds star, 23, scored 160 on an IQ test (100 is average) in the fifth grade. "And, you know, that's like genius level."

One problem: Hardly anyone reaches that score. "Even if you had a 145 or 146 IQ, you'd be beating more than 99.8 percent of the population," Dr. G. Frank Lawlis, supervisory psychologist for Mensa, tells US. People with high IQs, he adds, typically are interested in mathematics, physics and puzzles. "Ask her what she likes to do," he says. "If none of the activities are based on academic pursuits, it's highly unlikely."

At a July 16 concert Simpson told a fan, "I'm addicted to shopping and accessories. I love spending money!" Hmm...

NYKnicks

Re: Jessica Simpson has a 160 IQ, really!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 05:03:02 PM »
That is just too funny, and it also shows that IQ tests don't mean jack sometimes.

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 05:14:06 PM »
I think her Mom just feels pressured to protect her daughter from the media but overdid the lie. If she would've just said a 125 then ppl would've believed her.

Yeah, I thought it was pretty hilarious myself and had to post it.

MaroonOut2005

• Sr. Citizen
  • Attending: Notre Dame
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 05:16:25 PM »
I've always thought Jessica was smarter then she let on.  I assumed it was an act to get attention (and it worked).  However, I seriously doubt she got a 160.  That is some rediciously high percentile, and I refuse to believe she is smarter than me!

Thanks and Gig 'Em,
Jason

L1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 05:20:36 PM »
Well the clear winner of the "Who's the smartest person on LSD" thread can go up against Jessica Simpson.

foxnewssucks

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 05:24:14 PM »
ummm yeah... I think her mom stated the wrong number.

Anti_Ivy

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 05:26:43 PM »
I think her Mom just feels pressured to protect her daughter from the media but overdid the lie. If she would've just said a 125 then ppl would've believed her.

Whoaa, Nellie!  There are multiple/different IQ tests.  A 160 on one test may equal a 130 or less on another.  Although I cannot stand Jessica, I'm going to stand up for her in this post.  That 'Dr. G. Frank Lawlis' is ignoring the fact that she may have taken a test that was scored differently.  

I don't think J. Simpson is [exceptionally] smart, but I also don't think her mother would have lied about the IQ exam.  When I was little (approx. 11), I took an IQ test and scored remarkably high.  However, the number is/was irrelevant.  Instead I was told/given just a percentile, because (as I mentioned earlier) each test has a different scale.  

It is the same as comparing the ACT, LSAT, and SAT exams/scores with each other.  The SAT score is ALWAYS going to be higher than the ACT and LSAT scores.

Dr. G. Frank Lawlis, supervisory psychologist for Mensa, tells US. People with high IQs, he adds, typically are interested in mathematics, physics and puzzles. "Ask her what she likes to do," he says. "If none of the activities are based on academic pursuits, it's highly unlikely."

That's bull.  Again, Dr. G. Frank Lawlis is misleading/lying.  I'd bet that we have a few (if not many) LSDers who have an IQ score in the top ten percentile.  I'd also bet that those people actually enjoy shopping or watch sports (live or via TV).  If Dr. G. Frank Lawlis' comment were accurate, everyone who enjoyed life would be not be a genius and might possibly be a dumbass.

Granted, my last sentence is based on an assumption (damn LSAT), but ya'll get my point.[/color]

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 06:44:14 PM »
J. Simpson is playing the roll of the "dumb blond" in order to get guy's attention.  That tuna scene was perfect, in that she got thousands of viewers to watch her show, and even got her a contract to market "chicken of the sea." 

People do treat you differently, if they perceive you to be smart, dumb, stupid, or retard, etc... 

Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

Keilie

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 07:09:37 PM »
Goldie Hawn certainly made a fortune acting like an idiot.

Although, I think Jessica's business "genius" comes from her father's management.

EnglishToLaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bow ties: quintessential legal fashion accessories
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 08:13:08 PM »
I'd say Jessica's mom fudged the score by a decimal place or two.

I happen to know Frank Lawlis, and he is a bit of a putz. How he suddenly became the IQ testing guru I don't know, but he was on that IQ show a few months ago hosted by Leeza Gibbons. Nothing says expertise like a prime-time television appearance.  :-X