Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Prep books for law school  (Read 286 times)

holle012

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - mib3fan012
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - mib3fan
    • View Profile
    • My stats
Prep books for law school
« on: February 01, 2006, 03:08:12 PM »
Long story short, I tried to be the good student and took entirely too many hours in a short period of time in order to graduate early. While I did graduate early with honors, nonetheless the lack of free time resulted in me being far from as prepared for the LSAT as I would have liked to have been, and my score indicated that. In short, I think I screwed myself over in that respect. That said, I do now have eight free months before law school starts, and I'm trying to do some reading to really get ahead of the game.

Your first year classes are generally going to consist of Contracts, Torts, Civil Procedure, Constitutional Law, Criminal Law, Property, and Legal Writing.

For Torts, I went on Amazon.com today and bought Glannon's "The Law of Torts: Examples and Explanations." The reviews were pretty good for it, so I bought it. However, it seems I will need another tort book to go along with it, any recommendations for something to read after I finish Glannon's book?

Also, for Civil Proceure, I bought Glannon's "Civil Procedure: Examples and Explanations." The reviews of it were overwhelmingly positive, however I would still like to read something besides this for Civil Procedure.

For legal writing, I was planning on buying "Scholarly Writing for Law Students." Does anyone know anything about this?

Also, can anyone give me some recommendations for books regarding contracts, criminal law, constitutional law, and property?
"Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself." --Milton Friedman

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=holle012

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
Re: Prep books for law school
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 03:29:35 PM »
just a heads up - i found Glannon's email address on Suffolk's website and emailed him asking if he was going to release a new edition of his Civ Pro book (since the most recent one was published back in 2001).  surprisingly, he responded and told me that a new edition is at the printers right now and will be out in the next couple of months. 
Attending GULC in Fall '06

Ocean Blue

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Prep books for law school
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 05:05:51 PM »
just a heads up - i found Glannon's email address on Suffolk's website and emailed him asking if he was going to release a new edition of his Civ Pro book (since the most recent one was published back in 2001).  surprisingly, he responded and told me that a new edition is at the printers right now and will be out in the next couple of months. 

Nice initiative - you will do very well in law school.
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=ocnblu6

168/3.62
Accepted: Michigan, UT-Austin($$$), USC, NotreDame($$$) W&L($$$), Boston U, UCLA
Pending: UVA, LLS, Duke, Penn
Rejected: Boalt, Chicago
Waitlisted: Georgetown