Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: new topic idea...take a look  (Read 1274 times)

epicurious

new topic idea...take a look
« on: July 23, 2004, 04:21:35 PM »

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
Re: new topic idea...take a look
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 04:30:45 PM »
Well... do you have specific examples of how it's helped you deal with other people, or how it's changed you?

And, more fliply, what type are you?

I'm INTJ, though basically 50/50 on the last two letters.
"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 04:38:31 PM »
Oh and by the way, my instinct on this topic is "no", because it too easily comes off as self-involved and dreamily philosophical.

[As much as, being INTP*, I'm obsessed with the things also].

*Yeah I got it wrong in the post above; even though I am 50/50, the INTP description does fit me better].

Um, anyhoo.
"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."

jacy85

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 05:02:34 PM »
I think it could be interesting.  I'm sure adcoms don't read about this everyday.

However, adn this is a big however, you must be VERY careful how you do this.  You need to come across as grounded and centered.  I agree to a point with nonobvious, that you can come off as being very "out there" and move from "unique" to "odd."  Don't turn this into your religion, but more of a hobby (I realize it's more than that to you, I just couldn't think of a better word...sorry!)  Learning about yourself, and anything that can help you not only be more introspective but also gain a good understanding of people could be a good topic, especially since probably 60% of working in a firm is dealing with clients.  If you can't wheel and deal, you'll never make partner.

One other thing I noticed, however, is the description of your type.  How you fear being in a situation you don't like and are always seeking out options. This, IMO, is a horrible thing to say to an adcom.  I immediately thought to myself "what if he doesn't like law school?  Lots of people don't like it, but they stick it out.  If this is really a big fear, what's to stop him from dropping out and taking another option?  Would we be potentially wasting a seat on this guy?"  I'm not an adcom, but that was my gut reaction when reading that.   You may want to not focus so much on that negative aspect, and perhaps focus on the fact that you always tend to plan for the future and forget to live in the present.