Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Auntie Red's Wisdom for December LSAT Takers  (Read 15073 times)

George Jefferson≤

• Sr. Citizen
  • Suck on my salty chocolate balls!
    • View Profile
Re: Auntie Red's Wisdom for February Test Takers
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2006, 07:36:34 PM »
Edited: My post was too douchey, even for me.
Put 'em in yo mouth!

redemption

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2006, 08:43:08 AM »
daily BUMP

redemption

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2006, 10:33:10 AM »
Final bump for this application cycle

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2006, 11:52:05 AM »
Excellent advice. I mean great stuff. Thank you so much. I really want to do this test now.

I also feel, that BEING calm and poise is one of the greatest factors that determine your success on the LSAT.

I cant wait for tommorow.
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

magnumalv

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2006, 11:52:48 AM »
I also feel, that BEING clam and poise is one of the greatest factors that determine your success on the LSAT.

Being an oyster helps too.  ;)

bump

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 11:56:31 AM »
I also feel, that BEING clam and poise is one of the greatest factors that determine your success on the LSAT.

Being an oyster helps too.  ;)

bump

My bad, thats what happens when you type to fast.

Bump
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!

magnumalv

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 11:59:17 AM »
I was just teasin'.  ;)

redemption

Re: Auntie Red's Wisdom for June LSAT Takers
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2006, 08:28:44 AM »
Thanks for the bump, Swats  :)

BEFORE THE TEST

1. Sleep well the night before. Donít get drunk on Sunday evening. Have a nice meal with a group of people, if you can.

2. Donít do a practice test on Sunday

3. If and when you get nervous between now and Monday, look over one or two LR questions picked at random. Get them right. Know that you got them right because you know how to get them right.

4. Donít worry about how hard/easy the test is going to be: it wonít help you, it will just make you feel nervous, and the scale will adjust for it in any case

5. I hope that no-one who is planning on taking the June test feels like they could do better if they had more time to prepare. I urge you to reconsider taking the test June if you are not consistently practiciing at 3 or 4 scaled points higher than a final score that you can accept. The LSAT is vital, not only to being admitted, but also for potentially tens of thousands of dollars in scholarship money.

DURING THE TEST

RC

1. Donít start answering questions until you know what the passage is saying, how it is structured, and what the authors pov & tone are

2. Answer the most general questions first - itís easier and quicker that way, and it will incrementally build context which will be useful for the specific and inference questions that you do later

LR

1. Every question is worth one point. Donít spend 4 minutes on a parallel reasoning question just because youíre being stubborn. Do these last, if you have to.

2. Underline/mark/highlight the conclusion of every stimulus. Know exactly what it is saying and what it is not saying. 90% of LR questions depend on understanding & referring back to the conclusion.

3. Mark the premises (superscript 1, 2 or whatever)

4.a Elimination of wrong answers is necessary for a high score and for speed. 4 of the 5 responses to each question are wrong. You can MAKE them wrong. The only one that you canít make wrong is TCR.

4b. Often, youíll very quickly get down to two options. Remember that one of them is WRONG. Pick over every word and phrase in each, find a reason to make one of them wrong.

5. Inferences do not have to follow from the conclusion. They may flow from a single premise. Thatís a useful thing to remember.

6. Know your pace. The first 13 or so are usually quite straightforward. 14 to 19 are usually the trickiest. 20 to 25 are usually easy, but just take longer. Break the LR section into thirds, and have a general idea of where you want to be by what time. Keep to it (more or less).

GAMES

1. Itís all in the set-up, baby. Worth taking the time up front to set it up carefully.

2. If youíre really dazed and confused in the middle of a game, your set-up is likely screwy (you might have mis-interpreted/mis-written a rule): check it and make sure.

3. Donít let one game screw up the whole section for you. If you canít figure it out, move on to the next one. Donít let a smaller problem become a huge problem.

Donít sweat small stuff in your testing environment. This is between you and the LSAT, not about the jackhammer outside or the guy sniffling next to you. You need to be in the zone, and when you are, nothing will be noticeable to you except the question in front of you and the timer that youíre using.

Donít obsess in between sections and tell yourself that youíve truly messed it up. Donít wonder which section was experimental and which wasnít. Go to the bathroom, or something. Plenty of time for that later on LSD. Plus, youíll have company.

Good luck, and kick some ass.

4DClaw

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2006, 08:30:47 AM »
To June takers: follow this. It's more practical than the crap they give you in the test books. It helped me prepare for the Feb. LSAT.
Georgetown

LizPendensô

• LSD Obsessed
  • The Real Alice -- Adventures in Wonderland
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2006, 08:31:50 AM »
Thanks for bumping this one. I'll even add it to my Link-a-palooza thread, even though red called me a whore.  :o

(I'm cool with red, so chill out people.)
There foam'd rebellious Logic, gagg'd and bound.                           
            -  Charles Dodgson,  "Lewis Carroll"                               
                         "The Game of Logic"