Law School Discussion

Disturbing- recent Penn law grad commits suicide... I think

Disturbing- recent Penn law grad commits suicide... I think
« on: February 01, 2006, 09:54:05 AM »
I was studying up on Penn by doing a Lexis search of recent media, and I came across this... it sounds like she killed herself, but why would such an accomplished person do such a thing?  Has anyone in the area heard about this? (I omitted her name because it seemed rude to post it.)  It makes me a little nervous about Penn, although maybe it shouldn't.  I dunno.  Maybe the Paper Chase is right, and this happens all the time.  Thoughts?

The New York Times
October 21, 2005 Friday
Paid Notice: Deaths

XXX., 26, October 17, 2005. Daughter of Diane and Bill, sister of Michael.

Survived by her loving family and devoted friends. Raised in Denver, Valedictorian East High School, 1997, graduated Yale with Honors 2001, University of Pennsylvania Law School JD, cum laude 2005. Clerk to Judge Jean Pratter, Eastern District Court of Pennsylvania. She was to be an associate at Simpson, Thatcher in 2006. XXXXX had a passion for constitutional law and social justice. Her brilliance, humor and vibrancy will be sorely missed. Contributions to: Suicide Prevention Coalition, Suite 425, 6795 East Tennessee Ave., Denver, CO. 80224.

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
Re: Disturbing- recent Penn law grad commits suicide... I think
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:56:53 AM »
I was studying up on Penn by doing a Lexis search of recent media, and I came across this... it sounds like she killed herself, but why would such an accomplished person do such a thing?  Has anyone in the area heard about this? (I omitted her name because it seemed rude to post it.)  It makes me a little nervous about Penn, although maybe it shouldn't.  I dunno.  Maybe the Paper Chase is right, and this happens all the time.  Thoughts?

The New York Times
October 21, 2005 Friday
Paid Notice: Deaths

XXX., 26, October 17, 2005. Daughter of Diane and Bill, sister of Michael.

Survived by her loving family and devoted friends. Raised in Denver, Valedictorian East High School, 1997, graduated Yale with Honors 2001, University of Pennsylvania Law School JD, cum laude 2005. Clerk to Judge Jean Pratter, Eastern District Court of Pennsylvania. She was to be an associate at Simpson, Thatcher in 2006. XXXXX had a passion for constitutional law and social justice. Her brilliance, humor and vibrancy will be sorely missed. Contributions to: Suicide Prevention Coalition, Suite 425, 6795 East Tennessee Ave., Denver, CO. 80224.

I think I heard something about this on XOXO.  There are many really insensitive people over there, so the thread was pretty bad...

At any rate, I'm pretty sure you are  right, and it's sad, but I don't know too many details.

Steve Butabi

• and I was like "EMILIOOOO!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 09:56:56 AM »
gosh I don't know....maybe something that has to do with her personal life? career isn't everything to all people.

shocking, I know. but true.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 10:00:36 AM »
right...like Tony Dungy's son...people were saying how could he do this, he had money, a famous and well respected family, a good life in school...etc...you really never know what goes on in people's heads!

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 10:05:45 AM »
I just looked at some statistics and saw that the suicide rate in America is about 10 out of every 100,000. Since there are over 100,000 people in law school (and/or recently graduated) you might expect to see suicides in that environment. Probably unrelated to school, especially since she had already graduated. Who knows without knowing what was going on in her life.

Talk about weird suicide statistics, have you heard of the five suicide victims over three years who all played high school for the same small Maine High School football team?

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 10:13:03 AM »
I just looked at some statistics and saw that the suicide rate in America is about 10 out of every 100,000. Since there are over 100,000 people in law school (and/or recently graduated) you might expect to see suicides in that environment. Probably unrelated to school, especially since she had already graduated. Who knows without knowing what was going on in her life.

Talk about weird suicide statistics, have you heard of the five suicide victims over three years who all played high school for the same small Maine High School football team?

That was really messed up, and they did a story on it in Sports Illustrated.

Was it Freakonomics that had a chapter about that island were suicide became really faddish?

wunder

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 10:15:28 AM »
Do you actually know for sure that's what caused her death?  I mean, she could have collapsed suddenly but volunteered 30 hours a week at the suicide hotline...

bass

• Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 10:18:11 AM »
Do you actually know for sure that's what caused her death?  I mean, she could have collapsed suddenly but volunteered 30 hours a week at the suicide hotline...

If it's the same girl that was discussed on XO, it's definitely a suicide.

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 10:27:38 AM »
I think what I find most bothersome is thatshe made it:  Finished law school, great clerkship, firm offer.  Basically exactly where I hope to be in 3.5 years... she was like a superior version of me. 

So it is a "this could be me" kind of thing...  :-[

Bass, if there was any substantive information on that thread, could you post a link?

ACK!

• RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2006, 10:32:05 AM »
I think what I find most bothersome is thatshe made it:  Finished law school, great clerkship, firm offer.  Basically exactly where I hope to be in 3.5 years... she was like a superior version of me. 

So it is a "this could be me" kind of thing...  :-[

Bass, if there was any substantive information on that thread, could you post a link?

Look, depression and suicide often have nothing to do with professional success. You can be at the top of your field and still be depressive. Stress can exacerbate an underlying depressive predisposition, but happiness and a healthy mental outlook are mostly self-defined. I don't think you can take one tragic example and make conclusions about your own life.