Law School Discussion

Can someone Confirm or Deny this? i am confused!

Can someone Confirm or Deny this? i am confused!
« on: February 01, 2006, 08:15:19 AM »
So, all I need to do is make sure that I fill out the FAFSA with my 2005 Tax information before the Financial Aid deadline of the schools that I have applied to.  Pending my acceptance that school will then contact me or I contact them to fill out any additional paperwork and budget adjustments.

Is that right?

Typhoon Longwang

• I have the power to stop an LSAT!
    • View Profile
Re: Can someone Confirm or Deny this? i am confused!
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 09:58:33 AM »
You can wait until the deadline but you shouldn't.  Schools normally have a limited pot of money and you want to minimize the possibility that you are denied financial aid because you procrastinated.  Do your taxes now, even if you don't have all the paperwork you need; you can estimate your taxes.  Then do your FAFSA and submit it to all the schools you've applied to (you can submit the FAFSA to 6 schools at a time and it takes about 3-5 business days for your report to go through, at which time you may submit the FAFSA to another 6 schools).  It's ok if you're basing your FAFSA on estimated taxes, just update it once you file your taxes.  Some places may even ask for additional financial aid information even before you're admitted.

Another benefit to having your FAFSA in: some schools will provide you with a financial aid award when they offer admissions...I'm not sure they do this if your FAFSA isn't submitted.