Law School Discussion

UMich App Resume

UMich App Resume
« on: January 31, 2006, 09:25:47 PM »
UMich's app says this:

Please answer the next two questions on a separate sheet of paper, listing activities and employment during or since completion of your undergraduate education. You are welcome also to submit a resume, if you wish to supply additional information.
l Please list any: (A) academic and non-academic honors and awards received, including fellowships,
prizes, and memberships in honor societies; (B) hobbies or special areas of interest or academic
pursuits; (C) significant extracurricular activities; and (D) care of dependents (children and/or
adults). It is helpful if you provide the relevant dates along with some indication of the extent of your
involvement.
l Please list up to eight positions of full-time or significant part-time employment, paid or unpaid,
beginning with your most recent. Please include the name and location of your employer, your
job title, and the dates you held the position, along with any other information you think will be
useful. (If part-time, please include the number of hours per week you worked.) If it has been more
than three months since you attended an educational institution, please be sure to let us know
what you are doing now.

So I stupidly thought this was a long-winded way of saying "attach your resume."  Did anyone else do this?

odaiko

• View Profile
Re: UMich App Resume
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 09:38:06 PM »
I attached a one-page addendum that answered the first part of the request (honors, extracurriculars, etc.) and then I attached a really detailed resume that answered all their other requirements. In fact, I ended up using that resume for the rest of my apps. I managed to weasel my way into UMich, so I must have satisfied that paperwork requirement.

corky

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 12:14:16 AM »
I attached a one-page addendum that answered the first part of the request (honors, extracurriculars, etc.) and then I attached a really detailed resume that answered all their other requirements. In fact, I ended up using that resume for the rest of my apps. I managed to weasel my way into UMich, so I must have satisfied that paperwork requirement.

I did the same. The second page was a regular resume, the first page was the specifics they asked for. If you already have a resume and the first draft of this takes longer than an hour, you're overthinking it.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 02:29:02 AM »

I tried to be really helpful to the people reading the apps... if they asked specifically for info, I used their numbers and gave that exact info.  Like for Mich I did

1)
a. blah blah blah
b. ...

I ended up just cutting and pasting my resume entries, which are designed to be easy to read.

Seems like an easy way to make make it easy on readers and show that you pay attention to detail, etc...