Law School Discussion

Calling all UCSC Graduates Applying to Law School

Calling all UCSC Graduates Applying to Law School
« on: January 31, 2006, 08:35:26 PM »
  As us University of California, Santa Cruz graduates know, there was a time when UCSC offered students the option of narrative evaluations in conjunction with, or instead of receiving letter grades. Students wishing to could opt for classes to be evaluated with detailed evaluations by our teachers as to our attendance and work in the course.  At our discretion, we could chose for others to be evaluated with grades.  UCSC required that a certain percentage of courses be taken for grades in order to receive a GPA. 

Unfortunately, I opted for narrative eval's for too many courses.  Hence, I do not have an official GPA.  Being young and short-sided, I never could forsee this being an issue until I decided to apply to law school. My narrative evaluations are excellent and the grades I received are as well. But, on the LSDAS report, my GPA is skewed and does not include the many courses I took using the narrative evaluation option.

My question is this...Have any of you UCSC students had this dilema, and what did you do? Will this ruin my chances of getting into law school? My LSAT score isn't great...Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

fainana

• :)
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Calling all UCSC Graduates Applying to Law School
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 02:51:11 AM »
I didn't go to UCSC, but I think your best bet would be to apply as is and add an addendum. The other option is better if it is possible- go to your school's registrar and explore the possibility of having those teachers read their evaluations and assign a retroactive grade for the class. Also, I think your chances depend on where you're trying to go for law school.

sporky

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 11:24:11 AM »
I went to UCSC, and I really don't think there's a clear answer with the evals thing.

For example, think about a reach school. They will probably push your file into the march reviews with the dregs of the app pool because your lsat is a little low. then when they get to that last phase of admissions, maybe they're exhausted, and the last thing they want to do is read 40 crappy write-ups from your professors. OR, maybe if it comes between you and some other nondescript guy with similar numbers, they'll pick you because they'll have a much better idea of your performace in school than just a GPA can give.

I really think it will go school by school, and really depend on what the school needs. if the school needs higher GPA/LSAT numbers, well, then you're going to have a hard time. but if the school is worried about attrition, then you might be in luck.

I did end up with a GPA but just barely (62% grades or something). So far I've gotten into a couple of my target range schools, so they couldn't have minded too much.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 04:29:38 PM »
Thanks a lot for your response! To be honest, I really didn't think there were any of us Slugs out there applying to law school.  Good luck to you!  :D