Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Opinions on Indiana- Indianapolis and/or Akron?  (Read 595 times)

BearGirl

Opinions on Indiana- Indianapolis and/or Akron?
« on: January 31, 2006, 06:11:47 PM »
So far, these two schools are in the lead, though I am waiting on a few more schools.  I was wondering if anybody had any opinions on these two schools.  I have not yet visited either either school, and hope to get out there in the next month or so. 

On one hand, Indianapolis has an awesome healthcare law program (in the top 10), so I am drawn to that.  The price is a little steep though, as I am out of state.

The major advantage I see with Akron so far is that in-state tuition is around 13K, which is really awesome.  But they don't have the healtcare law program that Indianapolis has, so I don't know.

It's early, but does anyone have any opinions?

BearGirl

Re: Opinions on Indiana- Indianapolis and/or Akron?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 06:22:43 PM »
Just to add on to the original post:

Do you think Akron is going to be able to break into the second tier any time soon? 

Similarly, Indianapolis dropped from 63rd to 95th last year...Does anybody else know what this is about?

Though I don't care about rankings that much, I was just wondering about this...

Vannabunny

• LSD Obsessed
    • MSN Messenger - savannah_honey@hotmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:44:26 PM »
I don't know about the drop, but I think it depends on where you want to work. IU-I esp. with health care emphasis opesn you up to a lot of Indy jobs, as well as within other Indiana cities, but I don't gives you much leeway about moving from the IN-OH-ILL-KY area.
High Priestess of the P-Dub Club

talking dirty to vanna is like... like... hitting on the pope or someting

IU-B grad student, working in corporate America

BearGirl

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2006, 09:01:39 PM »
I am fine with staying in this area, so national reputation isn't a problem.  As long as it is respected within Ohio, Indiana, and Kentucky, I am set.  Thanks for your input!

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2006, 12:36:13 AM »
bump this post. I got a full ride to Akron (if maintain a 3.3) and accepted to IU Indy.

I'm not sure about Indiana's residency stance, they are a public school so if I become a resident, I will spend about 50k total on tuition.

I will definitely become an Ohio resident after 12 months so, if I don't get a 3.3, I will spend about 25k on tuition.

Indy went from 65th to 93rd to 77th. Their judge and lawyer/peers ratings on USNEWS are 3.1 and 2.6. Akron is 1.8 in both fields.

Where would you go? I am not sure if you can become an Indiana resident if your sole purpose there is to go to school. Can someone confirm? I will call them Monday and find out but I'd like to know now.

DCrell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2006, 12:39:31 AM »
You cannot become an Indiana resident that way. They require you to live in the state for a full uninterrupted year without attending school. There is not really a way to gain residency unless you were to just move to Indiana and not go to school for a year.

laurrk

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2006, 07:11:39 AM »
You cannot become an Indiana resident that way. They require you to live in the state for a full uninterrupted year without attending school. There is not really a way to gain residency unless you were to just move to Indiana and not go to school for a year.

That seems unfair. If you move to a state, and that state would require you to pay income taxes (potentially - not sure if Indiana has a state income tax) and register your car there, etc., you should get the benefit of in-state tuition.

That said, if you are interested in health law it sounds like Indianapolis is the way to go.

cultural_vacuum

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2006, 01:03:32 PM »
I would go to the school with the best reputation in it's region, if you can.

I'm pretty sure IU-INDY has a better rep in Indiana than Akron does in Ohio, but you should check on that.

What city in each state do you want to work in after graduation?

Do a search on martindale.com to see how many lawyers from each school are in the city you want to work in, in each schools' respective state.

Good luck with your decision.

DCrell

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2006, 01:16:23 PM »
It is unfair Laurrk, but sadly that is just the way they run it. What angers me is the fact that if I left the state to attend school else where they would consider my state residency lost. So, moving to Indiana for the expressed purpose of education does not grant you residency, however leaving the state for the sole purpose of education cause you to lose your residency. Hardly seems right, but oh well.

Sepatown

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2006, 03:10:16 PM »
It is unfair Laurrk, but sadly that is just the way they run it. What angers me is the fact that if I left the state to attend school else where they would consider my state residency lost. So, moving to Indiana for the expressed purpose of education does not grant you residency, however leaving the state for the sole purpose of education cause you to lose your residency. Hardly seems right, but oh well.
That's how I thought the laws were. I was about to ask what would happen if you were a IN resident and then left to attend school, do you lose your residency? You were already on the same track. Their laws are unfair.

Well, now it comes down to a question of money. Either pay 26,000ish/year to go to IU INDY or, at the very most, 24k total at Akron, maybe pay nothing at all. Akron places pretty well. I have their new numbers. They have a 96.1% placement rate after 9 months for the 2005 graduating class. Average salary $58,385. That's good enough for me.