Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Waitlisted at Columbia  (Read 13846 times)

knoroozi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Waitlisted at Columbia
« Reply #60 on: June 11, 2006, 02:13:30 PM »
Got it also, this Friday.  Live in Cali.

Would you go?  I thought you were set on UVA.  If you would go, how long do you plan to stay on the waitlist?

I will actually be most likely attending Chicago, where I got in off the wait list already.  Between Chicago and Columbia, I don't know, I think I would stick with Chicago, but given that I've already switched once, I may do so again...however, I really believe Chicago is an amazing school and the same advantages it has over Virginia, it has over Columbia.  Virginia is an incredible place to study law because of its students, location and atmosphere but I think Chicago is probably best for me given my lofty goals. 

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 11, 2006, 02:21:14 PM »
Got it also, this Friday.  Live in Cali.

Would you go?  I thought you were set on UVA.  If you would go, how long do you plan to stay on the waitlist?

I will actually be most likely attending Chicago, where I got in off the wait list already.  Between Chicago and Columbia, I don't know, I think I would stick with Chicago, but given that I've already switched once, I may do so again...however, I really believe Chicago is an amazing school and the same advantages it has over Virginia, it has over Columbia.  Virginia is an incredible place to study law because of its students, location and atmosphere but I think Chicago is probably best for me given my lofty goals. 

That is awesome; hope you end up getting that SCOTUS clerkship.  Have you withdrawn from UVA yet?
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

knoroozi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2006, 12:26:12 PM »
Will do all those administrative things today.  Thanks a lot for the SCOTUS well wishes.  That's very kind of you.  Obviously that is so far in the back of my mind right now, but its true that it would be an amazing experience.  My main focus right now is being able to keep up with all the work of 1L and grading on to law review.  We'll take it step by step after that :)  Good luck to you too!

Fenstrex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2006, 07:09:19 PM »
Dinged off the waitlist. Oh well.  :-\

defeatist

• Sr. Citizen
  • trust, but verify
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #64 on: June 12, 2006, 07:34:33 PM »
I got my 'we're continuing to string you along' letter today, dated June 9th. Nice watermark, by the way. Very classy. They mention the "next determination" as taking place in July, and classes as starting August 16th.

I'm beginning to respect NYU more and more for having the decency to ding me in April.

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 12, 2006, 07:35:50 PM »

Yep, me too.  Feels almost like getting thrown through a window, eh?  ;)
I must admit that I may have been infected with society's prejudices and predilections and attributed them to God . . . and that in years hence I may be seen as someone who was on the wrong side of history.  I don't believe such doubts make me a bad Christian.  I believe they make me human . . .

Reaching

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 12, 2006, 07:45:50 PM »
Will do all those administrative things today.  Thanks a lot for the SCOTUS well wishes.  That's very kind of you.  Obviously that is so far in the back of my mind right now, but its true that it would be an amazing experience.  My main focus right now is being able to keep up with all the work of 1L and grading on to law review.  We'll take it step by step after that :)  Good luck to you too!

It's my understanding that unlike at U.Va., you can't simply grade on to law review at Chicago. All law review positions are either based on a combination of grades and the writing competition or on the writing competition alone.

Fenstrex

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #67 on: June 12, 2006, 08:09:42 PM »

More like being dangled out of a window and then let go  :P

On a side note, didn't realize there were so many Chicagoans on the thread. What's up with this cold weather? It's the middle of June, for christssake!

ACK!

• Sr. Citizen
  • RESIST THE EARTHQUAKE! REUNITE GONDWANALAND!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 12, 2006, 08:37:36 PM »

It's my understanding that unlike at U.Va., you can't simply grade on to law review at Chicago. All law review positions are either based on a combination of grades and the writing competition or on the writing competition alone.

I'm pretty sure that Chicago does grade-on people to law review, but a good faith submission to the write-on portion is still required. As long as you donít blow it off, you're in if you have the grades.
U Chi '09

Alamo

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2006, 08:46:41 PM »

More like being dangled out of a window and then let go  :P

On a side note, didn't realize there were so many Chicagoans on the thread. What's up with this cold weather? It's the middle of June, for christssake!

Don't like the weather?

Just wait 10 minutes!

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAAA!

go cubs