Law School Discussion

NYU is lame

what?

• View Profile
NYU is lame
« on: January 30, 2006, 07:43:02 AM »
Lame in the sense of slow.  I submitted my application on October 27th, and I never received a complete notice.  I was beginning to get a little worried, so I called them this morning to find out, and the woman on the phone was rather rude and said that it didn't look like it was complete, but she couldn't tell me if anything was missing.  "We will contact you if we need anything from you," she said.  She felt it necessary to remind me that they receive nearly 8,000 applications, and that I need to be patient.

DOES IT REALLY TAKE 3+ MONTHS TO PROCESS AN APPLICATION?  I know that my LSAT is right at their lowest quartile, and it is a reach for me, but I feel like they must have just thrown my application in the trash.  What should I do?  I am considering just withdrawing my application.  Anybody else have this problem?

The Dread Pirate Roberts

• Back to my non-secret secret identity...
    • View Profile
Re: NYU is lame
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:51:47 AM »
Lame in the sense of slow.  I submitted my application on October 27th, and I never received a complete notice.  I was beginning to get a little worried, so I called them this morning to find out, and the woman on the phone was rather rude and said that it didn't look like it was complete.  She felt it necessary to remind me that they receive nearly 8,000 applications, and that I need to be patient.

DOES IT REALLY TAKE 3+ MONTHS TO PROCESS AN APPLICATION?  I know that my LSAT is right at their lowest quartile, and it is a reach for me, but seriously?  What should I do?  I am considering just withdrawing my application.

I work at a college.  And there are two things you should keep in mind. 

One is that the administrative people almost certainly get, at minimum, 20 calls per day from annoyed applicants who feel that whoever they're talking to is in control of the process and has no other job responsibilities.  Neither of these things are true.  I promise.  They have lots of other things to do, and it really would make their job better if applicants were a little more patient with the process, and would stop being snippy at them for things that aren't under their control.

The other is that the admissions office probably has little to nothing to do with any other office in the college.  There's really no major relationship between how the admissions office treats you and how the other offices will treat a student.

mto83

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 08:23:55 AM »
Odd. I got my completion notice via email yesterday, Sunday, 26 days after submission. They must of wanted to push me through quickly because I am an AUTO-DING.

practiceboy02

• Still misbehaving in law school
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:28:50 AM »
... or maybe they think you're hot

mto83

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:31:50 AM »
;D
... or maybe they think you're hot

LOL! I don't think they know that. If only could find my Halloween Costume...I would parade over there. 

petitschoque

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 09:50:03 AM »
NYU seems extreme.

I submitted my application on December 29 or 30th. I received an email notifying me I was complete on January 12th, and I received my acceptance by mail postmarked January 17th.

So the entire process from application to acceptance was little more than 2 weeks!

Yet there are others I've talked to who I have no advantage that I know of over that submitted their application mid-October, took forever to find out they were complete, and don't know if they are accepted/rejected yet.

It's weird.

nmb238

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 10:51:08 AM »
i gotta say im a big fan of the law school but the admissions office is pretty awful. this isnt the first negative story ive heard- the people working there seem to be incredibly rude and NewYorky about everything, refusing to answer questions and just being unfriendly in general. i dont get it.

i applied last week of november, went complete not two weeks later and havent heard a word since. so yeah random is one way to put it

~n

what?

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:16:42 AM »

I work at a college.  And there are two things you should keep in mind. 

One is that the administrative people almost certainly get, at minimum, 20 calls per day from annoyed applicants who feel that whoever they're talking to is in control of the process and has no other job responsibilities.  Neither of these things are true.  I promise.  They have lots of other things to do, and it really would make their job better if applicants were a little more patient with the process, and would stop being snippy at them for things that aren't under their control.

I think waiting three months to call and ask about the processing of my application -- not a decision -- is plenty patient.  I was not annoyed when I called, I simply asked if I could check if it was complete because I haven't heard anything.  She could see on her computer that they received my application on 10-27-05 and my LSDAS report on 11-10-05 yet couldn't tell me why I wasn't complete.  Even though that makes no sense at all to me, I wasn't the least bit snippy.

I think I have been patient.  I submitted my app to Georgetown at the same time, and Georgetown receives 2,000 more applications a year than NYU.  I was processed within two weeks and rejected in less than a month and a half.  It can be done!  A 3 month delay processing -- and again, I stress, *processing*, not reaching a decision -- is unnecessary ESPECIALLY when I applied early in the cycle.