Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Jobs for the summer before law scohol  (Read 2294 times)

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Jobs for the summer before law scohol
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2006, 11:13:35 AM »
I'm just annoyed because if my one job had let me out of my contract 2 weeks early (I was sitting and doing nothing the last 6 weeks), I could have at least gotten a teaching job to last me through May. Before the school year starts, schools will hire anyone off the street, but once the school year is in session they won't hire anyone for a month and then you have to have like 10 years of experience and be national board certified before they'll hire you.  They expect you to be a sub at $300 a week- are you kidding me? 

La_Mujer_de_Grecia

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2006, 11:22:53 AM »
Yikes - $300/wk subbing? Okay, my job pays SLIGHTLY higher than that...not much after taxes, but still...

That's really lame that they wouldn't let you out of your contract :(

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
I am not subbing- keep in mind that's only if school is all week, if not, then you make less.  They expect you to be happy to do this with no benefits if you can't get a full-time teaching job.  Like a said- I have a master's degree, there is no way I can't find something better.

lily06

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2006, 09:28:46 AM »
I am working VERY part-time for an oil company doing legal document research at local courthouses and title companies. So far it has only required about ~10 hrs/wk. (I have worked full-time for the company during summers.) Otherwise, I am reading a lot and hanging out with my husband before we both go back to school in the fall.

Kittyl30

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2006, 09:32:36 AM »
I guess I should start looking for something..Maybe an internship like last summer but for once in my life I dont care about prestige i just need $$!!! maybe I should just become a waitress (too bad i have zero experience doing that and prob wont get hired anymore)

but I willl begin the search..I am so damn lazy the LSAT tearcher route seems liek too few hours and I would perfer never to look at that test again
she says she's tired of life
everybody's tired of something..

RJR

« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2006, 10:22:16 AM »
#3 and #4 sound like good bets (although #1 sounds like a great idea, I probably wouldn't choose that if I had other options) 

Is doing #3 part time an option? Then you can add in #2 for a little extra money. 

i'm weighing my options for this summer. i essentially have four.

1) do nothing and relax.
2) work a part time job, like waiting tables or something.
3) unpaid internship with local public defender (read: something i really care about)
4) paid intership with a U.S. senator.

i can't decide...

#3 sounds the best, but depending on the Senator, #4 could be good too.

The Spanish Teacher

• It's been so long....
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2006, 11:43:45 AM »
after i got back from the peace corps last year i was substitute teaching for a while when a job opened as a spanish teacher at a middle school where i live.  i graduated with a degree in internatinal economics - teaching was definitely not what i saw myself doing. i decided to take the job anyway for the benefits and pretty laid back schedule. for the most part, it's been fun.  but the students are really starting to test my patience. fortunately, the gig ends in early june. i'll bus tables at a local restaurant for a bit, then i'll get married in late july and then i'll move out to DC. then the horror of 1L begins.
Attending GULC in Fall '06

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2006, 11:48:49 AM »
Subbing must pay better in your area than in mine, spanish teacher. I returned from teaching abroad as well and schools wanted me to sub until something opened up, but I just couldn't afford it for $60 a day.  It sucks because I know people in other areas that actually get decent pay subbing so I could have done it until a job opened up. 

tanner9585

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2006, 08:35:13 PM »
I'd encourage everyone to consider the BUNAC work abroad program.  I have only lived in a college town in Oklahoma and a large city in the UK, but I found that the opportunities for high-paying temp work even for someone without a degree were fairly good.  At the time I went, I was in the middle of my degree and made 6 pounds an hour (about $11), which was the highest paying job and only full time job I've had.

I did think I was treated fairly badly and looked down upon for attempting to work efficiently instead of spending most of my day socializing (the company was in the midst of layoffs and had about 2x as many employees as it needed-- I wrote my PS on this actually), but the experience was really worth it.

I would never work for that company again, but I may go back to the UK this summer and do temp work.  I really have no idea what I am going to do, but part of it depends on where I am going to law school next year and whether I think I need to stick around the US in order to deal with arranging loans and such.

Does anyone have any advice on how getting into a top law school could affect my summer employment prospects?  Any anectdotal success stories?

silva

• vc n ss
    • AOL Instant Messenger - donel1921
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2006, 08:30:30 PM »
does that Bunac work abroad program require any out of pocket costs? probably. Yea dude, I need to save money so i can't spend like 1000 bucks going to London for work. I still like the idea though.

I'm trying to find temporary legal work but it's taking too long. I'm desparate because I need to start saving money.  If I don't have anything by the middle of March I'm just gonna apply for whatever, TGIFridays or sumtin.
it's funny how money change a situation