Law School Discussion

do i have a chance...

xonkdt

• View Profile
do i have a chance...
« on: January 29, 2006, 07:39:24 PM »
Alright i really want to know from those who have been either practicing in the 170s or got a 170+on the real thing  whether i have a chance to do the same.

first two diags were terrible...150, 153 but since then i have taken 6 others...preptests: 7, 9,10,11,12, and 13 scoring 163, 158, 161, 161, 164, and 160 respectively. I have read both the LGB and LRB but will be reading them again soon. I usually get 0-2 wrong on games, and around 5 wrong on every other section. When i review the sections i always get the answer correct (quickly) on the second attempt, and I am never stumped as to why a right answer is right. I can always see the logic, and i think the ones i get wrong are due mostly to time constraints.

is this a perpetual plateau or is it merely a hurdle that can be overcome? I am very self-motivated and disciplined (i can turn into a hermit for 3 months if i need to)

so what do you guys think??

Re: do i have a chance...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 03:27:37 PM »
That depends...have you figured out why you're getting those questions wrong on the first try? Other than timing? i.e., is there a pattern to the errors? I would keep an error log to see if you can figure that out. If you can, your chances of climbing out of the low 160s would be better.

Otherwise I would suggest getting a Princeton Review tutor (rather than taking a class). There's probably just some little step you're missing that would make the difference, and a tutor could help you figure it out.

xonkdt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 06:23:41 PM »
the log is definitly something that i will be doing...thanks for the suggestion...and i will look into the tutor thing...are they really that good?

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 08:47:32 PM »
i think the tutors make a big difference. i took a 10-week PR course and about week 7, feeling extremely frustrated w/my scores (blind was 158,  following 4-5 ranged in low 160's), i arranged to have a private session w/one of our teachers. the little insights he gave me, esp on games, my problem area, were such a huge help! i've not scored below 172 since (knock on wood).

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:58:25 PM »
As the ther posters suggested, I would def. try something different (such as a tutor).  The general rule is you will test a few points lower on the actual lsat (because of nerves or whatever), so you need to get your score up to the 170s in practice tests, rather than hoping your score will go up on test day.

Barney

• 1L who should have better things to do
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 09:14:50 PM »
Xondkt- I have nothing constructive to add, but if it helps keep your spirits up, I practice tested about where you're at, and went up considerably on the real deal (not quite 170, but close).  Think positive, it definently can  be done.

xonkdt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:07:13 PM »
yah i still have until june and i will be taking all the preptests i can get...and i will make sure i reach and remain consistantly within the 170 range before the test...whatever it takes...thanks guys

AH

• but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 11:07:38 PM »
Good luck!

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 09:53:08 PM »
I definitely think a tutor can make a huge difference, because you get one-on-one attention with custom solutions for your weaknesses, and the best instructors work as tutors. It's a worthwhile investment, especially since a higher score can pay off in scholarship money. If the up-front cost is a hindrance, ask about a payment plan. I know that PR has one, but didn't check into the others.

oscarsonthepond

• mmm....bOOYA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 10:11:55 PM »
It's definitely possible to get in the 170s....you won't really be able to fully gauge where you're at imo until you take some more recent tests (ie last 2-3 years).  Getting a tutor would definitely help you....I would suggest taking lots of pratice tests, and always taking a lot of time to go over the ones you got wrong, why you got 'em wrong....what you're thinking was and why it was flawed....and remember it (or log it like mentioned above), cause you'll almost certainly see a pattern.

0-2 wrong on games is really good....but unfortunately the other sections are harder to improve than games are.  Also, the last few tests the curve has been a lot harder....if you're someone who consistently gets about the same raw score (ie 15 wrong) as opposed to the same scaled score (ie 160), then you'll almost certainly do worse at least you would have on oct 05 and dec 05, as those scales were much harder.  That's what I did anyways :)  I was consistently missing 8 or so on each test....on most that was a 174, once I got a 177.....I felt really confident taking it (dec 05), and did my usual 8 wrong...but it was only good for a 170.  That's why I say it's hard to gauge when you're taking tests that are from awhile back.

G/L