Law School Discussion

UMich student preview weekends

Re: UMich student preview weekends
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2006, 10:29:50 PM »
Arbor Brewing is your best bet for good Ann Arbor microbrew.  Grizzly Peak also makes some nice offerings.  Leopold Bros. is generally hit or miss, with more misses in my experience.  For one of the top beer shops around, hit up Bello Vino.  Ask for David or Brian...both guys are certified beer geeks. 

If you are really into beer and don't mind a 25 minute drive, head to Dexter for some fresh offerings from Jolly Pumpkin.

Nice.  I am quite the beer snob and am an amatuer brewer, so I'm eager to see what the change in scenery brings.  West Coast beer generall sucked, but I've taken a liking to many New england breweries, so I'm praying that I feel the same about what the midwest offers.

Awesome.  You'll find Ann Arbor to be an EXTREMELY mature beer market.  Bello Vino has hundreds of beers, with a full range of Belgians.  Also, Bell's makes some phenomenal stuff.  Jolly Pumpkin is an old fashioned Belgian Farmhouse style brewery that is new within the last 2 years.  He just started brewing some lambics that will be ready in about 2 years.  He does everything in open fermenters.  Basically, Michigan is one of the best states in the country for craft brews.

Also, Three Floyds, an excellent Indiana brewery, is available.  As is Great Lakes out of Cleveland and Victory out of Philadelphia.  You won't be disappointed at all with the Ann Arbor beer community.

The brewers guild in town is also worth a look.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2006, 10:45:39 PM »
Arbor Brewing is your best bet for good Ann Arbor microbrew.  Grizzly Peak also makes some nice offerings.  Leopold Bros. is generally hit or miss, with more misses in my experience.  For one of the top beer shops around, hit up Bello Vino.  Ask for David or Brian...both guys are certified beer geeks. 

If you are really into beer and don't mind a 25 minute drive, head to Dexter for some fresh offerings from Jolly Pumpkin.

Nice.  I am quite the beer snob and am an amatuer brewer, so I'm eager to see what the change in scenery brings.  West Coast beer generall sucked, but I've taken a liking to many New england breweries, so I'm praying that I feel the same about what the midwest offers.

Awesome.  You'll find Ann Arbor to be an EXTREMELY mature beer market.  Bello Vino has hundreds of beers, with a full range of Belgians.  Also, Bell's makes some phenomenal stuff.  Jolly Pumpkin is an old fashioned Belgian Farmhouse style brewery that is new within the last 2 years.  He just started brewing some lambics that will be ready in about 2 years.  He does everything in open fermenters.  Basically, Michigan is one of the best states in the country for craft brews.

Also, Three Floyds, an excellent Indiana brewery, is available.  As is Great Lakes out of Cleveland and Victory out of Philadelphia.  You won't be disappointed at all with the Ann Arbor beer community.

The brewers guild in town is also worth a look.

Just when I thought Michigan couldn't get any better...

I definitely agree with your call on Victory Brewing.  Both Golden Monkey and Hop Devil are truly excellent.

Thanks for the help!

Sure thing.  Michigan rocks.  Maybe I'll see you there next year if I decide I want to transfer and if Michigan decides they want me!

jeb240

« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2006, 05:47:30 AM »
I'll be at the first one.  Flying back on Sat afternoon.  Very excited.  It'll be my first time anywhere near the midwest.   :D

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2006, 01:19:26 PM »
Basically, Michigan is one of the best states in the country for craft brews.

There is also a larger microbrewery, Bell's, whose beer you should be able get anywhere in the Lower Peninsula.  It's a great compromise: excellent beer and easy to find.

« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2006, 01:34:50 PM »
has anyone who registered gotten any additional info yet? I'm waiting for more info on stuff like lodging before i book tickets. All i've gotten so far is the auto-email confirmation.

« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2006, 01:37:48 PM »
I haven't gotten any more information, but am planning on attending the first preview weekend. Also trying to decide on whether I should stay Saturday night. It seems like most folks aren't planning on it? I'm taking a redeye out from SF on Wednesday night so I hope I'm coherent on Thursday!  :D

PS: Very excited to check out these breweries people are mentioning. We should do a little LSD gathering at one of them!

« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2006, 03:49:02 PM »
I haven't gotten any more information, but am planning on attending the first preview weekend. Also trying to decide on whether I should stay Saturday night. It seems like most folks aren't planning on it? I'm taking a redeye out from SF on Wednesday night so I hope I'm coherent on Thursday!  :D

PS: Very excited to check out these breweries people are mentioning. We should do a little LSD gathering at one of them!

I think the Sturday night is for people like myself who are driving.  I have a 12-hour drive, so if I left at 3pm after attending events all morning, I'd probably drive myself into a ditch somewhere in Canada.  Instead, I'll get to tour the town that afternoon, get an extra night of sleep, and then leave refreshed the next day. 

Oh, and I'll definitely meet anyone who is interested at a pub.  Too bad you are all first-weekend folks.

FYI, Ashleys's has the best beer selection for a bar in Ann Arbor.  Some unique stuff on tap, usually a hand pull, trappists, etc.

!!

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2006, 04:31:13 PM »
Yeah, I'm gonna be there the first weekend if anyone wants to hit up a bar.  I'm probably not going to stay Saturday night, as I live an hour from Ann Arbor... depends whether I feel like getting trashed on Saturday.

kuokuo

• Bear Territory
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2006, 05:00:30 PM »
I know I might be an idiot...but what username and password do I use for the Preview website to register?  I've been looking at all my correspondence from Michigan and haven't seen a mention of an admitted students password or username. Perhaps I misplaced the letter? 

jeb240

« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2006, 06:10:42 PM »
Because they didn't put it in a letter.  They put it on the postcard that was included in the first packet.

Which isn't immediately clear and something I almost threw away.