Law School Discussion

Dell 700m vs. M140

Re: Dell 700m vs. M140
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2006, 02:46:29 PM »
well, having used the 700m, the 600m and based on what i've read on the m140, i would personally put the 700m at the bottom of my list personally...this is based on price, the lcd, and battery life...everything else on these laptops to me are fairly equal...

Just curious, but where can you find a laptop that has a battery option that gives you more than 5 hours?

more than 5 hours are fairly rare...4-5 hours is pretty good already...but if you're hell bent on 5+, i THINK (and i MEAN that) your best odds may be with IBM...check cnet editor reviews as they always check battery life

That's what I thought.  That's why I did not understand when you said the 700m lacked battery life.  The battery on mine gets a solid 4-5 hours.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2006, 02:50:56 PM »
speaking of batteries, anyone know how long they last before you have to replace them? I've gone through two lithium ions on my Thinkpad, which kinda irritates me (they supposed have a certain number of charge times before dying). 

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2006, 03:40:49 PM »
speaking of batteries, anyone know how long they last before you have to replace them? I've gone through two lithium ions on my Thinkpad, which kinda irritates me (they supposed have a certain number of charge times before dying). 

I've had my 700m for a year and the battery is still going strong.  I also purchased an extra one last year when I bought the laptop.

upNdown

• My favorite bike - cheap, ugly, heavy, and fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2006, 07:18:13 AM »
I bought a Dell 600m recently and I haven't been initially impressed by the battery life - I'm already thinking about buying an extra battery.  But I haven't used it enough to give it a fair review.  I've often heard that rechargable batteries take a bunch of charge cycles to reach their full potential, so I may not be there yet.

I did a bunch of research on these three machines and would have gone with the M140 if price wasn't a factor.  But this is the new model and Dell isn't discounting it heavily.  I ended up getting my 600m (with pentium m) for under $900 and that includes a 4 year onsite warranty with accidental protection.  I couldn't configure a comparable M140 for under $1200.  I couldn't ingore the price difference, but if you it isn't a problem for you, the M140 is a much better machine.  It is overkill, the 600m and the 700m will do everything you'd need to do as a law school student, but then again, they were blowing out celerons at Walmart for about $300 around Christmas that would do everything you'd need to do too.  So, as with most things, it is a matter of how much you want to spend.     

edit: part of the problem is that, for whatever reason, Dell doesn't discount the M140's very much.  If you pay attention to internet bargain boards, you'll find Dell discounts to be numerous.  So numberous, in fact, that it's tough to know when you're getting a real good deal.  But there don't seem to ever be any decent discounts on the M140.