harold: what happened to my car?
nph: i left some loves stains in the back seat

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=snobord99

Manwithaplan

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: miami v san diego
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 11:46:34 PM »
if you choose a school i wouldnt choose it by usnwr rankings. the rankings at the bottom half of the 2nd tier always fluctuate heavily. the 2 schools will jump around and switch places in the 60-80 band everyyear
USD Law grad

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 12:08:49 AM »
Did you get money from either? Where would you rather end up? I don't really know what SD's reputation is, but Miami's reputation is strong throughout South Florida and you can probably get jobs in the rest of Florida if you do well. The cost of living is not too high, either. Just keep in mind that Miami is not the Miami you see on TV- it is not all South Beach. I've lived in Florida all my life and rarely meet anyone who lives in Miami and actually likes it.  Personally, I would not want to live there unless I was fluent in Spanish.

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 01:39:27 AM »
this is the case of the university of miami v the university of san diego...let's hear arguments for both sides...i'm more or less stuck on the issue since i see them as pretty much the same thing just on different sides of the country...

If I get into San Diego, I won't think twice about sending them my $300.  San Diego has an awesome reputation in California.  If you do well in USD, your options are limitless.  If you want a big law job, they're open to you throughout CA.  If you want judicial clerkships, you got them at your fingertips (in 2004, 40% of the students had judicial clerkships), if you want to end up teaching law you can - W&M has an instructor from USD (The rest are from top 5 calibur schools). 

However, if you perform average, then you may have difficulty landing a job.  But, this is also the case with Miami.  My main reason for placing USD over UM is the reputation - but also the weather/environment.  The city is neat and bustling and the campus is gorgeous.  Miami has those 120 degree days and areas you may not want to find yourself in.  Also, there is no Los Angeles 2 hours away and no Vegas 5 hours away.  Ahh... Vegas.         
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 08:38:27 AM »
Snowbord, Miami NEVER gets as hot as Ivan claims it does.  In fact, Miami never even gets into the 100s and is milder than other places in Florida because of the coastal breezes. That said, a lot of people think they'll like Miami and end up hating it because it's not what they envisioned. You should definitely visit and see what you think before making a decision.  On the bright side, UM has the highest average salary of any Florida school because a lot of the better firms are in South Florida.

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:19:16 AM »
Snowbord, Miami NEVER gets as hot as Ivan claims it does.  In fact, Miami never even gets into the 100s and is milder than other places in Florida because of the coastal breezes.

Wow, you are right!
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USFL0316&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared
It seems like the highest it gets is 87 and the lowest is 65.  That's just going to make my application process that much easier to bear.  Thanks!!

PS - I just checked San Diego's weather stats and actually the weather is considerably worse there. During half the year, the average highs are in the 60s and in the other half of the year, they only get to the 70s.  Plus, last time I visited, the beach was unbearbly cold and I heard that it stays like that all year round.  Surfers still seem to love it, though.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USCA0982&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

Actual 1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 10:29:13 AM »
This one is easy: if you want to work in Cali, you go to SD.  If you want to work in Florida, you go to Miami.  Both are solid regional schools.  While you could go to Miami and then get your first job back in Cali, it will take a LOT of work on your part to make that happen.

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 10:48:27 AM »
I dont know about Miami, but I heard Florida State has many recruiters from Los Angeles and NYC.  Why haven't you considered FSU, snobord?  If you can attain residency there after one year, tuition is a mere $7G!!!! the next two years. 

queencruella

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2006, 10:52:10 AM »
Snowbord, Miami NEVER gets as hot as Ivan claims it does.  In fact, Miami never even gets into the 100s and is milder than other places in Florida because of the coastal breezes.

Wow, you are right!
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USFL0316&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared
It seems like the highest it gets is 87 and the lowest is 65.  That's just going to make my application process that much easier to bear.  Thanks!!

PS - I just checked San Diego's weather stats and actually the weather is considerably worse there. During half the year, the average highs are in the 60s and in the other half of the year, they only get to the 70s.  Plus, last time I visited, the beach was unbearbly cold and I heard that it stays like that all year round.  Surfers still seem to love it, though.
http://www.weather.com/activities/other/other/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=USCA0982&from=36hr_bottomnav_undeclared

I live in Central Florida and went to the beach on New Year's Day. It was too cold for me to swim, but a lot of people here for the bowl games were swimming. Miami is considerably warmer in winter, so you could probably go in the water year round, which can't really be said for SD. The beaches in Florida are generally quite nice. Although Miami proper isn't that great, the rest the cities in South Florida are pretty nice.

FSU is $300/hour now, so it's about $9000 a year. FSU and UF are your best bets if you want to work out of state, but you'll probably need to finish in the top 25% of the class. FSU is really trying to improve in the rankings, so they may be pushing to get more national recruiters in the future.

cayberr

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2006, 02:06:42 PM »

Ivan, it's not the temperature that makes it unbearable hot.  It's the humidity that kills, suffocatingly hot and sticky.  I think after you've been in Miami for a year, you'll look toward SD's 60s/70s with jealousy.  :)