Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: George Washington  (Read 1596 times)

krepsm

• Place Personal Text Here
    • View Profile
George Washington
« on: December 14, 2003, 03:54:49 AM »
It looks like I will most likely be headed to GW next fall, and I was wondering if anyone could give me suggestions/advice on where to live.  There are two of us and safety is important.  
Thanks

fungoking

• Play me some Buck Owens!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:George Washington
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003, 02:12:28 PM »
You may want to look into the Apartment complexes around the GW campus.  One that comes to mind is the Statesman on F Street, like 2 blocks from the law school.  Prices are RELATIVELY low and the immeidate area around GW is pretty safe--its all college kids and offices that shut down at 6.

I don't know if cost is an issue.  There's alittle pocket between Pennsylvania Ave and DuPont Cirlce where the nieghborhood is upscale and safe, and not too far from the law school.  Maybe a 20 minute walk.  

You really need to take a scouting trip if possible, because neighborhoods are checkerboardish--sorta like New Orleans--you go from the Ritz to the Shitz in the space of one or two blocks.

I would recommend starting your search in the Foggy Bottom area, and looking in Rosslyn, Arlington, and Alexandria, where the neighborhoods are good and close to the Blue/Orange line.

I only did a year at GW, so im sure there are other pockets of town that are close and safe.  Foggy Bottom and N. Virginia are a good place to start looking, tho.

Congrats on getting in.

macaux

• View Profile
Re: George Washington
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2004, 12:24:01 AM »
If you are interested in off-campus housing, then you might take a look at the housing page on Georgetown's web site: (http://www.law.georgetown.edu/reslife/offcampus). 

They offer a survey of rent prices in tons of DC, MD, and VA neighborhoods, and have some good info on what different areas offer. 

Pub. Interest gal

• 3.8gpa / 162 LSAT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2004, 02:22:42 PM »
As someone who currently works just two blocks from GW, but lives out in the Virginia suburbs that would be my suggestion.  For a two bedroom in any of the decent areas you will pay between $1000-$2000 PER PERSON.  I live out in the Arlington area and absolutely love it.  My roommate and I an apartment for a total of $1200 that is just two blocks from Courthouse metro (which is only two stops from GW). 
I would STRONGLY recommend taking a look at a map and looking at apartments in the Arlington and Alexandria area that are walking distance to the metro.  Parking in DC is a nightmare and if you live in DC you will be incredibly dependent on the metro system that can run every 20-30 minutes after 9pm (the exact time you will be studying late night in the library).

Take a look at Courthouse, Ballston, Clarendon and Rosslyn.  Tons of 23-35 years olds, virtually no bad neighborhoods, bars, shopping, grocery stores are all within walking distance.
A great place to look is Craigslist.org

Good luck

stillwaiting

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2004, 01:06:08 AM »
Congrats!!! It is great to know where you are going already. Just to agree with the previous suggestion, I recommend looking at surrounding virginia areas as well, foggy bottom is conviniently located right at the edge of the virginia/dc metro border, which makes the commute very easy. public transportation is definately the way to go in dc. I spent two summers interning there (lived in foggy bottom) and alot of the law students lived in the areas between Ballston and Courthouse--reasonably priced apartments for dc and also very nice ones. If youd rather live on gw campus... take a look at columbia plaza apartments... its a cute complex and the rooms are nice. I am not sure about the prices though--my summer rent was around 900 a month. So thats something to consider also. the gw newspaper has listings of apartment leases and stuff so maybe go to their website for some more suggestions. anyway, not sure how helpful that is...good luck with your apartment search and congrats!!!

ccptexas

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2004, 04:20:35 PM »
if you guys are strongly interested in a safe place to live, i suggest georgetown.  you should check out craig's list, though, and see what's available.  i think it is best, if you can find a group of four to six people, to consider a townhouse. 

good luck!

Miltra

• Sr. Citizen
  • Grrrr! I am a she beast.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2004, 10:13:32 AM »
Why would someone want to commute from Virginia when they could live in the city for cheaper AND more convenient?  The costs of communiting in time, money and hassle are really high, especially on the blue/orange line.  It's delayed, crowded and expensive during rush hour. Also, if you are like any law student I have heard of, you will be at the library or studying until the wee hours.  Would you then want to commute an hour back home?  I bet not.
I currently live in Adams Morgan--a hip/trendy area of DC--20 min walk to GW or a 10 min bus ride, neither of which is more than 1.20 each way.  My rent is 900 (utilities included) for a huge one bedroom by the park and metro.  You could never get that sort of convenience or environment in VA. 
My advice?  Live in the city while you are still young!  You have your whole life to live the burbs and hang out with soccer moms.

Pub. Interest gal

• 3.8gpa / 162 LSAT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 12:30:30 PM »
I have to say... I strongly disagree with Miltra.  Living in Adams Morgan how do you know anything about those of us who do indeed commute in on the Orange/Blue line and who "live in the burbs".  Congrats on finding a nice cheap apartment in such a trendly area, but I have had numerous friends who haven't had that luck.  If those people searching for housing have quite a bit of time and money available to come down to DC and search, then great- but this kind of find is rare.

In general, efficencies and studios in DC start at about $1000 and go up steeply from there.  You can find great apartments in arlington for MUCH cheaper. Singles starting at $700, two bedrooms starting at $1000.  Craigslist.org is a great place to look. The Arlington neighborhoods of Rosslyn, Claredon, Ballston and Courthouse are all packed with young 23-35 year olds, fun bars (which are much cheaper than the DC options) and everything you could want. I, for one, have seen less soccer moms in Arlington than I have downtown! Furthermore,  living in Courthouse, my commute is 15 minutes door to door (traveling in a nice heated or airconditioned metro).  I certainly consider that better than a freezing cold 20 minutes walk.  Any problems of late hours where the metro isn't running would effect the bus routes in DC as well. So while I respect Miltra's desire to live in the city, for those of you heading to GW, don't discount the Arlington area as a cheaper while equally  young fun option to living in the heart of the city.