Law School Discussion

UGA merit money

eli250

Re: UGA merit money
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2006, 07:31:29 PM »
Good luck to all; I visited today and was pretty impressed.  Decent facilities, very nice town.  I visited a class and it didn't seem nearly as intimidating as I thought it would be.  Then again, it was only one class.  By the way, I have a few friends who went to Georgia and they warned me when I first applied that it may be the last school I would get a decision from.

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2006, 05:43:18 AM »
Dont go to Mercer- Macon is a horrible, boring town and Mercer is virtually in its ghetto. I grew up right outside of Macon. You'll just be making lots of trips to Atlanta for shopping, eating, entertainment, etc. Uh, plus it's Baptist in the buckle of the Bible belt... Sounds like my definition of hell...

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2006, 09:10:15 AM »
Uh, plus it's Baptist in the buckle of the Bible belt... Sounds like my definition of hell...

if you have a problem with the Bible belt or Baptists, you're going to have a problem with the entire state of GA.  Sure, some areas will be more liberal than others, but even downtown Atlanta has its fair # of protestant churches and churchgoers, many of which/whom are Baptist...

and on that note, I've been to Macon, and I wasn't swarmed with people inviting me to church there any more than I was in Atlanta or Athens.  (as in, it never once happened in any of those cities)

HTH

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2006, 09:25:01 AM »
bleedsblue, hate to say it, but you're dead wrong-- athens (UGA) and intown atlanta (emory, georgia state) are worlds apart from macon, GA...

SplitFinger

• I'm a real pretend lawyer now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2006, 09:43:19 AM »
Dont go to Mercer- Macon is a horrible, boring town and Mercer is virtually in its ghetto. I grew up right outside of Macon. You'll just be making lots of trips to Atlanta for shopping, eating, entertainment, etc. Uh, plus it's Baptist in the buckle of the Bible belt... Sounds like my definition of hell...

Sounds exactly like the town I grew up in.  :)

Then again, I couldn't get out of there fast enough when I went away to school, but I think pretty much everyone feels that way at that age.

I'll be in Atlanta with my wife every weekend anyway, so I'll never be around for church in Macon. 

« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2006, 04:12:35 PM »
As far as the ghetto goes, Athens and Atlanta have them just as bad.  When I went to UGA to visit, I was in Athens for a total of 5 minutes before a bum hit me up for change. Macon IS a pretty boring place to be, if you are in undergrad.  If you are a law student, I don't know, at least you don't have to put up with the thousands of drunk undergrads doing stupid sh*t. And do you really need 30 bars to go to on nights when you should probably be studying.  Anyway, Macon isn't completely dead, there is stuff to do and places to go and it is probably a pretty good place to be if you are trying to do well in law school.

« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2006, 05:17:04 PM »
bleedsblue, hate to say it, but you're dead wrong-- athens (UGA) and intown atlanta (emory, georgia state) are worlds apart from macon, GA...

Considering that I lived in an Atlanta suburb for 18 years, spent many weekends in Athens with high school buddies that went to UGA, and made at least a few trips to Macon, I'm gonna have to say that my own experience probably doesn't lie.  I'm not saying Macon is as fun or hip as Atlanta or Athens, I'm just saying that for the guy that said it was extremely religious, you're no more likely to be accosted by someone trying to convert you in Macon than you are in any other "Bible belt" town.  That was my experience, at the very least.

EDIT: let me point out that I was exaggerating when I said they are no different at all; but to think that whatever tiny difference there may be would have any influence at all on your daily life probably taking it too far. 

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2006, 02:23:23 PM »
trust me dude, Mercer is a Baptist school. If  you go there you WILL be accosted by Christians trying to convert you. I was raised outside Macon, and I got a full ride to undergrad I turned down because of their strong religious affiliation. If you happen to be Christian and like being surrounded by that, then it will be your bag. Not to bash on Mercer forever, but Southerners take their religion seriously...

eli250

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2006, 03:02:08 PM »
If you are in GA and want to avoid the bible belt, Emory is the school for you.  I live near Emory now and the people here seem almost as liberal as those in upstate New York (my previous home).  As for Macon, I haven't dared go there, but I'm probably headed to UGA and kind of scared that Athens will be a little too southern for me.
How bad could it be though; their fight song is Battle Hymn of the Republic.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006, 03:35:54 PM »
trust me dude, Mercer is a Baptist school. If  you go there you WILL be accosted by Christians trying to convert you. I was raised outside Macon, and I got a full ride to undergrad I turned down because of their strong religious affiliation. If you happen to be Christian and like being surrounded by that, then it will be your bag. Not to bash on Mercer forever, but Southerners take their religion seriously...

Mercer is a Baptist school? oh, i had no idea.  I was speaking about MACON in general when I said that when I was there i didn't have anybody approach me.  I've never spent any time on Mercer's actual campus, but given that it is actually a religiously affiliated school, then I could see that yeah it probably would affect your day to day life. hah. i stand corrected.