Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: community college+ transfer VS. 4 year univ.  (Read 3176 times)

kfine

• View Profile
    • Email
community college+ transfer VS. 4 year univ.
« on: January 29, 2006, 05:45:44 PM »
Hi,

My state has a program called "running start". Basically, you can go to college your Junior and Senior years of Highschool and finish 2 years of community college. It lets me get an A.A degree (associates degree).

Is it a disadvantage to get two years done in community college (get a 4.0) then transfer to a good undergrad?

Here are my choices for the "AA degree"
http://www.greenriver.edu/catalog/ProgramsOfStudy/Default.htm
Out of these offers, which do you recommend for law (which AA degree)

My friend went here and earned his "Paralegal AA degree" and got a job here while he was earning it. I want to work in his law office.. and I would have to start earning the paralegal AA degree in order for them to give me the paying job.
Is it worth it? I want to get some law experience..

sorry for the ugly format

I'm excited to hear what you all think.

CRDFNSKY

• NEEERDSSS!!!
    • View Profile
Re: community college+ transfer VS. 4 year univ.
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2006, 11:11:49 PM »
It would be even better if you could put those college credits towards a Bachelors instead of an AA so you could finish college earlier. I don't think credits from a completed degree can be put towards another degree.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2006, 11:59:08 PM »
My school has a program where if you attend a CC and get an AA you are guarenteed to start college as a junior (we are T1).

In my unprofessional opinion, I don't think it'll hurt you at all.  In fact, it will probably make an interesting addition to your app to include a statement along the lines of "I had the opportunity to get a headstart on higher education and wanted to save money by attending a cc for two years, etc. etc." (I have several friends who did that and are now in competitive programs).  Working as a paralegal will give you great experience and can help pay for your education!

I would def. check out the schools you want to go to though and talk with them about this.  it would suck to complete your AA then find out from your top choice college that they won't take the credits.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

ouch

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 12:06:06 AM »
I did three years C.C....some high school and graduated from U. C. Berkeley debt free.  If you can handle not going away to school there are advantages.

70 of my 120 units for graduation came from the J.C.

kfine

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2006, 03:43:06 AM »
I have done some research and an A.A degree counts towards a B.A (which is the only prereq for Law school as I understand)

After you get your A.A at a C.C you transfer to a univ for another two years and a B.A

The B.A allows you to go to law school

Am I correct?

It says that the A.A "transfers as a package" meaning that it counts as two full years.

Many have said C.C doesn't fully prepare you for Univ / law school.

Do you agree/disagree?

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2006, 10:07:35 AM »
kfine:  It depends on the rigors of your program.  If you take the most challenging classes they offer and do the work, then you should be prepared.  You are correct about the order (you can take your AA to a university, if they approve it, get a BA and the BA allows you to apply to ls).

As sno said, this does not speak to the kind of college experience you will have.  If you were really looking forward to the dorm life aspect of college and have some money to spare, then this may not be for you, but if you are intent on graduating early and reducing debt, then it is more likely to be the option for you.
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

magnumalv

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2006, 11:26:44 AM »
I actually did this--received my A.A. the same month I was supposed to get my high school diploma. Transferred to a 4-year as a junior with a 4.0. Graduated with a B.A. as valedictorian.

I absolutely recommend it. The last 2 years of high school (and first 2 of undergrad) are a joke, really. And the people you meet at a community college and then a 4-yr UG are a vast improvement over the homogeny of high school--it's all about the diversity, man. You also have the ability to take semesters off for internships and travel and still graduate on time. Also, the CC experience gives you a chance to show your true college ability (just in case your high school record isn't spectacular... I was a good student in high school, but I was a GREAT college student, which overshadows any high school mediocrity).

And the lower tuition is a nice plus, too. I didn't have to pay for anything except books for my A.A. since I was still in high school, then I was in-state for my UG.

However, let me add this caveat--you need to have the discipline to take advantage of your resources. Yes, you can go to community college and not learn or accomplish anything and it won't help your record at all... But don't blame it on the school. If you pursue all your opportunities, you can get an incredible education whereever you go. Although my CC wasn't as "prestigious" as my UG, I had some amazing profs there who gave me the foundation for a high-caliber UG education... so I think more of it depends on your willingness to work hard and MAKE yourself a good student, rather than where you go.

ElectricalStorm

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2006, 10:57:10 AM »
I've known several people that have done this route and it has worked out pretty well for them. Usually the public universities (think its policy at all the VA publics, not just W&M) are more likely to be open to the automatic junior status for an AA.

The only disadvantage I can think of by getting your AA in High School then heading on to University, is that if you graduate those two years early, LS may wonder if you are mature enough at the age of 19/20 to start your legal studies. On the other hand, it does give you a nice opportunity to do two years of work before applying, take an additional year at the institution to take classes you may be interested in, study abroad, or even get a masters.

As for AAs doing worse, some have made the case that those who transfer with their AA better appreciate their time at the University and may do better.

UT 1L

bruin

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2006, 02:08:06 AM »
Hi,

My state has a program called "running start". Basically, you can go to college your Junior and Senior years of Highschool and finish 2 years of community college. It lets me get an A.A degree (associates degree).

Is it a disadvantage to get two years done in community college (get a 4.0) then transfer to a good undergrad?

I did it. Worked for me, with significantly less than a 4.0.
Attending UVa
Click below for more info
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=bruin04
Come on, I know you want to click me.

YeShallBeGods

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2006, 01:26:36 PM »
Fear not, going the community college route can be done!

I was homeschooled entirely before law school, went to community college for two years, transferred, and am headed to a T14 this fall (Virginia)... considering the amount of money I saved by doing the community college path and the social benefits it offered (the one thing that community colleges as a whole have in spades is diversity--your classmates really do range from age 15 to age 65), I think it is a very viable course of action.