Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: If you use the Silent Timer, Please Read!  (Read 440 times)

gvilla13

• View Profile
    • Email
If you use the Silent Timer, Please Read!
« on: January 29, 2006, 11:31:13 AM »
I don't know how many other people use this, but it is a great tool for preparing for the LSAT and you can get it www.silenttimer.com

But the reason for this topic is because I received two emails recently from someone at the silent timer and I have copied and pasted both of them below.

1st Email

After trying to obtain official approval for The Silent Timer, we have just received a letter from LSAC threatening to disallow our product on future administrations of the LSAT, including the upcoming February test.  Although it has not been "officially approved" in the past, students have been able to use it without any problems.  Due to the Timer's increasing popularity, LSAC has become more cautious of our product, stating that The Silent Timer gives students an unfair test-taking advantage.

The bad news, of course, is that you cannot use your timer on test day.  Although there is a chance that some proctors may allow it (you can bring it on test day and see), we urge you to bring a back-up timer or watch to your test. Simple kitchen timers can be purchased at Wal-Mart, Target, or your grocery store, and you can remove the sound yourself (we can help you with this). To help curb the cost of the additional timer, we will reimburse you up to $6 for any timer purchased between now and February 4. Go to our web site for more details.

The good news is that LSAC's warning is another indicator that The Silent Timer can give you a competitive edge over other test takers when you use it in practice to improve your pacing skills.

We are working hard to overturn this decision, and had we heard earlier, we would have certainly advised you sooner.

I will email you again if anything changes, and you can also check our web site for updates.

Thank you for your understanding and good luck on your test.

Second Email

Today we received an email that said that the decision to disallow the Silent Timer had unknown to us - been put into place in March 2005. Since that time, three LSATs have passed, with only a handful of cases where the Silent Timer was disallowed.

Although it now appears less likely that your proctor will disallow use of your Silent Timer, we urge you to bring a back-up timer or watch to your test. And to do our part, we would like to offer to reimburse you for a suitable back-up timer purchased between now and February 4. Click here for details.

Best of luck next weekend!

What does everyone think about this? Does the LSAC have the right to disallow use of the Silent Timer? In my opinion, I think that the LSAC has no right to disallow it.  The product is available for all students to purchase.  Yes, it does cost $30 and some people may not be able to afford it.  But then by the same logic, shouldn't prep courses & private tutors be disallowed too?

I'm anxious to hear what people on both sides of the issue think.

nukelaw

• Sr. Citizen
  • Get your eagle on
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jimmydahat
    • View Profile
Re: If you use the Silent Timer, Please Read!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 01:50:28 PM »
Anyone notice that LSD is still allowing advertisements for this thing post-LSAC ban?

C'mon Andrew, time to kick into compliance!  ;)

mikey_10

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 03:09:04 PM »
The basic silent timer is allowed - they are referring to the deluxe silent timer with question counters and calculations, which should not be allowed as it performs more than mere timing ability
It shouldn't have taken a letter from LSAC for the powerscore group to figure that out.
p.s. - the deluxe timer has a light on it, which has always been prohibited.

Nowhere Man

• Sr. Citizen
  • You know who is a Blackstar? Who? Me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2006, 03:57:21 PM »
But when you talk about destruction, don't you know that you can count me out, in!