Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Any ideas on some safeties/backups?  (Read 287 times)

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Any ideas on some safeties/backups?
« on: January 28, 2006, 03:24:59 AM »
I don't want completely crappy schools because I think I will get into at least 1 school from my list (check LSN) and I think I'd be pretty happy at any of those schools except maybe one (SW). 

I wanted to look for more schools that I'd still be fairly happy attending, or at least is a decent backup just-in-case (probably bottom Tier 2/top Tier 3).  I would prefer them in Cali but I think I got all the ones that I've got a decent shot for that are also decent schools, I want to look at some more on the West Coast.

If you have any ideas let me know, I'm also interested in fee waivers (broke) and so I am able to get them through most schools by sending my financial aid info, but if they are easy to get fee waivers from I'm def. interested.

jharris

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any ideas on some safeties/backups?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2006, 03:50:35 AM »
You seem to have covered most of the schools in your range in CA... just keep in mind that once you get outside of Tier 1 (specifically T14) law schools become increasingly regional, so if your interest is in living/practicing in CA I wouldn't look too hard at out of state Tier 2/3 schools. 

One safety that you may want to consider is Chapman University in Orange County--you may even get some $$$.  From what I've heard it places pretty well in Southern California (specifically Orange County), and although it has only been around since 1995 (still is ABA approved) it seems to be moving up pretty quick.

Good luck. 

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 04:21:24 AM »
You seem to have covered most of the schools in your range in CA... just keep in mind that once you get outside of Tier 1 (specifically T14) law schools become increasingly regional, so if your interest is in living/practicing in CA I wouldn't look too hard at out of state Tier 2/3 schools. 

One safety that you may want to consider is Chapman University in Orange County--you may even get some $$$.  From what I've heard it places pretty well in Southern California (specifically Orange County), and although it has only been around since 1995 (still is ABA approved) it seems to be moving up pretty quick.

Good luck. 

Have you really heard decent things about Chapman?  They are T4, and I think I'd go to SW over Chapman, and SW is Tier 3 and even though I heard they have a great alumni base, I also heard many of them have trouble placing jobs...

Really hard to distinguish which schools are better when they are this close...

jharris

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2006, 03:18:18 PM »
Have I heard "great" things about Chapman?... no. But I have heard that they can place well in Orange County and it's an up and coming school that gives out a lot of money.  Chapman was a suggestion for a safety, but I would definately pick every school on your list before chapman (including SW).  Are you pretty set on living/practicing law in CA?

pipskicks

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2006, 09:02:13 PM »
Set on practicing in California, not set on studying in California, but with my numbers I am pretty much destined to chances at Tier 2/3 schools, and I hear those are the ones that really rely on the regional rep.

Another one I am thinking about for a safety is Willamette, but they are out of state and I don't know what it would be like looking for a job here coming from that school, I think I'd be better off with a lower ranked school that is here in California.