Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The GULC Admitted Students Reception Review Thread  (Read 6516 times)

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
Re: The GULC Admitted Students Reception Review Thread
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2006, 11:36:34 AM »
ps. Was this the first real-life gathering in LSD history?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

zenpeaceofmind

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - zenpeaceofmind
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2006, 11:39:23 AM »
ps. Was this the first real-life gathering in LSD history?

No, they have been having LSD lovefests in Boston for a while ... at least one I know of.

:'(

"Legapp" Stands for "Legal Application"

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »

For instance, one ambassador said that 80% of people get the clinics they want, but as YaleC. pointed out, that means 20% DON'T.  Considering clinics are such a big selling point for the school, doesn't this seem kind of sucky?  And you can only take ONE?  Is this standard at most top law schools?  I found it rather disappointing.
It's actually a little bit worse. What they said was 80% of the people who want to do a clinic get get one, whether or not it is the one they originally wanted. And 20% who want clinics never get one before they graduate. I didn't know that you could only take one, though--did they say that? I thought that you could theoretically take one per semester for multiple semesters, although in practice the odds are probably against anyonr being able to get into clinics twice, in two different semesters.

The professor in my Q&A session mentioned the one-clinic-only rule (I think most of you were with the other professor).
I am officially a law school graduate : )

ladylazarus

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2006, 05:23:24 PM »
One of my favorite things is that you can have a Mac, yay!

You can have a Mac?!

Oh please please please please please let me get into this one....   *crosses fingers and toes*

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2006, 05:31:25 PM »

I stayed in the dorms, and it was just like college.  Everyone was running around into everyone else's rooms, wasted (never did find that afterparty...).  Probably best only if you're coming straight from UG and don't have furniture.  Size and ammenities-wise, they seemed awesome for someone used to NYC apartments.  

Yeah, if I go there I'm going to try and get a place in Mass Court. For starters you can't fit a double bed in a room at Gewirz and I'm not going back to a twin. Also, after working for university housing I'm never living in a school-issued bed again. Ever.

andyg

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2006, 06:32:36 PM »

Yeah, if I go there I'm going to try and get a place in Mass Court. For starters you can't fit a double bed in a room at Gewirz and I'm not going back to a twin.

Agree w/the twin bed. What is mass court ?
Georgetown 2009!

sje55

• AOL Instant Messenger - Sarah5500
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2006, 08:19:23 PM »
Hey all-

I figured I'd add in a few thoughts as well.  First, it was great to meet everyone - a bit odd at first, but made for a good time over the two days.  And for everyone that isn't officially on LSD (but stalks the board...) thanks to those who introduced themselves =)

As for Georgetown, I thought they did a really nice job with the weekend.  Almost all of the students whom I encountered were very outgoing, ideologically diverse, and exceptionally enthusiastic about Georgetown.  I had the opportunity to speak with a few students who were not part of the weekend, and they too seemed to enjoy a positive experience at GULC.  Seems like most students are happy there.

The facilities are great - gym is incredible (a spinning room? sauna? yay!) - and the student housing was, as expected, dormish.  I plan on living there because it seems like a good way to meet people and I don't want the hassle of independently locating a place in DC.  They're expensive, but it's DC...so everything is.

Impressive faculty, seemingly interesting course selections.  The incredibly large 1L course sizes scare me a bit, but I was assured that many 2L and 3L classes are between 10-30 people.  Classrooms are generic, nothing special.

I guess that's it for now.  Catz - please send me those pictures, I'd love to see them. Any LSDers who decide on Gtown, let me know - I'm definitely attending, so we can talk before the fall.  Best of luck with the rest of your apps!

Goodfella Aaron

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2006, 08:41:22 PM »

Yeah, if I go there I'm going to try and get a place in Mass Court. For starters you can't fit a double bed in a room at Gewirz and I'm not going back to a twin.

Agree w/the twin bed. What is mass court ?

It's a high rise on Mass that's a 5 minute walk to campus. It's pretty nice so you'll need roommates but because of my current living situation only 2 roommates would by no means be a hassle.

Yale College Inferno

• Sr. Citizen
  • New daily nonstop to Hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 08:42:23 PM »
It's a high rise on Mass that's a 5 minute walk to campus. It's pretty nice so you'll need roommates but because of my current living situation only 2 roommates would by no means be a hassle.

Haha. Remember when the other guys in your current living situation tried to set your bed on fire?
Yale College '06
Harvard Law School '09

Bored? Try the mafia boss. (Warning: addictive!)
http://www.themafiaboss.com/?refer=admiral28
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=yalecol06

jnc18

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 09:25:26 PM »
Some very good, thorough comments have been made.

I, for one, am pretty sure I'd stay in Gewirz that first year if I go to Gtown.  It has a good community feel and I'm the kind of person that needs to roll out of bed and straight to class in no time.

I was very impressed overall with the facilities.  Everything was more modern than I expected and the gym is simply unparalleled.  It's so sick and convenient, there's no way you could not go work out.

I also agree with those who were glad to hear the "rankings situation" addressed in the opening presentation and that the student representatives chose Georgetown over high ranked schools.  I'll tell you what, regardless of rankings, I've realized that "Georgetown Law" just ends up sounding more prestigious than any other other school you can name short of HYS (and possibly Columbia/Chicago).

I was pleased with the trip and walked away with a very good impression of the school.