Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Time to get worried?  (Read 4724 times)

Hybrid Vigor

• Sr. Citizen
  • prestigious
    • View Profile
Re: Time to get worried?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 03:28:34 PM »
I am in the same boat. I really think something weird is going on this year...CLS, SLS, HLS, and YLS have all only admitted auto admits (more or less) up until this point. That means the applicant pool is either unusually strong, unusually weak, or unusually small (since according to LSAC data it's not large). It seems that alot of people with strong numbers are still waiting to hear. On the other hand, there have been some pretty surprising dings/deferrals. Which means that the app pool may be particularly strong this year, albeit smaller, so schools are doing more strategizing as far as yield protection and such. 

With app deadlines coming soon, I think there will be a flurry of activity in the next 2 weeks or so.
Die Luft der Freiheit weht

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 04:21:58 PM »
I am in the same boat. I really think something weird is going on this year...CLS, SLS, HLS, and YLS have all only admitted auto admits (more or less) up until this point. That means the applicant pool is either unusually strong, unusually weak, or unusually small (since according to LSAC data it's not large). It seems that alot of people with strong numbers are still waiting to hear. On the other hand, there have been some pretty surprising dings/deferrals. Which means that the app pool may be particularly strong this year, albeit smaller, so schools are doing more strategizing as far as yield protection and such. 

With app deadlines coming soon, I think there will be a flurry of activity in the next 2 weeks or so.

I personally worried about the middle tier schools, since I am a mid-ranked applicant applying the mid-ranked schools. For example Mc George and Penn St. averages on LSN are (162, 3.33) for Penn St. and Mc George (161,3.5). Should I be afraid? Have I simply applied to schools that are really gonna jump up in the rankings? or are they still admitting auto-admits only? I mean, Syracuse average on LSN was 157,3.3 last year and is not 156,3.5. 

corbabe

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2006, 04:55:59 PM »
yeah Arkansas (fayetteville) told me i didn't meet their index criteria.  So my app was rejected.  I think Toledo did that as well.

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2006, 04:59:49 PM »
The more I think about it the more I think that no news is good news.  At least they are CONSIDERING my app, rather than throwing it in the auto-reject pile. ... or so I'd like to think...
Quote from: Stanley James Watson III
I <3 AH.
the official gettin' busy poster of the OPC!
Official Realistic Numbers Holder of the Revolution
Quote from: Groundhog
honorary fellow LSD rodent.
www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=arhodg

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2006, 07:09:52 PM »
Maybe they are saving the rejects for last because they have no need to tell you since you are not coming.

However, there are some schools that send out their rejects first. For example, Akron. I was complete there on the 26th. Those who have been rejected take two weeks to hear back, acceptees take longer. So, Akron is a case that not recieving an immediate response is a sigh of relief. However, does anyone know about whats going on overall?

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - diegopiranha
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 07:13:57 PM »
I actually worried about that...

and some schools haven't done many rejects at all yet, which is scary

though I think it's something in between--they are spending time on the apps before sending out the rejections, which could mean they are feeling out the pool--and they could not feel as much urgency to let those of us who aren't auto-admits know what's up, while they race to woo the top of the top?

so unlike me to be negative, this process must be wearing on me!
UVA '09

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 09:16:41 PM »
Maybe they are saving the rejects for last because they have no need to tell you since you are not coming.

That is def. true.  I decided to change my mindset recently becuase unless you know exactly how every process works (like your Akron example) it is impossble to tell if the wait is a good thing or a bad thing.

Of course it is impossible to know for schools who have no sent only acceptances or rejections yet, but for schools who seemed to have sent a lot of decisions already on both sides, I don't see how them taking some extra time with your app can be too much of a bad thing. :)

I haven't received mail in a few days (besides a UConn complete notice that freaked me out at first), so I am basially trying to help myself sleep at night. ;)
I <3 AH.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 09:18:35 PM »
I hear ya'... definitely telling myself things to get through the day has become a real game I play with myself...

and AH, is that Roxy in your pic?
UVA '09

AH

• LSD Obsessed
  • but you're a hippo!
    • View Profile
    • LSN
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 09:25:20 PM »
You have to roxy and lets face it all we can do at this point is check the limited data we have available and make our best guessed about why apps are are not coming.  I am expecting a lot of atuo-rejects to come late, I just hope they're evenly split with decisions that were given serious review.

That is Hank, Roxie isn't a fan of pictures and she is no where near as big a baby as my lab.  I think that is my fav pic of myself, not that its relevant! ;D
I <3 AH.

Roxy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 09:36:40 PM »
yeah, I do wish it were more like UG sometimes, when most things sort of came all at once, I'm starting to think I'll get my yays and then my nays all bunched at the end. I realize it's all the same result, regardless of when they come, but kind of a downer at the end of the cycle to pick up small, thin letter after small thin letter (with bad news). oh well, didn't even think I'd be here 8 months ago, so it's been a wild ride.

and that pup in the pic looks very sweet... my roxy is currently trying to "help" me type, she thinks her nose belongs on the keyboard...
UVA '09