Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Top 20 IP Schools  (Read 16497 times)

greengrl

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Top 20 IP Schools
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2006, 03:46:44 PM »
i'm going to Iowa for IP too--its' a major research university so I think we're safe in our decision

see you in iowa city :)

buju

• View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2006, 08:24:12 AM »
I've seen the new top 10, but does anyone with online access have the full list for 2007?

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2006, 11:34:06 PM »
I personally think these rankings have some affect on IP hiring, but it is minimal at best. I think it depends tremendously on your undergrad degree and your experience with IP law/subject matter. If a student from FSU law, who has an undergrad degree in electrical engineering and has worked at an engineering firm for 3 years before law school is applying for the same job as someone from Stanford who came straight from undergrad with a history degree I am willing to bet the fsu law student will get the job. Granted I am ignoring the alumni factor, but even with that I think the fsu law student might get the job anyways. IP firms want more then a law degree, they want people who can understand backwards and forwards technical data. Now if an IP firm is trying to decide between a student at FSU that came straight from undergrad with a history degree and a student at GW that came straight from undergrad with a history degree, then I think the GW student wins because US News says that his/her IP education is better. Am I wrong?
Emory 3L.

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2006, 07:50:04 AM »
I personally think these rankings have some affect on IP hiring, but it is minimal at best. I think it depends tremendously on your undergrad degree and your experience with IP law/subject matter. If a student from FSU law, who has an undergrad degree in electrical engineering and has worked at an engineering firm for 3 years before law school is applying for the same job as someone from Stanford who came straight from undergrad with a history degree I am willing to bet the fsu law student will get the job. Granted I am ignoring the alumni factor, but even with that I think the fsu law student might get the job anyways. IP firms want more then a law degree, they want people who can understand backwards and forwards technical data. Now if an IP firm is trying to decide between a student at FSU that came straight from undergrad with a history degree and a student at GW that came straight from undergrad with a history degree, then I think the GW student wins because US News says that his/her IP education is better. Am I wrong?

I don't think you're wrong.  You have to have an engineering/science degree to sit for the patent law exam.  If you don't have a technical degree you probably won't be very competitive in the marketplace!
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

blocke123

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 01, 2006, 05:36:11 PM »
>As a student going into IP, I've made the decision to go to the best school in my region, regardless of it's strength in IP. That's the advice that I've been given several times.

That's exactly correct, I think. The ranking of IP school only matters, if at all, if you don't have any applicable background. For someone with a PhD in natural sciences, for instance, just go to the best law school overall. You're already going to make a killing in IP with that degree, no one will care at all if the law school you chose is ranked higher in IP. I've already encountered this in choosing Stanford over Boalt ... sure, Boalt may be #1 in IP, but Stanford's apparently #2, and I'd rather be at a private school with nicer resources. And with a doctorate in sci, it won't matter to anyone anyway.

/Ad.

Well to be more exact, I don't see why anyone who doesn't have an engineering/technical degree would even bother to try to get an IP.  Esp. since you can't even set for teh patent bar.
Wants to meet me under the bleachers: DePaul ($$$), John Marshall ($$$ withdrawn), American, Miami (withdrawn), IOWA, Kent ($$)
Wants to meet me by the bike rack: Indiana
Told me they need to wash their hair: Loyola

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2006, 05:51:00 PM »
Well to be more exact, I don't see why anyone who doesn't have an engineering/technical degree would even bother to try to get an IP.  Esp. since you can't even set for teh patent bar.

Aren't you conflating "intellectual property" with "patent law?"

Yea, there are copyright litigators who do pretty well (in the words of my lawyer uncle, "they print money.)  Also, I was looking at a hotshot boston IP firm's website, and they said they are interested in people who specialized in trademark during law school, no science background required there.

dennycrane

• Sr. Citizen
  • My Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2006, 09:34:57 PM »
yah a science backround is not required....but you bet your ass it is preferred.
Emory 3L.

Isutrackstar

• AOL Instant Messenger - tashathehooper
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2006, 11:00:16 PM »
Anybody know the full IP ranking from US News 2007 ?

SuicideNixon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2006, 10:16:16 PM »

pretty no firm wants someone with a history degree, period. you have to have a technical degree or they wont even look at you. from experience I can tell you that even an applied math degree with a billion physics credits isnt what they are looking for
When a President does it, that means that it is not illegal. -Richard Nixon

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?cycle=0405&user=SuicideNixon

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2006, 11:30:07 AM »

pretty no firm wants someone with a history degree, period. you have to have a technical degree or they wont even look at you. from experience I can tell you that even an applied math degree with a billion physics credits isnt what they are looking for

still conlfating "IP" with "Patent"