Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does this sound original enough for a PS topic?  (Read 2845 times)

lexylit

Re: Does this sound original enough for a PS topic?
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 08:00:58 PM »
What do you guys think about going through a divorce at a younger age (11)  Comments?

you got divoerced at 11? when did you get married, second grade?  :o

swifty

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSAT Sucks
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 09:17:23 PM »
Now Now lexy----you were warned, only constructive comments are allowed.
What happened to your boobs?  Now that's constructive.
And the sign said "Long-haired freaky people need not apply" So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why. He said "You look like a fine outstanding young man, I think you'll do.  So I took off my hat, I said "Imagine that. Huh! Me workin' for you!"Sign, sign, everywhere a sign..

GA_Kristi

• Sr. Citizen
  • Whittier Law School Class of 2007
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 10:25:43 PM »
Magellan:

If you're really interested in human rights law (or some other public interest even), then I personally think the China topic is a good one.  If you're not genuine, though, they'll know it..

majane:

Magellan's PS wouldn't be critical of Chinese people or Chinese culture, it's only a perspective on a government and their policies.  If anything, it's in support of the individual liberties that every human being in every culture on Earth deserves.  It's no different than the millions of people around the world who protest American foreign policy.  They don't "hate America" or "hate Americans", they just disagree with a government's policy.  We all need to remember that sometimes.

I second this.  I think its an excellent topic if you play it right.  Make sure you research your schools and find out what programs they have in this area, or even just classes offered, and mention your interest in the school based on this.  I think it always pays off to tie your interests to each school specifically, they want to know you're interested in their school for a reason.
"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour, the greatest fulfillment of all that he holds dear, is the moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle-victorious." - Vince Lombardi

Hrothgar

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2004, 03:27:05 PM »
Magellan -

I think the China story is a much better topic then the divorce angle.  Not to downplay any hardship it brought on you as an 11yr old, but alot of people's parents divorced.  However, not many people have seen what you saw in China.  Not only is it more original than the divorce topic, but it also offers you a great opportunity to tell a story (ie of having witnessed the event).  A good description will not only make your essay more interesting, but can also serve as a platform to show off your writing skills.  When it comes to linking it with law, its a no brainer.
you will hardly know who i am or what i mean....

shortbus

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2004, 10:22:45 PM »
China: no. It would be a good PS topic for the guy in the van but not you, who merely happened to be walking by.

Divorce: no. Who cares, far too common. IN fact anything childhood related is a bad idea.

Magellan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2004, 09:33:05 AM »
Your China comment...Why? We watched the whole thing, it's not something you see happen too often, the guy was (I'm guessing) silently protesting, just sitting with a sign, I think if I do it right it could be good.

shortbus

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2004, 11:30:06 AM »
well, do what you want. 1) I disagree that you don't see it "often". China's human rights record has been pretty well documented these past 15 ... 20 ... 30 yrs. What you saw is, unfortunately, not news to anyone.

2) I see a risk in trying to attach someone else's drama. It doesn't make for compelling writing. Something that happened DIRECTLY TO YOU where you have first-hand experience is better than something you merely witnessed

3) it would boil down to a PS about how "injustice is bad"

Magellan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2004, 11:52:02 AM »
Thats true, I know it's pretty well known, but I guess I was thinking it's one of those things you don't really think about until you see it firsthand, maybe I'm a little too sheltered..

I was worried about that whole "injustice" thing taking over, you don't think there's any way to approach it without coming off like that?

Really, I'm having trouble coming up with anything unique to really write about, and I'm stuck on this idea and going nowhere. I appreciate your comments though.

nathanielmark

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2004, 12:43:57 PM »
crazy, this is my topic, exactly...

I'm having a hard time coming up with anything very good for my PS. Really the only thing I have right now centers around a trip to Bejing a few years ago. We were in Tiananmen Square and saw some guy who was protesting get beat down and thrown in a van. If I were to talk about that and how it got me interested in the advantages or our laws and wanting to learn more about them, would that be too blah?  I appreciate any comments on this.