Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Does this sound original enough for a PS topic?  (Read 2824 times)

Magellan

• View Profile
    • Email
Does this sound original enough for a PS topic?
« on: July 22, 2004, 04:00:30 PM »
I'm having a hard time coming up with anything very good for my PS. Really the only thing I have right now centers around a trip to Bejing a few years ago. We were in Tiananmen Square and saw some guy who was protesting get beat down and thrown in a van. If I were to talk about that and how it got me interested in the advantages or our laws and wanting to learn more about them, would that be too blah?  I appreciate any comments on this.

mancow555

Re: Does this sound original enough for a PS topic?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004, 04:02:33 PM »
I'm having a hard time coming up with anything very good for my PS. Really the only thing I have right now centers around a trip to Bejing a few years ago. We were in Tiananmen Square and saw some guy who was protesting get beat down and thrown in a van. If I were to talk about that and how it got me interested in the advantages or our laws and wanting to learn more about them, would that be too blah?  I appreciate any comments on this.

actually, no...i'm already using that one.  sorry.

Casper

• Sr. Citizen
  • Casper, the friendly Ghost.
    • View Profile
    • DANY
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2004, 07:20:33 PM »
Well, then change it to how you saw some people practicing falun dafa in China, and saw them get a beat down and dragged into van and was never seen again.  Very sad, but true.
Drawing dead, serving 25 to life.

majane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2004, 10:50:32 PM »

Hi
I'm from China. I personally think if you describe something bad about China, even though it is true, but how it could help you? Would you devote yourself to human right or what? I don't think admmission office believe the sad tale.
If you really want to say something related to China, you should detail your interest about Chinese culture when you were young, always care about Asian development and did some research about it,you like to become a lawyer putting focus on commerce between U.S and China, blahblah

Good luck.

Ginatio

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2004, 11:18:59 PM »
it has potential... you should work in anything you know about international and comparative law, mention that your interest is in this field of law for reasons such as this experience you had in china, and possibly list any goals you want to achieve with your law degree.

or you can just write about how you'll be able to afford a porsche in 5 years..

Magellan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 09:54:38 AM »
I was thinking that may not be such a great topic, so thanks for your comments, and to the guy from China, obviously it's not a positive incident, but i was going to just use it as a springboard, not to be bashing china. What do you guys think about going through a divorce at a younger age (11) and having more responsibility being the oldest? I'm thinking that may be too over-used as it is. Comments?

nonobvious

• Sr. Citizen
  • 167/3.66
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 10:09:50 AM »
Yes it's an "over-used" genre, but whether it's good or not depends on the specifics of the situation? What were those responsibilities, etc? Is there any particular part of that experience or a related event that changed you in a meaningful way?

I would keep brainstorming on topics-- and remember that good topics don't always have to be of the "obstacle overcome" or "dramatic event" variety.
"Flying is simple. You just throw yourself at the ground and miss."

Magellan

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 10:45:55 AM »
No, I can't really say there was anything very unique or anythign about it, I don't think it would be a good idea. Good point though, maybe I can come up with something that doesn't quite stand out as much in my mind but is still somewhat unique.

darren

• Sr. Citizen
  • Nader / Camejo 2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 12:43:09 PM »
Magellan:

If you're really interested in human rights law (or some other public interest even), then I personally think the China topic is a good one.  If you're not genuine, though, they'll know it..

majane:

Magellan's PS wouldn't be critical of Chinese people or Chinese culture, it's only a perspective on a government and their policies.  If anything, it's in support of the individual liberties that every human being in every culture on Earth deserves.  It's no different than the millions of people around the world who protest American foreign policy.  They don't "hate America" or "hate Americans", they just disagree with a government's policy.  We all need to remember that sometimes.
GPA - 3.55 Overall, 3.75 Last 3 Years
LSAT - 169,171 on Timed Practice Tests

majane

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 01:49:38 PM »
I don't think American people, like you guys on the message board, would hate China or assault its human rights condition which actually is true and horrible, I'm not defending it. Every knows that government and government's policy can't represent the whole country and its culture.

I just think, if magellan choose it as topic, the topic would be challenged by its authenticity unless you live in China for a long time. Only short trip can't expose all to you.

good luck