Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's in at Miami and considering attending?  (Read 11869 times)

gogiants

• View Profile
Re: Who's in at Miami and considering attending?
« Reply #80 on: April 10, 2006, 08:58:55 PM »
chica, do you know what the cab situation like in the coral gables/ coconut grove area for going out purposes?  are they really expensive or do they do some sort of $3 a person deal or something like that because of all the students?

GoGators

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 12, 2006, 01:20:34 PM »
I had myself convinced that UMiami was a better option, but im second guessing myself now that i have an acceptance in hand. Hmm...

As much as I LOVE Miami, I think i'd go with UF.  You're saving $20K in tuition and will have better biglaw placement opportunities.  Plus, UF > UM in terms of national reputation / recruitment, hands down.  I'm pretty sorry I didn't apply there...  :-\   

That's really not accurate. UF offers a better value than UM as far as tuition is concerned, but if you want to work Big Law in South Florida you can't beat Miami. Miami alumni dominate Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties, if you don't believe me go to Martindale and check it out for yourself. If you want big law in Orlando, Jacksonville or Tampa then go to UF. UF does have Big Law opportunities in South Florida, but their on par with, if not less than Miami. If you want Big Law in the Northeast, Chicago, DC, LA, you go to Miami, at least you have a chance if you do extremely well to land a job in the Big Law firms in those areas. Miami has a much better rep nationwide because its a carpetbagger school. Unlike UF in which 85% of its students are from instate and remain instate to practice, Miami's class is routinely 70-75% out of state and many return to their homestates to practice law, therefore building an 80 year old alumni network and reputation that UF does not have throughout the rest of the country.

maxisNE0

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2006, 08:50:21 PM »
i am highly considering attending...   did anyone apply and get accepted to the miami scholar's program ?? 
damn waitlists..

FSUGeoff

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - FSUGeoff06
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #83 on: April 12, 2006, 10:39:57 PM »
Deferred then rejected at Miami, and deferred at FSU today, rough day. Still holding hope out for FSU and I have a plan of attack, trying to be proactive with my top choice. Anyway I won't be joining you guys sadly, however I will be down at the toilet bowl to watch Kyle Wright get knocked silly, see you bitches on Labor Day!!!(This is gentle well-meant flame) ;D

maxisNE0

• View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2006, 09:06:05 AM »
i am highly considering attending...   did anyone apply and get accepted to the miami scholar's program ?? 

I might have... what is it?

public interest scholarship program.. required a seperate application that was due a few weeks ago.. offered around 22k a year if you got accepted for up to something like 22 students...     
damn waitlists..

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2006, 10:10:05 AM »
Deferred then rejected at Miami, and deferred at FSU today, rough day. Still holding hope out for FSU and I have a plan of attack, trying to be proactive with my top choice. Anyway I won't be joining you guys sadly, however I will be down at the toilet bowl to watch Kyle Wright get knocked silly, see you bitches on Labor Day!!!(This is gentle well-meant flame) ;D

Sorry to hear that, Geoff   :( 

I still haven't heard back from FSU, so I don't even know who i'll be rooting for yet! 
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

gogiants

• View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 14, 2006, 06:18:43 PM »
ivan you never fail to keep me entertained with your avatars.  keep up the good work.

jharris15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #87 on: April 15, 2006, 08:56:30 PM »
hey my financial aid award letter was lost in the mail.  i was wondering could anybody tell me the maximum amount of private loans you are allowed to take?

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2006, 03:50:30 PM »
hey my financial aid award letter was lost in the mail.  i was wondering could anybody tell me the maximum amount of private loans you are allowed to take?

The estimated maximum loan eligibility is $33,224 per year (in addition to the 18.5K stafford loans).
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

jharris15

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #89 on: April 17, 2006, 05:50:55 AM »
thanks Ivan.