Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Who's in at Miami and considering attending?  (Read 11881 times)

gogiants

• View Profile
Re: Who's in at Miami and considering attending?
« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2006, 11:29:32 PM »
i'd prolly be down

miamione

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 08, 2006, 07:34:44 PM »
ok, some things to consider before falling head over heals for miami,

admin may be helpful, but that is only because you guys are admitted students
career office is not that helpful
the grading curve can be bad if you are in the wrong class
true - the city is great, but your first year will be spent studying a lot. So you may not see the sun for the most part - that is if you want to get great grades.

i am currently at miami law

miamione

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »
Do you wish you would have gone elsewhere?

that's difficult to answer because there are some good factors:

nice weather - especially during the winter.  Imagine getting up in December at 7am to study for finals in Miami and imagine the same from anywhere in the NE.  But at the same time, keep in mind the hurricane season.  Power was out at many apartments for days (at some, for about a week or two).  No power can sometimes mean no water.

people are friendly - but then again, you may not have time to enjoy the nightlife.  but then again, you may suffer your first year, but your second year will be somewhat easier and so hanging out with friends will be possible.

and so on.

the biggest factors to consider when choosing a school, I feel, is the location you want to live and work after graduation.  another factor is the amount of debt you will incur.  three years of miami could run up to 150K.  there are some other factors that I cannot think of at the moment.  but keep in mind, each person has things they feel are important - example - the 150K may not bother some - I say this because there are many, many rich students at Miami.

If I had another opp. I would have gone to a school in a major NE or west coast city.  but since I didn't get accepted to some of the higher ranked schools, I decided on Miami.  But I don't regret my decision going to miami given my options. 

btw, another thing to consider at miami are the large classes - about a 100 students - you may think this is not a big deal - but it could hurt your ability to follow the profs lectures.

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2006, 09:10:46 PM »
Okay, so i'll try to make this thread cheerful again by sharing a nice little UM Law (sort of) story.

Last week, I went on an interview for Goldman Sachs (legal dept) in Jersey City to work in compliance regulation (a job that consists of monitoring transactions and ensuring they run according to specified guidelines, which is not really legal, but close to it).  It's a well paying job (higher than the avg. law school grad's starting salary) but one I was not very qualified for (the job posting required some business compliance experience).

In any event, the man who interviewed me was an attorney who graduated from USC Gould with a hefty scholarship and received his BA from UPenn.  I found this out at the very start of the interview and a good dose of intimidation promptly set in.  He knew of my law school aspirations (as per my resume) and asked me where I was planning on attending.  I was very hesitant to answer, but when I replied University of Miami, he responded, evidently impressed, “UM Law, wow, that’s a great school!”

The next 20 minutes of the alleged “interview” consisted of us BSing about how great Miami is and how a young, single guy just HAS to live there.  We also spoke about the aesthetics and beauty of the campus because, as it turns out, the interviewer lived a few blocks away from it for a brief period of time.  Also, he likened Los Angeles to a giant version of Miami, which sat well with me because I LOVED SoCal during my last vacation there.  For whatever it’s worth, he knew of a great professor at UM Law he recommended I meet. 

Well, long story short, he began to ask me technical questions I had no answers for (i.e. what is the hierarchy of a typical compliance department?  WTF!?) but I got the job anyway and my UM Law interest played no small part. 

In any event, I now have two weeks to decide whether I should take this gig and defer law school for a year or to just go to UM Law penniless, but already on my way to getting it over with.  Wow, and I thought the UM vs. Pepperdine decision was tough!   
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 10, 2006, 01:42:18 AM »
Congratulations, Ivan - that sounds great. 
:)

Thanks Chica! 

Although I'm probably going to turn the offer down because I really can't see myself delaying law school for a year, it's nice to hear a Goldman VP and USC law grad speak so highly of UM... and in Jersey, no less! 
"I spent lots of money on birds, booze, and fast cars.  The rest I squandered." - George Best!

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 10, 2006, 02:11:45 AM »
I guarantee that at least a third of the people you meet down here are from the tri-state area.  I grew up in Jersey myself.

Haha... i'm well aware.  Of the 3 girls I met at UM - one was from long island (with a thick accent), one from New Brunswick (from my UG!), and one from Miami (which actually surprised me cuz I already expected everyone to be from the tri state lol)!

But glad to hear that you're leaning on coming here.  When you get here we'll definitely have to meet up for a drink or something.   I know jngledave will be up for it too.   :)

Of course!  I'll have to make sure to move in a week or so before law school starts so I can properly indulge in all the wonderful clubs/bars/strips.  It'll almost be like a full vacation and I still can't believe i'm going to be living in a city like this!!! 

BTW, speaking of drinks... is there like a super-prevalent drink people order at bars in Miami?  Since I usually only drink straight shots, I can't stand Rum, and I feel like Bacardi and co. are used and abused in Miami.  Surely there are vodka drinkers out there!?  (well, tequila is fine too!)     

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 10, 2006, 02:18:42 AM »
I'm actually a vodka/tequila girl myself.    ;)

Well then, I guess there will be some good times ahead!   ;D

Only thing is, do you think jngledave will be able to keep up with us?   :D

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 10, 2006, 10:16:26 AM »
I do NOT drive unless completely sober.

Well, i'm exactly the same way!  This is one of the things I feared about moving to PublicTransportationLess Coral Gables.  I think i've been spoiled the last four years by being able to belligerently stumble to bars from my house or guzzle mixed drinks on the local train to NYC.

When you get here we'll definitely have to meet up for a drink or something.   I know jngledave will be up for it too.   :)

Well, maybe we'll all have to drive in.  Restaurant-style bar anyone?   :D         

IvanTrbl

• Sr. Citizen
  • ouch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 10, 2006, 10:26:39 AM »
Ivan, I may be in a similar situation myself.  I've been interviewing as well and the big four accounting firm is putting A LOT of pressure on me to stay.  That being said, it's going to take a ton of money to keep me from going to law school, but what do I do if I get offered a job that is just too good to be true!?!

...and what happens when we'd end up making, in three years, 3X what we would coming out of law school!?  Still though, there's no need for future regrets...

gogiants

• View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 10, 2006, 07:34:06 PM »
i'd really like to find a decent priced apt in coconut grove so i don't have to worry about the drunk driving factor... i hope the cab situation is decent.

dave - from what i understand, the metro thing they have is not a viable option, it basically runs up and down US-1, so if you happen to live right next to it you would be able to use it to get to class but if not then no.  either way, you will more than likely need a car for doing most anything else.