Law School Discussion

Rutgers U-(EWR) ---1L taking questions

America's Next Top Lawyer

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
Rutgers U-(EWR) ---1L taking questions
« on: January 26, 2006, 07:44:55 AM »
HI guys,

It has been a while. The last time I logged in was July 2005. After I received my acceptance I was like --peace see ya later. But I was curious to see what was going on over here. I remember where I was this time last year and I thought, "Let me pay the board a visit." I remembered when 1L's would come back to set the record straight on how life really is. We really need to dispel all of the rumors. So for a limited time, I am taking questions. (I guess I will stop taking questions when I feel the need to get back to work). But I will continually check back. My only caveat is that I can only give you a vague reference to my numbers because I would like to preserve my anonymity.

So lets begin....

RM

Re: Rutgers U-(EWR) ---1L taking questions
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2006, 09:01:06 AM »
I'm starting in the fall and am curious about anything you think would be useful information. Do you feel safe on campus?

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2006, 11:49:22 AM »
Are you happy with your choice of schools? What's housing like around Newark? Is the law school active? ie, are there lots of events, speakers, etc? How is campus life? My boss used to teach there and mentioned that most students were commuters, which affected the atmosphere. How are the professors? Is the administration competent? How are the facilities?

Thanks for taking the barrage of q's.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 01:30:36 PM »
I'm curious to know too. Pretty campus? Looks great on the website. What's the general vibe of the student body--laid back or cutthroat? How are the profs for 1L courses? Tell me about them. And where do people find housing? THANKS ;) (and sorry for being redundant)

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 01:32:25 PM »
I'm starting in the fall and am curious about anything you think would be useful information. Do you feel safe on campus?

Hey, Congrats on your admissions. Wow, you already got your response? Your numbers must have been on point. I had to wait until April to hear back. But I applied late, in the beginning of January. So that had a little effect on things.

First, concerning useful information, the best pre-law book that I purchased was Planet law School 2. A few people despise that book, but I must say that it is accurate. Prep with the Examples & Explanations over the summer and you will get a head start and you wont feel lost. I was only able to prep for my torts and contracts courses and it made a world of a difference. I never felt lost. And it helped alleviate the first semester nervousness.

However, the best part about the school is that it is not out to fail anybody. I am not sure about the curve for this school but I think it is in the high c/low b range. There aren't any ultra crazy competitive people because we know that we will all make it in the end.

However, I must make a note that I didn’t receive my first semester grades yet. I have no idea what in the world is going on. But the one thing that I am sure about is that I didn’t fail. So that is comforting. Unlike the atmosphere in other schools that like to fail people out through the survival of the fittest.

I will answer your safety question in the next post.

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 01:59:33 PM »
Are you happy with your choice of schools? What's housing like around Newark? Is the law school active? ie, are there lots of events, speakers, etc? How is campus life? My boss used to teach there and mentioned that most students were commuters, which affected the atmosphere. How are the professors? Is the administration competent? How are the facilities?

Thanks for taking the barrage of q's.

Yes, I am very happy with my choice of school. Did you see the starting salaries in US news?.lol.  My only problem is I need to find out what I want to do. I have strong feelings against practicing big law because of the hours and the toll it takes on the personal life. So that may affect the jobs I pursue and my starting salary. But if you are the type that wants to go for Big law, you will be well supported because Rutgers alumni are heavy in the area. And they are loyal (as my sister tells me).

As for events and speakers, clubs, I can only vaguely let you know how it is because I haven't really gone out in the first semester. I was working on that blasted outline forever. But now that I have things under control, I am planning to join things in the fall. But based on my email inbox, we receive a whole lot of invites to go to events, mixers, and they have a mentoring program for 1ls.

They have a club for everything. I think they have a listing of the clubs on their website. It just depends on what you are into. Even though there are a lot of commuters, when there is an event, people show up. So a student just has to attend an event or join a club to meet people. Law review is based on a competition and not only on grades so the best writers get on.

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2006, 02:02:58 PM »
I'm curious to know too. Pretty campus? Looks great on the website. What's the general vibe of the student body--laid back or cutthroat? How are the profs for 1L courses? Tell me about them. And where do people find housing? THANKS ;) (and sorry for being redundant)

Concerning prof teaching skills, I will say that I love 50% of my profs and I have lukewarm feelings for the other 50%. But my advice to students is learn how to teach yourself. That is what makes the advice in PLS 2 great. Because once you learn things on your own, you wont have to worry about a prof who is not great with explaining things. That will occur on many occasions. And you don’t want to seem slow by asking too many questions. So pick up a book and teach yourself. Also helpful, when creating your outline, do a search on google to find outlines from other schools that could help you fill in the areas you are confused with.

I noticed a slight liberal streak in a few Profs. But it is not like they spew out political discussions and political ideology. It is only those rare occasions when the profs go off on a tangent and then inadvertently reveal where they stand on issues. That only occurred about 3% of the time. 

• Free at last!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2006, 02:23:36 PM »
Concerning safety and housing…

Well campus safety is great. The school is on a large city block and there are cop cars everywhere. I feel safe. If you are commuting, park in the parking deck. It is only 40 ft form the school building. And there are security guards around that whole area.  I have had to stay in school late (till 9:30) everyday this semester for research. And I never had a problem. I even take the subway.

But the thing you must note is that this is a college city. RU undergrad/grad is also located in Newark. It is not like the law school is isolated. So there are usually students on the street even around 9:30.  So chances are, you will rarely be alone wherever you are going.

My advice for off-campus housing is that you should not live in Newark. I can only speak for the security in the school area.  I cannot say the rest of the city is peachy keen because I have never ventured into it. Some parts are actually dangerous.

I actually live in Piscataway, which is 40 minutes from Newark. I take the train everyday to class. And some people drive to school (but they have “the club” attached to their steering wheels for sure). As for the school sponsored housing, I am not sure of how it is because I never been there. I recommend visiting the campus while school is in session to see how security is late at night. Check out the area around 9pm on a random day.

RM

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 07:40:05 AM »
Thanks for great info!
I am curious about your commute. You said you take a train - do you feel safe doing that? Also, are you renting a place? My husband and I area looking for a place in NJ right now, and I am a little sceptical about places around Newark.

buslaw

• AOL Instant Messenger - ransomdoll
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 08:16:11 AM »
Thanks for all the great info! I'm considering Rutgers-Newark, but I really didn't like Newark (and the parts of Jersey that I saw). Everyone I spoke to at the law school and the school itself, was great. I absolutely loved the school. I'm actually thinking about maybe living in PA and commuting. Would that be ridiculous? It's probably like 2 hours each way, but I figure I can actually get work done on the train ride. I actually spoke to someone else there who had a longer commute and she said she used the time to study. Any thoughts?