Law School Discussion

going for the 180 -- tips, suggestions?

going for the 180 -- tips, suggestions?
« on: July 22, 2004, 12:09:56 PM »
Iíve just started studying for the October LSAT, and as Iíve got some serious free time on my hands over the next few months, I plan to devote a lot of time to it. I believe a 180 is within reach. I know itís a longshot for anyone, but Iím confident of getting at least a 177 or 178 in October. I could take it right now and get a perfectly good score for any school, but as a personal goal and also to mitigate a sub-par GPA as best I can, I see no reason to stop short of achieving my maximum. The handful of questions Iím missing on the practice tests now are all mostly due to careless oversights or the occasional LG question that eats up more time than it should. With more studying and heightened focus, these should be less of a problem.

My question is to the extreme high scorers out there: what study/practice methods do you suggest for really nailing the test at the high end? As I mentioned, the questions themselves are rarely anything I have trouble figuring out. Rather, itís staying focused, being accurate, and not getting overconfident and blazing through sections too quickly.  So far, all I can come up with is buying all the practice and taking as many as I can before October. Anything else?

jayhawk

Re: going for the 180 -- tips, suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 01:17:55 PM »
I would definitely suggest not studying too much and getting burnt out.  If you are already scoring well, pushing too hard and focusing too much could just add stress and bring your score down.  Others might disagree, but given that you have a couple months, I wouldn't recommend doing more than one complete timed practice test a week, in addition to doing practice problems and working on techniques.  It sounds like you are going to do pretty well though.
Good Luck in October!

Lydia

• 3.5/170/Penn
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Kiwigrrl
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 01:20:54 PM »
Sounds like you're already on the right path.  Practice a lot, focusing on your weaker sections.  Don't get too caught up in your practice scores - I would only do one full practice test a week (if even that) and spend the rest of my study time focused on my weakest section(s).  Good luck!

mkagan

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 01:30:23 PM »
Definitely avoid being overconfident (which is one of the things you noted). if you become too confident, you wont struggle and press enough while taking the real thing. always remember that it is a hard test, but that if you stay focused you can overcome it.