Law School Discussion

GULC Law Students are Awesome.

Re: GULC Law Students are Awesome.
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2006, 11:04:58 PM »
Because that's what I want at my law school. A group of kids who try to make their point by stifling discourse. They could have just as easily pressed their side of the issue without ruining the experience for those who wanted to hear Alberto Gonzales speak.

Seriously.  How childish and crude.

RocketBot

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 12:13:38 AM »
*yawn* they should've gone to Berkeley.

Oh yeah, they probably couldn't get accepted there ;).

To be fair, Georgetown's LSAT range makes Berkeley look pretty remedial.  Then again just about every other T14 has that effect, hehe.

Mr Shears

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 01:23:26 PM »
That's awesome.  That made me want to read Thoreau again.

That made me glad I didn't get accepted there (yet). 

As Robert Turner of my probable next school (UVa Law) said, "the least they could've done was quote Ben Franklin correctly."  LOL.

I don't care about the protest.  I read the thing at the end where he said it was a good display of civil disobedience, which was an awesome Thoreau lecture.  That UVa quote is hilarious though.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 08:05:47 PM »
That's not civil disobedience, and if you think it is, you DO need to read Thoreau again.  Civil disobedience is something like a black person sitting in at a lunch counter where they are not allowed or Thoreau going to jail for refusing to pay taxes.  In other words, breaking a law to show why it's unjust.

This is a bunch of self-righteous kids holding a poster at a speech, which is not breaking a law nor showing how anything is unjust.  If they wanted to be effective advocates against the wiretapping laws, they would have listened to the speech then mounted a campagin against it based on the points made by one of its highest-profile supporters.  What they did was show a lack of respect to those who are actually interested in formulating a reason-based opinion, base an opponency based solely on slogans and sound bites, and come off as a bunch of spoiled-rotten kids who can't even listen to an opposition point of view without interrupting.

This was a childish and crude "demonstration," and if this is what passes for civil disobedience these days, MLK and Thoreau are surely rolling in their graves for being co-opted into such nonsense.

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 08:45:56 PM »
Vainglory - you're right it was not civil disobedience, nor do I think the protestors would say it was. After all, they were not breaking an unjust law to show how it is unjust.  But not all that MLK, jr advocated was civil disobedience, just for the record.  Also this was one of at least 6 administration speeches on the subject in the last two weeks, people have had opportunity to hear their positions to form reasoned opinions on the subject.  Again timing that is convenient to the supporters is really last in the mind of opponents who organize a protest.

Also, since when are law students kids?  Just because you want to think of them as less than you (the implicit adult)?  They can legally vote, join the military, drink, be prosecuted as an adult... the average age of law students at GULC is likely around 24.  Certainly they count as adults, not kids - really regardless of your age relative to these students, they are adults.  What makes an action childish?  How do you decide? 

When exactly is protest okay with you all?  When you agree with the protestors?  After the fact when it is clear that they were on the correct side?  Are there any objective criteria?  I mean I find many protests in my town quite frutstrating and annoying but that doesn't make them childish (though many involve shouting) or self-righteous (even the religious zealots, some of who are self-righteous are not so because they are out yelling their message and not listening.  They are self-righteous because they refuse to beleive that anyone else could possibly be in the right with them). 

Mr Shears

« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2006, 09:25:18 PM »
That's not civil disobedience, and if you think it is, you DO need to read Thoreau again.  Civil disobedience is something like a black person sitting in at a lunch counter where they are not allowed or Thoreau going to jail for refusing to pay taxes.  In other words, breaking a law to show why it's unjust.

This is a bunch of self-righteous kids holding a poster at a speech, which is not breaking a law nor showing how anything is unjust.  If they wanted to be effective advocates against the wiretapping laws, they would have listened to the speech then mounted a campagin against it based on the points made by one of its highest-profile supporters.  What they did was show a lack of respect to those who are actually interested in formulating a reason-based opinion, base an opponency based solely on slogans and sound bites, and come off as a bunch of spoiled-rotten kids who can't even listen to an opposition point of view without interrupting.

This was a childish and crude "demonstration," and if this is what passes for civil disobedience these days, MLK and Thoreau are surely rolling in their graves for being co-opted into such nonsense.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear when I said "I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE PROTEST."  What inspired me to re-read thoreau is the mention of civil disobedience at the end.  Sorry for the apparent lack of clarity in my words.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2006, 12:47:00 AM »
Fair 'nuff.

I'll read a little closer fore I get myself all bunched up next time.

Besides, I wouldn't want to stop anyone from reading Thoreau, even if it's a re-read.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2006, 02:15:40 AM »
The link to that LiveJournal was quite humorous as well. I especially loved the part where the author writes, "Alberto Gonzales spoke before law students at Georgetown today, justifying illegal, unauthorized surveilance of US citizens."

Now forgive my ignorance, but I didn't realize that a court had found this wiretapping to have been illegal. Furthermore, if it was "unauthorized," is it not true that it would have been impossible to have occured in the first place? Oh and the spelling error is also hilarious.

Followed by of course a smattering of self-congratulatory responses by similar feeble minded-folk who make the same irrational reasoning errors. It's one thing to dissent and have a difference of opinion. However, I would hope that people who feel enlightened enough to keep up with current events would at least limit their discourse to intelligent, robust, and thought provoking statements rather than simplified (probably due to laziness) rhetoric. The problem is, too many people mistake such rhetoric for reality and we get a dumbing down of society as a consequence.

Mr Shears

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2006, 11:19:50 AM »
Fair 'nuff.

I'll read a little closer fore I get myself all bunched up next time.

Besides, I wouldn't want to stop anyone from reading Thoreau, even if it's a re-read.

Word.  We should take that car of yours and go on a Thoreau campaign.