Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moderates v. Liberals  (Read 4013 times)

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
  • One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
Moderates v. Liberals
« on: January 25, 2006, 07:35:51 PM »
Something funny I keep reading on LSD is people who consider themselves "moderate" because they are economically conservative and socially liberal.  But in todays political arena, being "economically conservative" would throw you under the democrat/liberal umbrella.

Therefore, in reality, you would not be moderate, but liberal.
"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."  - Julius Caesar

verbal

• Sr. Citizen
    • AOL Instant Messenger - verbaltrinity
    • View Profile
Re: Moderates v. Liberals
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2006, 07:46:26 PM »
i agree with u. i think this summer i am going to try to write a book about the downfall of the republican party.  I think the real problem is that people who r christians consider themselves republicans even though they dont care about the actual beliefs of the party. i consider GB one of these people. what i mean is half the people in the party r in the republican party because they oppose abortion and right to die. The other half wants a weak federal gov and stronger state govs, enforced civil liberties, low taxes and a balanced budget.  I think that the party will split in the next fifteen years into two parties. 
Attending: OU

Paikea

• Sr. Citizen
  • One year down, two more to go!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2006, 07:53:58 PM »
True.  I think a lot of christians who support the republicans do so because of the abortion issue despite the myriad of other social issue that exist and get neglected by conservatives.  To a large degree, the republican party has become a one issue party.

"Those who want the Government to regulate matters of the mind and spirit are like men who are so afraid of being murdered that they commit suicide to avoid assassination." - Harry S. Truman

"All bad precedents begin with justifiable measures."  - Julius Caesar

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2006, 12:52:12 AM »
N
True.  I think a lot of christians who support the republicans do so because of the abortion issue despite the myriad of other social issue that exist and get neglected by conservatives.  To a large degree, the republican party has become a one issue party.

3 issues. Don't forget Iraq and the gays.  ;)

The republicans are over-extended and as the Dixiecreats that gave the dems the majority in the 60s revolted to the GOP in the 80s, the Rockefellers and country club GOP will come to the dems by 2015. I think America will the Democrat's response to Reagan between 2012 and 2020. By 2040, the tables will be completely turned. Not because we changed as a people, but because just as in 1980, half of the dems were gopers trying to get out, in 2020, half of the Gopers will find that they are dems trying to get out.

florentino ariza

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2006, 10:14:35 PM »
democrat does not neccessarily mean liberal.

Happy_Weasel

• LSD Obsessed
  • Me and Gir, the happy weasel.
    • MSN Messenger - ominusdemon2@msn.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2006, 11:37:08 PM »
Republican doesn't neccesiarly mean conservative.

However, Conservative deomcrats, liberal and conservative GOPers are just more politically disiplined. If we can defect enough liberal gopers, we could establish a new national order.

florentino ariza

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:52:30 AM »
that mixes well with the zim 'tar.

tkd720man

• law schools should have basketball teams
    • AOL Instant Messenger - tkd720man
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2006, 12:57:35 PM »
If the Democrats want to make any serious gains, they have to wake up and be honest with themselves about the uphill struggle they face.

The Republicans' screw-ups won't do the work for them. Any competent party would've painted the entire Republican establishment as held hostage to right-wing religious fundamentalists and corporate crooks a long time ago.

Howard Dean is a good first step, but the establishment Democrats undercut him at every turn. They're living in the past, where everybody is expected to be cordial and polite and gentlemanly. They haven't figured out that Republicans stopped playing that game over a decade ago. It also doesn't help that the media is against Howard Dean, too, because he doesn't "play his part" as a Democrat.

He speaks clearly and passionately, not getting caught up in Senator-speak and subtleties. The media can't handle that because Democrats aren't supposed to be like that. They're used to selling a Republican vs Democrat, straight-talker vs. complex-professor show. When the Democrat doesn't play his part, they go nuts because then they have to - GASP - explain things.

So until Democrats overcome these hangups, they'll have a hard time attracting disaffected Republicans. Which is sad, because the Bush Administration has screwed up so badly that it SHOULD be like shooting fish in a barrel.

If the Democratic party could suck it up for a few hours and work together, they could get 60% of any vote easily. Liberals, moderates, and economic conservatives - all of them would easily vote for a Democrat if one were put up that just spoke clearly and didn't look like he was afraid of Republicans. 

! B L U E WAR R I O R..!

• LSD Obsessed
  • "make a friend who was once a stranger" br.war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 02:20:55 AM »
alito gonna get in regardless of liberals poor crouching...
moderates and independents prevail!
If you prick us, do we not bleed?  
  if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison  
  us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not  
  revenge? m.of v. w.shaka                                             speare

paran0id

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 02:28:25 AM »
To a large degree, the republican party has become a one issue party.

ROFL :D