Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Columbia Hamilton Fellowship vs. Harvard/Yale  (Read 62786 times)

Denny Crane

• LSD Obsessed
  • Where's my Shirley Schmidt-ho?
    • View Profile
Re: Columbia Hamilton Fellowship vs. Harvard/Yale
« Reply #540 on: May 01, 2007, 02:41:14 PM »

just sent in my deposit to Columbia.

Where the f-ck did this come from?

Either way, congrats on making a decision!
Yale.Law.School.2010

moglidabear

• View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 01, 2007, 03:19:32 PM »

just sent in my deposit to Columbia.

twas a difficult decision. Decided that Columbia's offerings in intl law and labor are more or less equivalent to NYU's, and like NYU, my scholarship comes with a mentorship component. Also better scholarship, more renown
Good news from: Stanford, Harvard, Columbia (Hamilton), Boalt (scholarship), Yale, NYU (IILJ scholarship)
Waiting to hear back from: Penn.. supposedly lost my application!

nerdphanie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 02, 2007, 12:41:40 AM »
Wow, wasn't expecting that, but congrats!  I loved CLS when I visited and the Hamilton scholars I talked to had no regrets.

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 18, 2007, 05:33:44 PM »
Just received my Harvard aid "award": no grants, all loans.  I still want to go to HLS, but I also don't think it's worth $120,000 more than a CLS degree.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 13, 2007, 12:58:19 AM »
Just received my Harvard aid "award": no grants, all loans.  I still want to go to HLS, but I also don't think it's worth $120,000 more than a CLS degree.

Probably isn't: what do you want to do?

treppenwitz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: July 13, 2007, 05:30:51 PM »
Unsure.  Have some vague interests in arbitration between countries and human rights, but I am well aware that could (and probably will) change.  What probably won't change is that at the end of the day, I want to return to Canada or possibly Europe.

I think for what I am interested in doing at the moment, Columbia is as good if not better than Harvard.  But I think my unwillingness to stay in the US over a long period is where Harvard really shines over Columbia.  If I wanted to do corporate law in New York, I would be at Columbia already.  I am not interested in doing that type of work at the moment, however, and due to personal commitments I don't see myself living in the States for a long period of time after law school.

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

bass

• Sr. Citizen
  • Retired
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 13, 2007, 09:53:44 PM »
Unsure.  Have some vague interests in arbitration between countries and human rights, but I am well aware that could (and probably will) change.  What probably won't change is that at the end of the day, I want to return to Canada or possibly Europe.

I think for what I am interested in doing at the moment, Columbia is as good if not better than Harvard.  But I think my unwillingness to stay in the US over a long period is where Harvard really shines over Columbia.  If I wanted to do corporate law in New York, I would be at Columbia already.  I am not interested in doing that type of work at the moment, however, and due to personal commitments I don't see myself living in the States for a long period of time after law school.

Well, you're thinking about all of the right factors, and I have to agree with you on your analysis.  Best of luck.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 14, 2007, 05:29:12 AM »
Spoken from a European point of view, Harvard has a name recognition here that isn't even rivaled by Yale and Stanford. People in the 'know', thus law professionals, will certainly know and respect Columbia, but for laypersons - who tend to be your clients - Harvard really stands out.

heron

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: March 05, 2009, 01:22:25 PM »
I'm surprised that no one had revived this thread for this cycle. I would like to add Stanford to the thread title with Harvard and Yale. Looking through some of the posts from previous years, I am surprised that so few people seem concerned with Stanford. I am seriously considering going there. Is the East Coast bias so strong?

On a more timely note ...
Is anyone going to the Hamilton meeting tonight at Columbia? I am visiting right now, and I have been impressed with the faculty so far.